• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410C fuel trouble

Dean

Hi,

My 410C runs like crap. It starts right up but won't run past 1000 rpm. After a min or so it runs even slower. Then it dies. Someone told me that bacteria in the fuel will cause the motor to run like that. He said to clean the fuel injector returns. Anybody hear of such a thing?

Thank you
Dean

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
There are microrganisms that grow in diesel, but I wouldn't go there first. Have you changed your fuel filters? That's the first thing to do.

Dean

Yes I changed the fuel filter. There is lots of fuel to the filter and the lift pump seems to work good. So it is after that. The air filter is good and the motor doesn't smoke very much.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, let's see if someone can figure this one out then.

Let's see, it starts right up. That's worth noting.

Will rev to about 1000 r's and no more, then after a few minutes begins to run slower, then dies. Question; right then, will the motor restart?

Dean

Yes it will restart and rev up like there is nothing wrong. The motor then slows down and slowly dies. It dies in various times. It isn't consistant except it won't rev over 1000 rpm.

I just bought this backhoe last month and haven't run it very much. Maybe 30 mins. But when I got it, it was able to rev up. So this inability to rev is new.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hmmm, interesting.

You could have a problem with your injection pump. But I would not go there until I first check the fuel delivery system because it just sound like delivery is being restricted. I'd even check the tank. I worked on a 315 Cat once that suffered power loss during digging, to the point of engine stalling, then after a few minutes it would recover just to do the same thing. After checking fuel delivery system, I removed the 90 degree fuel petcock in the bottom of the tank just to find a twig lodged in it which wouldn't allow enough fuel for hard running. I'd check the whole delivery system as a first thing and work my way to the injection pump. ;)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had a JD 410 that drove me nuts. In cold weather it would quit like it was gelling up, but even with treated fuel. I tried everything I could think of, fuel filters and all kinds of different additives, even tried a 50/50 kerosene blend, but no change. Finally out of frustration, I drained all the fuel and flushed the tank and fuel lines with the garden hose. I never discovered what was causing the problem, but it never happened again.

I think ATCOEQUIP is pointing you in the right direction.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Disconnect the fuel supply to the lift pump and feed the pump from a container if in doubt about your supply. Sometimes lift pumps have a small screen in them under a cover.

Sounds like a restricted supply, some air leakage into the system on the suction side, or possibly a restricted fuel return, or low internal pump supply pressure.

A small air leak on the suction side might be a possibility. If your fuel tank is lower than the injection pump, it's always an area for concern. Banjo fittings are notorious for air leaks. Disconnecting the fuel return to tank line and watching the flow from it, is one way to check for air in fuel.