1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is It Time For Linux?

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by Birken Vogt, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I keep all my stuff on the local computer backed up off site. I can't stand the idea of the cloud holding everything.

My computer is getting older and I need something faster.

I have not used anything MS for a long time except what I could live without. My accounting is open source software. My word processor/spreadsheet is Open Office. I use Firefox and Thunderbird.

I do not like the Windows 10 idea either of subscription whatever that means.

What prevents the next computer from being Linux?

2. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Only a short learning curve I think. I'm leaning that way myself, I'm on Win7 and not particularly fond of it, when they pull the plug on support I'll have to go Linux or Apple.

AusDave and mikebramel like this.
  3. daddy2kids

daddy2kids Member

I use multiple boot so I can move from one OS to another.

mikebramel likes this.
  4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

Only reason my desktop isn't linux is gaming. Some day i'll get tired of doing everything on a 7" tablet and buy a new laptop and promptly replace windows 10 with linux of some flavor or another.

5. Former Wrench

Former Wrench Senior Member

Road Construction Permit Analyst
    I fired Bill Gates and Windows a couple of years back and have been very pleased with Linux. It does everything I need doing.

6. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Sometimes windows will be needed for certain items that need firmware updates via special tools. Except when updating some firmware or moving files from a gopro, I'm entirely running under linux. Separate machines though. Linux is much less of a pain in the ass as far as updates and knowing what the system is doing.

7. zhkent

zhkent Senior Member

Earthmoving
    I like linux Debian Mate. I comes bare boned.
    Learn how to use synaptic, kind of like the google play store, and just add programs you want.
    I load virtual box through synaptic. A free program. Then load a copy of windows in that program. Then I run quickbooks there. So click on virtual box and windows starts like open office or any program.
    18 years without anti virus.
    Internet java and flash player give me the most trouble cause I haven't updated in a year or 2.
    With Debian it's my computer, sat up the way I want, and if I don't want to update it's ok.
    Seemed like microsoft always thought it was their system and they were just being nice to take my money and let me use it.