• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD Tractor 2950 6359 cu timing help

tony1224

timing finally is ok. no I have not check the piston above the block, but I will do so when I pull the head. Also I will look on the piston for the letter that is stamp on. What is the difference from the letter "B" or "H" ?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What is the difference from the letter "B" or "H" ?

In the days gone by there used to be some hard starting issues with the older engines that was addressed with "taller" pistons to increase compression and improve starting. However the protrusion had to be checked to make sure they weren't too tall. Those pistons were stamped with an "H". Standard pistons were stamped with a "B". I do not think Deere offers those options anymore for those older engines. The parts page does not show them but they didn't in the past either. They were in a bulletin that was issued. Although they may not offer them anymore it just made me wonder if some fell through the cracks and made it into the liner kits.

tony1224

I really don't know why this happen. It was nothing wrong with this engine. The tractor was always run pretty good , what happen is that I have other tractors so this one we hardly used and it was left for about 2 years in the field and when we went to started up the engine was lock and had a lot of water in it. I took the engine apart and got it free, so we went ahead to do an inframe rebuild , we keep the same pistons we got new bearing ,pistons rings, now new lifters and pushrods, new fuel lift pump and rebuild the injection pump. the only thing that I didn't do was to remove the camshaft and check the bearings. Unless something is wrong with the bearings or the camshaft I really don't know what else can be bending some of the pushrods not all of then this is happening to. Thanks for all the help and I will post by this weekend as soon that i pull out the camshaft , I'm hopping that something is wrong.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Do the new lifters move freely in there bores? Maybe there is still a little rust hanging them up.

john hofer

Had the same issue with a 6404 jd
The cam bearing were bad and at some point seized the cam and stripped the half moon key in the drive gear when the key stripped it locked in at a different position took I while to find that out