• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It Begins: Big Bud Tractor to be Produced Again, Simple and Repairable

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
From what I've found the "new" Big Bud will be a powertrain upgraded model 740, the 2nd largest tractor ever built, using all Cat mining components.
At 80k lbs and huge, I'm guessing it's being aimed at the earthmoving side, rather than ag.
Not something you'll move easily in rural Michigan....a 535/50 didn't get around easily here.
Search youtube for Big Bud 740, 1 video on the original.

Ed

Truck Shop

You know farm equipment and earth moving equipment just isn't big enough. John Barley Corn should
be able to take care of a thousand acres in just 12 passes. The tires should be 200' tall, there should be
a elevator to take him to the top. As he is driving his cab is at the soaring height of eagles and hawks.
His service truck would need to be as big plus a transport tanker for fuel and oil twice a day. Smoke stacks
twice the size of the Titanic. Headlights so big and bright those can be seen three counties away. It creates
enough dust it looks like the Dust Bowl storms of the 1930's. Imagine what he could get done in one day.
More time to sit at the local cafe drinking coffee with all his Big Buds cussing the nation.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bring up a good point TS a farm tractor surrounded in dust or a set of Pans raising a dust cloud can barely see thru and enviro nuts are worried over a eye dropper of carbon dust from the exhaust on those.

A barrel of hypocrisy.

Truck Shop

The dust storms around here are pretty common, enough you can taste it. I can clean the glass table top
in the morning by afternoon a nice layer on the patio. just the way it is, but not quite as bad since no-till
came along.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There was a Big Budd tractor that had a Komatsu SD170 engine running around 450 to 500 horsepower back in the nineties. Wasn't enough so the owners played with the rack screw and blew the engine up. Brought to the dealer where I worked and it was put back together and run in on the dyno. Found it running at more than 700 horses. Governor was reset and the engine returned and installed. It didn't run but a couple of weeks and broke again. The owner was screaming warranty and we should fix it at our cost. Engine guy got out there and found a different turbocharger installed and the rack seal cut and the new paint broke all around the back of the governor. Things got a little tense with them ever after.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
There was a Big Budd tractor that had a Komatsu SD170 engine running around 450 to 500 horsepower back in the nineties. Wasn't enough so the owners played with the rack screw and blew the engine up. Brought to the dealer where I worked and it was put back together and run in on the dyno. Found it running at more than 700 horses. Governor was reset and the engine returned and installed. It didn't run but a couple of weeks and broke again. The owner was screaming warranty and we should fix it at our cost. Engine guy got out there and found a different turbocharger installed and the rack seal cut and the new paint broke all around the back of the governor. Things got a little tense with them ever after.
They quit logging to become farmers ....:D

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Is there really any difference between a logger and a farmer, other than one has to drive fifty to a hundred miles or more a day just to go to work.

Welder Dave

A while ago on another thread it was mentioned that part of the reason Cat dozers last longer is because they aren't pushed to the limits as far as HP and drivetrain go. The turbo 3204's in the 953 are an example where they did push a little too much (as far as HP) and the result is the engines require more frequent rebuilds than if they would have used a larger displacement engine. It's ironic that in smaller machines like D3's and 931's they list lower HP per displacement as one of the features of the machines.

Tyler d4c

A while ago on another thread it was mentioned that part of the reason Cat dozers last longer is because they aren't pushed to the limits as far as HP and drivetrain go. The turbo 3204's in the 953 are an example where they did push a little too much (as far as HP) and the result is the engines require more frequent rebuilds than if they would have used a larger displacement engine. It's ironic that in smaller machines like D3's and 931's they list lower HP per displacement as one of the features of the machines.
Seems the modern way for example by 3.5 eco boost will out drag the 7.3 diesel dad bought new in 2000 but I'm sure it won't do it for 300000. It's currently at 70000 and it's a touch weaker then new I think as it is. If it explodes I'll worry.

Welder Dave

My mechanic friend had a 3.5 Eco boost with almost 300,000km. He had heard all the stories they carbon up and won't last. If properly maintained and driven have proven to be reliable over the long term.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wife had a 2010 Equinox, 2.4 4whapper, I got a 2010 Impala same time, 3.6v6, Roughly same mpg 25 Impala, 26 on good day Equinox, she loved the little nimble gutless car until snowed then was a skateboard with no wheels. As it made 65,000 was starting to use oil so it went away. Pimpala is still running uses less than 1/2 quart to a oil change by Dash Indicator time not on set miles at 170,000mi. My tired 7.3 has used quart of oil to 5000 mi service intervals since had 80,000mi, is on 340,000 currently and body is gonna fall off before drive train quits.

Old pickup has seen better days, made 17mpg when new on Hwy, Fed fuel changes dropped to 11mpg, reprogram brought back up to 15 empty, will still get 8mpg overloaded as have done to it.

AzIron

The drive line was not even installed looked to be cummins powered but not sure if it was new power or rebuilt the line to talk was a little long when I went by