• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG lift replacement hydraulic hose specification - 100R16 vs 100R17

kman

I have a 600AJ that needs some (most all of them :() replaced. The one that I'm starting with first, when I inspect the hose markings, is a gates M3K-XTF (that's a SAE 100R17 spec hose with a tough cover on it that goes above and beyond the normal specification hose to resist abrasion and weathering).

And from what pics I can see the markings for on the JLG online express site that sells replacement hoses, they are also M3K or I think even the higher level mega-tough cover that gates makes possibly. And for those I can see (not sure if like this for all of them) I have seen 100R17 markings.

So, I could of course get a 100R17 spec hose or some other brand that has similar characteristics (SAE 100R17 and abrasion and weather resistance better outer cover), but while calling around locally, one custom build shop I got a quote from, would use an SAE 100R16 spec hose that is actually a double braid (where SAE 100R17 is single) and these still perform with a small min bending radius (which is basically the most important factor of these hoses on these lifts I think).

So, the question is, any harm in using an SAE 100R16 hose instead of the 100R17? I found one online supplier that offers an 100R16 hose with a "smooth cover" that seems to be a step up vs. the standard spec, and I did plan on upping the quality that I select for my replacement so that I can continue with something having a longer wear life. However, I don't plan on this machine sitting outside like it did in its former life as a rental unit and I don't see how it would/could get that much abrasion honestly so it mainly seems like the need is sun exposure and ozone that the tough cover helps with.

It just seems like a double braid that the R16 has is better than a single braid of the R17. But on the flip side maybe the biggest factor is the outer cover makeup being as durable and long-lasting and a hose leak due to only a single braid is not going to be as worrisome.

Anyone with thoughts on these machines with regard to this? Thanks in advance.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
The short answer is not there is no problem using R-16 hose in place of R-17 hose. The basic differences in the hose is that R-17 hose is a 3000psi hose all across the line no matter the size. R-16 hose varies in pressure ratings dependent upon size. I use almost everything R-16 because of the 1/2 bend radius of R-2 hose which is less expensive, but stiffer.