• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310 steering problem

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
I have a JD straight 310 about 1975 model that I bought last year. It spent the winter in a repair shop get things fix including the steering. When I test drove it to buy it the steering was fine when I went to get it with my lowboy the steering would come and go. The repair shop thought it was air get in the hydrulic oil it worked fine when I picked it up there. Yesterday I went to put it in my shop to grease it and the steering quit working agian. Anyone had that problem with one of these early 310's they have kind of a strange steering system

Thanks David

outbackrider

I have a 310 also...make sure the fluid level is topped off...I just got mine late spring and
it lost power steering....I added fluid and she worked great....hope it is that easy.
Also don't know if I can point you in this direction, but due to the age of the machine
I have found ytmag dot com to also be a helpful sight for these old machines.

sbarrett

Occupation
engine builder ,machinist
i have a 310a that have owned for about a year now,been learning as i go,but not an expert,first of all,do all the other functions work properly,if they do,than oil supply or pressure, are most likely not the problem,because the steering function,gets priority before anything else.if you have problems with other functions not working,i would have to check pressures at the main pump,at the front of the engine.

leisureexpress

Yep, low oil level caused the same steering troubles for me. Add oil and it worked fine.

Low oil also starved the reverser and it would just stop going forward when pointed up hill.

As above, check it first and go from there.

chroniekon

I have the same machine (1974) There is a valve, I think it's called a priority valve, that directs pressure where and when it's needed. If you're using the hoe, pressure goes there. If you're using the loader and steering, it goes there. Perhaps something is going on with this valve.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks for the replys everyone been out of town over the weekend. All the other functions work and just changed all the filters and oil. That priority valve may be the problen anybody tell me how to check it. That would explain why the steering comes and goes. Could another valve be bypassing somehow and make the priority valve miss direct the fluid?

sbarrett

Occupation
engine builder ,machinist
i really dont think that valve is the problem,because the oil supply for the steering is first in line right out of the pump.my 310a has a line that comes out of the main pump,tees off and one line goes to the accumulator and then feeds the steering and priority valve.i suppose if the valve was stuck internally,or if it had a broken spring,then it might cause a problem,but then i would think the loader and backoe would not work.there,s not much to the valve,it,s harder to get off then it is to work on.you have to remove it then put it in a vise and disassemble it.there are specifications in the book for spring length and pressures.you could also try to block off the line to the priority valve and see if the steering works.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks I'll try that at this point I'll try anything. To the guys that fixed the problem by adding oil did you over fill it mine is right on the full line.

outbackrider

Actually I added about a 3/4 of a gallon....but, I have one problem...my transmission dipstick appears that it was once
broken and then welded by the previous owner... so I'm not exactly sure that the full mark is at the correct spot...Perhaps
one of you could measure and help me out in this....
Who knows, some one may have replaced yours with a replacement that is not the right part...I have seen this plenty
of times before....you may think your right at full, and be low.

Also, look at this other website... yesterday's tractor at ytmag.com search under John Deere 310 Backhoe Steering...some real good posts over there on the vintage 310 and 410 backhoe models, some expert mechanics have answered some good questions...

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
WOW glad you replyed thanks my dip stick is all chewed up that could be it at least worth checking looks like it got into a gear at one point

outbackrider

I came across this, perhaps it may help you also. This is the early 410 with the same drag link steering....

Problem:
Hi: I'm having a problem with the power steering on my 74 410 backhoe, there is no power steering at all. It is the type that has the drag links, no hyd cylinders..

Mechanic:
Re: John deere 410 backhoe steering problem

How did the problem first appear ?? Just stopped steering one day? There was a check valve of some sort at the fitting at the steering valve where the pressure line enters it. Maybe disassemble that and check for a blockage.. If it was something major that broke I would think it would be visible when you disassembled it.

Does the steering wheel turn the wheels at all or you just don't have the power assist? The turning of the wheel positions the valves inside the column to route pressure oil to either the top of the piston or the bottom of the piston in the lower portion of the valve. It has a mechanical link from the wheel to the drag link, so If the wheel just turns freely, theres something broken.According to serial number of the machine, there may be a check valve thats part of the elbow fitting at the base of the valve. That may be blocked or somehow damaged internally and blocking oil.

When you turn the steering wheel it activates the valves that are mounted on the shaft just under the steering wheel . Youre also, at the same time screwing that shaft into or out of the piston assembly at the bottom.. The valves on the upper portion send hydraulic pressure to either the top of or to the bottom of that piston on the lower portion depending on if the wheels turned left or right.. This makes the piston assist in the up and down movement of the steering linkage that eventually turns into forward and aft movement of the drag link.

Resulting fix:
OK! So the problem was that the spring in the check valve disapeared causing the ball and seat to close off the hydraulic fluid passages,causing no power steering.Easy fix if you know that there is one there!!

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks thats a good place to start after adding a little bit of oil. hope to have time this weekend to work on it.
Thanks David

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks I bought the tech manual after I bought the Backhoe. The steering started working again so I think I'll check the pressures and the check valve in the dash colum part I think thats where I'll find the problem. If it would stay broke it would be a lot simpler if I don't find the problem it will quit as soon as I haul it 60 mile up to my cabin.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Well we found the problem it was in the steering colum the shim packs were coming apart and hanging up the valves in there. So glad to find it after about 9 months looking. Not a cheap fix parts ran $712.00 hope this will help anyone that has the same problem with the power steering working one day and not the next.

Vern B

Occupation
Retired, but buy, sell and mostly export construct
Dave

I saw your thread from 2010 regarding the steering box issue with your AW grader. I am having the same issue
and either need a new box, or rebuild mine. I'm new to this site and not sure how to message you. Not sure if I have
to wait a certain length of time before I can message?? Just wondering what you ended up doing to repair/replace your steering box?

Pam

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find parts for a JD 310 Backhoe in Canada or a company that ships to Canada? I am looking for 1975 power steering housing.

Thank you in advance for you help.

outbackrider

Here in the states, there is a national search database that the salvage dealers use.
This is not JD dealers, this is general heavy equipment salvage dealers....

I would expect the same up north, complete a search on JD salvage dealers in your area
look up your part numbers on JDpartsdotcom and casting number off your unit and call them. I had a search completed
for a swing frame, located one out west. I'm assuming you need the cast steering housing.
Also, cross reference the part to other JD tractors....I did a quick search, having a later model 310 the cast steering housing part number looks like it is AT41310 this cross references to being used on the following JD tractors: 300B, 301A, 401B, 401C, 302, 302A. Just make sure you double check all of this....If you can confirm it was used on these, this will help broaden your search, perhaps maybe even into the agricultural tractors....Hope you find it...

Last edited: