• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410 Backhoe

arnstein77

My backhoe is a strong digger, but when driving it its weak. Is this normal on these machines?

A little uphill and I have to go turtle slow or the engine will stall.

Could it help to replace the Oil filters on the hydraulics?

Delmer

If slowing the engine speed down keeps the engine from stalling, then I'll guess you have a fuel starvation issue. When the engine stalls, are you getting black smoke from the exhaust?

OldandWorn

I guess you got your new clutch in OK? From what i can tell, the engine on my 410 is like brand new and seems powerful but going up hills really drags it down in the taller gears. 60 some horsepower pulling 15,000 pounds around it what I reckon.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had a 410, I could only use high gear on level or downgrades. If I remember correctly, it's a 4 speed with high/low range? I don't recall having to drop out of high range when transporting, but I would have to go down to 1H or 5th on steeper grades. Like you mentioned, a lot of weight without a lot of HP.