• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 490E hydraulic pump conversion HPV091DS

Bryan Hooey

After listing the above I was able to download instructions for installing the hydraulic pump conversion kit on my JD490E serial# under 25000. I ordered the kit off Ebay for 549.00. The downloaded instructions were not the best but after a dozen reads, I figured it out. When the kit arrived there were no English instructions as advertised. A T fitting that allowes 2 hoses to be hooked to the same port was missing, I made one by drilling the right angled fitting through & brazing a fitting for the hose on top of the angle. The conversion worked great first try. The thing we can't figure out is why we can't. put as much hydraulic oil back in the machine as we took out. We operated it for a 1/2 hour, as the fluid heated the excess came out the overflow & the witness glass is at the top. Any theories out there?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Generally, with the oil at operating temperature, the stick is run all the way out, bucket opened to full dump and the boom lowered so everything is on the ground. That puts the oil to the highest level it can go in the tank. There is usually a decal close to the sight glass.

Bryan Hooey

I have always parked my excavator like that when the computer was operating & the fluid would be in the middle of the site glass. However, after I installed the hydraulic conversion, the tank would only take about 17 gals of the 25 we took out. I thought the system needed to purge the air out, so I ran it for a short time, no difference, so I worked it for a half hour, no difference. When I put everything on "the ground" the tank is full to the top????? Mystery to me

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
No need to bold type. I was just checking that you knew that parking placement can change the level in the glass. Did you take out anything when doing the conversion? Is the fluid running warmer?

shopguy

Your cooler and it’s piping may be empty if your conversion messed up the warm up circuit,just a thought.

Bryan Hooey

Thanks for the input sorry about the bold type I must have forgotten to take the capital type off. Old age! Your input about the oil cooler is something I didn't think about, the cooler may have an air lock or whatever, I will keep a close eye on it. The only other thing we did was to install a new suction filter. The conversion is based on the hydraulic pumps & only has one hose leaves the main pump & goes to the spool block. No factory hoses were removed. The heat gauge runs off the engine, there is no gauge for the hydraulic fluid temperature. My old JD450B that I have had from almost new has a hydraulic temp gauge. I will let you know as I work it more. Offhand where does the radiator return hose exit from?

Gary maher

After listing the above I was able to download instructions for installing the hydraulic pump conversion kit on my JD490E serial# under 25000. I ordered the kit off Ebay for 549.00. The downloaded instructions were not the best but after a dozen reads, I figured it out. When the kit arrived there were no English instructions as advertised. A T fitting that allowes 2 hoses to be hooked to the same port was missing, I made one by drilling the right angled fitting through & brazing a fitting for the hose on top of the angle. The conversion worked great first try. The thing we can't figure out is why we can't. put as much hydraulic oil back in the machine as we took out. We operated it for a 1/2 hour, as the fluid heated the excess came out the overflow & the witness glass is at the top. Any theories out there?
Could you share the instructions

Bryan Hooey

Hi Gary, I downloaded the instructions & would be happy to share them with you. I solved the overfill mystery, the kid helping me put an extra 5 gal in without telling me. The one thing I found is that the functions do not have quite the power as before. I added more shims, with no difference noticed. other than that & having to make the T fitting the conversion has worked great

Gary maher

Hi Gary, I downloaded the instructions & would be happy to share them with you. I solved the overfill mystery, the kid helping me put an extra 5 gal in without telling me. The one thing I found is that the functions do not have quite the power as before. I added more shims, with no difference noticed. other than that & having to make the T fitting the conversion has worked great
Could u send them to garymahersr@aol.com thanks