• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD Tractor 2950 6359 cu timing help

tony1224

I just rebuild the engine on a John Deere tractor 2950 and I need help on setting the timing . the camshaft gear has a mark to set the timing. The injection pump don't have any mark in the gear the only thing , I see is 14, 19 , 13. The injection pump is the is the Roto Diesel that have letter from A to H . the letter H is for setting the timing on a 6 cylinder engine . Please help

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I see is 14, 19 , 13.

I believe what you are seeing is a timing mark with either a 3, 4 or 6 next to it. You would use the mark with the "6" next to it. If you post that picture I asked for I will confirm it.

tony1224

I believe what you are seeing is a timing mark with either a 3, 4 or 6 next to it. You would use the mark with the "6" next to it. If you post that picture I asked for I will confirm it.
thanks for the reply. I did check on the gear and you are right. I when with the mark 6 and still won't start. Here is how I'm doing the time ,tell me if it is right.
I remove the #1 injector and crank the motor until I feel the compression comes out as check to make sure that the piston is all the way to the top and the 2 valve on the cylinder #1 are close, I used the camshaft mark on the gear to be inline with the crankshaft ( JD254) that is the JD timing tool. then I do used the mark 6 on the gear on the injection pump to be inline with the tool looking at the crankshaft . Can you tell me if I'm doing it right?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
You should use a timing pin in the flywheel when #1 is TDC. Then the marks on the cam and the fuel pump should line up with the crank with the tool.

tony1224

I try looking trough the hole in the flywheel for the pin but I can find one . Nothing happen to the pump . I just did an in frame rebuild of the engine .

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I try looking trough the hole in the flywheel for the pin but I can find one

There should be a small hole (about 5/16") on the opposite side of the starter on the forward side of the flywheel housing.

tony1224

Ok I found the pin hole and the timing I have it is pretty close maybe have to move the camshaft back a little but not much. I'm in the process of doing that. I will post as soon that I know something .Thank you guys for the help. I have done Ford, Cumin, Chevy, Mopar and others . this is my first John Deere and it has take to school.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Don’t forget, that flywheel hole will come up TWICE..
Once for TDC compression & another for TDC exhaust..
What do u mean by moving the crank shaft back.??

tony1224

Quote : Don’t forget, that flywheel hole will come up TWICE..
Once for TDC compression & another for TDC exhaust..
What do u mean by moving the crank shaft back.??

I'm replying to this quote I know that is two hole on the flywheel . I'm using the one that #1 piston is on top. I got the tractor the other the to try to fire up , I stop right there and start to adjust the valve but today I realize that some of the pushrods was bent. I change the pushrods but now I got a new problem. When you try to turn the engine as the valve open starts to put a lot of pressure on the engine and it is hard to turn by hand. Now if you turn loose the rocker arms the engine will turn very nice . this just happen after I saw the pushrods bent, cause the other day before this happen it was turning find. what do you think that what happen Can the camshaft be bent or the valve . What gets me is that everything was check before rebuilding the engine and all the parts check find .This John Deere it is taking me me back to school, never on all the engines I have rebuild this has happen before. Thank you guy's a lot.

tony1224

I understand what you are saying, can you please help here. It is to pin holes in the flywheel. On one the piston #1 and #6 are down and on the other one the piston #1 and #6 are on top. I'm using the one on tap ounces the #1 piston is on top I make sure that the pin hole is alien with the ,that is how I adjust the valve #1 , 3 and exhaust and #1 , 2 , 4 intake then I turn the crankshaft 360 degree and then I do the rest of the valve . I just want to know if I'm doing it right. Ounce again thank you for your help

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
If you bent push rods as you stated I would check cam to crank timing before anything else.you obviously have some interference problems to deal with before fuel pump timing

tony1224

This is an update on the JD 2950. I remove the head ,then I remove the valve and they are bent. So I got a set of new lifter and pushrods. I'm still having the same problem , about 5 pushrods are getting bent no matter what you do I have adjust the valve with # 1 piston on compression, I have even going as far as doing piston by piston and still have same issue. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the head again ,the lifters and pulling the Camshaft out, cause everything else is in order. Can this happen if the camshaft bearing are bad? Thank you guys for all the help. I will keep you guys posted. as soon that I find out if I even found anything. This is the fert time that something like this happen to me...It is taking back to school. Lol

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did you double check your timing mark alignment on the gears?
Did you measure piston protrusion above the block? Maximum spec is 0.013".
Is there a "B" or an "H" stamped on the piston top?