• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310 steering problem

Deon

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find parts for a JD 310 Backhoe in Canada or a company that ships to Canada? I am looking for 1975 power steering housing.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Try NB Stock 1-800-561-8722. They are in NB. I have never purchased anything there but my Deere dealer told be they part out Deere tractors for parts.

Pam

Thank you outbackrider and Deon. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Well thought I had the steering fixed guess not got to put it to work over the weekend and the steering stops and starts about ever minute or so.Does anyone think the Accumulator could be the problem. I was told they changed them on the next years from a vertical to horizotal type. Could air in the system be the problem where it can pass through the open system on the hoe and bucket but not the closed system on the steering? Also noticed it shifted slow from forward the reverse and back. And could someone with a straight 310 measure there hydraulic dip stick mine has been welded and not sure it's right.

chroniekon

If my memory serves me correctly, you said you had the manual. In the Power Train, Reverser section (50-20-8) it gives the procedure for adjusting the speed of the shift of the reverser. Should be between 3/4 to 1 1/4 seconds. If you don't have a manual, let me know and I'll copy and paste the information for you.
I measured the hydraulic dip stick on my 1974 310. From the top of the plastic knob to the end of the stick---22 5/16 inches. The measurement from the sealing surface (gasket area) to the end of the stick is 21 1/16 inches.

outbackrider

Thanks Chroniekon.
Any way you could measure from the top of the plastic knob to the full line on the stick.
Also, can you measure from the full line to the add line?

Thanks for your help.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks Chroniekon
Yes I have the manual and I should have looked there first. Mine has a good 3 second delay. Been so spun out about the steering problem after spending so much time and money to rebuild everything with no success at all. Thanks for the mesurments that is a big help my dipstick has been chewed on by something and welded and is in pretty bad shape. Called around to find a new or used one with no luck.

Thanks for the help

chroniekon

From the top of the plastic knob to the full line---21 3/8 inches
From the full line to the add line---1/2 inch

Most interest I've had in my dipstick in a while!

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Well I got the steering problem fixed this time I bypassed the Accumulator and the problem with the steering quit. Drove it around for an 1/2 hour and the power steering never quit working. So can anyone tell me if the acummulator not hooked up is going to be a problem sure don't seem like it the bucket and hoe and steering all work fine.

Deon

That's amazing that bypassing the accumulator solved your steering problem. The accumulator is to soften the F/R shift action, so I thought. How does it shift when your changing direction? Are the shifts abrupt?

outbackrider

On my 310 I planned on getting the accumulator recharged, but I posted on yesterday's tractors....ytmag.com
And they basically said I didn't need it...you can search the ytmag.com site
John deere backhoe 310 accumulator...see what you think.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
I think the accumulator was accumulating air in the system and when it went into the steering it messed it up for a period till it worked it's way out. It had a bad lag in the F/R shifting about 3 sec. lag. Adjusted the screw to fix that and its about 1/2 second lag it's not bad going to reverse but a little sharp going forword. So I guess I need to replace the accumulator to fix it right? I have spent way to much rebuilding this hoe front to back about 5k so far but where do you quiet.

trevor b

pam where are you located? the reason i ask is i live 20 klm's from the border and get my parts shipped to ups store and give them $5.00 to receve the package bring it back over the border and pay tax's way cheeper than shipping to canada trevor b