• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG Accuplace

Framer

What do people think about he new JLG with accuplace. Has anybody used one? Will it be reliable. I know there is a lot of people who don't like electronics on their machines for certain reasons. But for safety reasons electronics are usually very good. Ie: stopping agravating actions. So because all the manufacturers don't want lawsuits electronics for these purposes might be increasing.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Looks good if it works. Gradall had something like it years ago but they dumped it. Depending on the temp of hydraulic fluid / Viscosity it was not reliable. Few months ago I don't think they had very many sold. Seemed they were still testing.

icestationzebra

I believe that all telehandlers will switch to a vertical/horizontal type of control as opposed to the current hoist/extend. Sky Trak was working on it already in ~2001 but the valves weren't there yet. The question is really how long will it take everyone to adopt it. It greatly reduces the learning curve. You could even argue that it will reduce damage and accidents because the operator can better focus on the job - not what lever to grab.

The current situation is made worse because there is no standardization of the control layouts. Between Lull and SkyTrak alone in the early 2000's it was ridiculous because every series of machines had a different control layout, something like 7 different versions. Add in the other manufacturers in the America's and EU and you are easily looking at dozens of different control layouts.

On a slightly different note this shows that JLG want's the home team to be the high feature machine, Sky Trak the high value machine, and Lull the specialty machine. I would be surprised if they don't start to commonize the machines in the next couple of years. They could save a lot of money by eliminating several of the booms and cabs. Probably go with only Cummins engines and ZF drivetrains to get the best price break.

ISZ

barklee

It would be about time! I really dont understand why they still build the skytrak machine. The JLG does the same thing and is better all around (my opinion)

Speedpup

Occupation
Huge numbers of Sky Trac are sold. I really saw no advantage to them and even hate the look of them.

Framer

Skytrak is the cheapest maybe. From what I understand when I bought my machine JLG was similar in price to JCB and Manitou (the european built ones, not the american built ones). In Canadian dollars at the time I think it was for a 10 -54 - Skytrak 125, JLG 140, JCB 150, Manitou, 145, Genie/Terex 115. I don't know what kind of price you would get if you priced all these out now in Canadian Dollars. When I bought my machine the Canadian Dollar was low and used machines seemed expensive. I also used to get better money for my framing contracts. Wondering what new prices are like now (anybody)?

Framer

Cummins vs Deer?

I believe that all telehandlers will switch to a vertical/horizontal type of control as opposed to the current hoist/extend. Sky Trak was working on it already in ~2001 but the valves weren't there yet. The question is really how long will it take everyone to adopt it. It greatly reduces the learning curve. You could even argue that it will reduce damage and accidents because the operator can better focus on the job - not what lever to grab.

The current situation is made worse because there is no standardization of the control layouts. Between Lull and SkyTrak alone in the early 2000's it was ridiculous because every series of machines had a different control layout, something like 7 different versions. Add in the other manufacturers in the America's and EU and you are easily looking at dozens of different control layouts.

On a slightly different note this shows that JLG want's the home team to be the high feature machine, Sky Trak the high value machine, and Lull the specialty machine. I would be surprised if they don't start to commonize the machines in the next couple of years. They could save a lot of money by eliminating several of the booms and cabs. Probably go with only Cummins engines and ZF drivetrains to get the best price break.

ISZ

Is a cummins cheaper than a Deer? What would you're preference in engine be?

Speedpup

Occupation
Skytrak is the cheapest maybe. From what I understand when I bought my machine JLG was similar in price to JCB and Manitou (the european built ones, not the american built ones). In Canadian dollars at the time I think it was for a 10 -54 - Skytrak 125, JLG 140, JCB 150, Manitou, 145, Genie/Terex 115. I don't know what kind of price you would get if you priced all these out now in Canadian Dollars. When I bought my machine the Canadian Dollar was low and used machines seemed expensive. I also used to get better money for my framing contracts. Wondering what new prices are like now (anybody)?

I think from what I heard prices are in the tank for used and new. I see some new machines in the upper 60's.

barklee

The skytrak $94,500 . The JLG $124,900. I dont know if those were really good prices they were on machinerytrader. Im not a big fan of anything JCB, i guess i always think of cheap when i think of that.
I thought i saw you had a Manitou??? Thats the cadilac i would stay with one of those. Whats a Manitou going for new?

Framer

Don't understand your question. Not a dealer. Might start bringing in used machines from the states, using them on my job site and then selling them for profit. One guy out here seems to be doing pretty good.

Framer

Must be talking about the archaic jcb.

The skytrak $94,500 . The JLG $124,900. I dont know if those were really good prices they were on machinerytrader. Im not a big fan of anything JCB, i guess i always think of cheap when i think of that.
I thought i saw you had a Manitou??? Thats the cadilac i would stay with one of those. Whats a Manitou going for new?

There are some jcb's with high boom mounts that are probably american made knockoffs or old designs. The low mount digging machines seem to be caddilac. Used to own a 550-140 awsome machine, and reliable. Paid 146 can in dec 06 for my manitou 1745 (10-54) with 12' jib. Awsome machine if you don't have problems. Safe, quiet and capable and really comfortable to run. The 4 speed hydrostatic tranny is the difference, and the weight meter that stops you from going over forward are the biggest difference that makes it one of the best machines going. Love the seat mounted joystick that does it all, just bounces up and down with the seat and not the chassis. With skytrak / jcb / geinie etc cab mounted separate controls I find my left arm reaching across my body to push more than one control at a time. The hydrostatic takes the gearing completely out of operators hand unless you have to road it, then you have to stop the machine to get it into high gear. Its not slow roading like some gradalls. Besides I don't like the machine moving to fast on site anyways, just a recipe for big problems (accidents, extra wear and tear on machine):bash

barklee

My gehl 1155 looks almost identical to yours. I wander how similar they are. If you get a chance can you post some pics of the controls and motor? Maybe where the boom mounts to the chassis? Thanks

icestationzebra

Is a cummins cheaper than a Deer? What would you're preference in engine be?

Cummins 3.3/3.9/4.5
Good - I've always had good luck with Cummins B series. I know for a fact in the 1998-2005 time frame the Cummins 3.9 was cheaper than a comparable hp Deere 4.5. Much more common, easier and cheaper to fix. Many parts common with the 5.9 in the Dodge trucks and CaseIH equipment. I have had some good experience with the 3.3 and have heard nothing but good things.​

Bad - The pull/hold fuel solenoid on the inline pumps fail frequently, but they are easy to fix. They also don't have a balance shaft, so they tend to be hard on exhaust systems and motor mounts. Some of the Tier II motors (approx 2003-08) can be cold blooded if the battery isn't up to snuff.​

Deere 4.5
I can't complain about the Deere, but I don't have nearly as much experience with them. The Deere comes with sleeves where the Cummins is parent metal bore - but this is only really important if you plan on keeping it long enough to get into a rebuild. I believe the Deere also has a balance shaft, so your exhaust system should last longer. The Deere's are also a little quieter.

ISZ

barklee

We have two Lull 1044c's, one with the cummins and one with the deere.
The deere has a more power. I dont know if its just me but it sure seems that way. We have had no trouble with the deere at 6000hrs, the cummins has 2400hrs and has had a little trouble...three or four starters, fuel pump, exhaust (i think) . Both are good motors but i favor the deere for the power and design...easy to get around on one easy to get service parts.
Just my 3.14545675 cents

icestationzebra

"What about perkins? I've heard they are the same as cat but don't know the difference. "

Cat bought Perkins at the end of 1997 to fill out the small end of their engine line. I haven't done much with Perkins, but Cat seems to have left them alone (except for the infusion of "Accert" technology :rolleyes:). The little CAT engines are Perkins wearing yellow paint.

ISZ

Speedpup

Occupation
"What about perkins? I've heard they are the same as cat but don't know the difference. "

Cat bought Perkins at the end of 1997 to fill out the small end of their engine line. I haven't done much with Perkins, but Cat seems to have left them alone (except for the infusion of "Accert" technology :rolleyes:). The little CAT engines are Perkins wearing yellow paint.

ISZ

Is that what CAT uses in the new JLG/Cat lifts? thanks!