• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 470G LC vs Hitachi ZX470LC-5

rshackleford

I am looking for a 45-ton machine. In my search, I have kind of fallen for these two machines. I have searched and downloaded brochures. I have been lead to believe that they are the "same" machine but my research says otherwise. The thing that I am noticing for sure is about a 3000 lb difference in operating weight, which is the make or break for me being able to haul with my low boy as is.

Anyone have thoughts on these two machines, their likes or differences, and what they might actually weight?

Thanks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The general nomenclature for excavator model numbers would indicate those machines are 47 metric tons which would convert to 103,400 pounds give or take. If those machines are manufactured in about the same year they will likely have little difference. The hydraulic systems will be the same. They may have different engines and all the rest of the hard parts will be the same other than the option packages and specific attachments ordered with the machine.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
They are identical except for the engine. If the weights are different it may be due (for example) to one of them being a long stick and the other a standard stick.

rshackleford

I've heard that they are identical but it doesn't seem to be true. I don't know the actual machine weights but by only looking at the manufacturer brochure data they are not identical and have different weights.

John C.

Occupation
Enlighten us as to the differences in the machines. Maybe post a spec sheet on each.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Direct from Hitachi's website. Looks identical to me.

Attachments

• ZX470LC-5 _ Hitachi comparison.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

rshackleford

That's totally different than their brochures.

Hitachi 108,952 lbs.
Deere 112,916 lbs

Attachments

• JD 470G.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 10
  • HITACHI ZX470LC-5_specs.pdf
    868.2 KB · Views: 8

mister laugh

The john Deere brochure brochure says it includes the counterweight removal device in the operating weight, the hitachi does not. This is optional and whatever you are looking at it may not have it. If you are that close to legal oh hauling it you will want to pay VER CLOSE attention to the way the two machines are configured, options and boom and arm length, not just look at brochure operating weights. The machines are the same when optioned the same.

AzIron

Has anyone ever seen a machine weigh what the factory weight is out in the real world I always find machines to weigh more than book weight

So my question is at 3000 pounds to overweight what's it going to cost you if it turns out to heavy for your lowboy

PipelinerPaul

Does anyone know what the actual static weight of these machines are? We are looking at both Hitachi and JD 450 & 470 machines. Our current heavy haul is only capable of hauling 87k lbs. The 450's will clear this with the counterweight and bucket removed, but the 470's look to be a tick over. Just curious as to how accurate the spec sheets really are, we're finding many more 470 size machines available than the 450. Thank you

John C.

Occupation
What are the differences between a 450 and a 470. My impression has always been that the counterweights are a little heavier and there might be a little more horsepower from the engines. The general consensus over the years is that the manufactures are always changing model numbers to better fit a perceived market advantage.