• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD450B Steer Clutch Adjustment

Nick350

Hey ya'll, I am in the market for a smallish dozer and am considering going to look at a JD450B nearish me (I live in Central TN). He finished the work he needed to and now its been sitting for about a year

The owner says the steering clutches and breaks were replaced before he got it about a year and a half ago-2 years ago. He also said the steering clutches will need to be adjusted for it to steer currently but it brakes good.

I am not new to equipment but am to dozers, is the an easy job? (something I could do there before paying?) Right now he is asking $10k (pics below), below my budget so happy to get a discounted piece if possible / it is a good buy. Let me know ya'lls opinions.

I'm gonna be using one to build a dirt bike track, hoping to get a JD450b/c. Its just the right size given what I'm working with

dozer1.png
dozer 2.png

Welder Dave

A Cat D3B or D3C would be another good machine to consider and maybe a Case 550G. They were fairly common. A skid steer is a great machine to have for building an MX track. A CTL too but more maintenance and not as good for packing jumps or rollers. The nice thing with a skid steer or CTL is you can see exactly what the bucket edge is doing.

Nick350

If you need the procedure it’s in the operators manual.
https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/search?p0=model&p0_v=450B&p1=search&p1_v=OMT40817_BN&pattr=p0,p1 .
I’m thinking there are more issues involved, if it is only an adjustment required the owner would have attempted it already.
Thanks for the manual, I'll be staying away from this machine
A Cat D3B or D3C would be another good machine to consider and maybe a Case 550G. They were fairly common. A skid steer is a great machine to have for building an MX track. A CTL too but more maintenance and not as good for packing jumps or rollers. The nice thing with a skid steer or CTL is you can see exactly what the bucket edge is doing.
Thanks for the advice, I would love a tracked skiddy for the track, would make grooming way easier.

We have a ton of elevation on our track and the dozer will help with cutting some cross slope lanes in.

Been building with a tractor and a big backhoe, takes forever but get the job done

Tyler d4c

10000 for a 450b is about 9400 too much
Like wd said find something like a little cat.
I may just hate them old deere dozers we use to repair many of them

Nick350

10000 for a 450b is about 9400 too much
Like wd said find something like a little cat.
I may just hate them old deere dozers we use to repair many of them
I would love a Cat but they are hard to come by in my price range.
Any tips on some things to lookout for on the 450b/c?

Tyler d4c

Get a c then you get wet clutches.
If it looks like a train wreak it probably is. Make sure where the track frames attach isn't loose with a machine this old it is only worth what the under carrage is as in if the bottom is worn out it's worth next to nothing.

Nick350

Get a c then you get wet clutches.
If it looks like a train wreak it probably is. Make sure where the track frames attach isn't loose with a machine this old it is only worth what the under carrage is as in if the bottom is worn out it's worth next to nothing.
thanks, appreciate the advice!