1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Interesting trailer

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by Nige, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Well-Known Member

DMiller likes this.
  2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    The issues the tractor engines had were mostly from shaking themselves to bits, especially the pump drive coupling that kept things timed. The best fix was Loctite and set the engine idle at 1000-1100 rpm. Not sure if it was the harmonics of the machine or the engine. I know the smoothest ones I saw had the Scania replaced with an 8V-92 Detroit. Saw another with a 400 Cummins that wasn't quite as successful.

DMiller, Truck Shop and Ronsii like this.
  3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The weirdest thing I've seen/heard recently is that we have Scania engines in a bunch of Terex RT cranes on site. When they go by you with the loud pedal pressed all the way down they sound for all the world like a Detroit 92 series. Maybe I need to get my hearing checked..!!

4. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Flash back time! Our company had two Superliners with those engines! Actually only wanted one but the first one was going down the highway hauling a lowboy, fortunately empty of or driver, not so good for the pickup truck hauling a trailer headed the other way. Pickup crossed the center line and hit the Superliner just a bit off center.

Our driver was not really hurt but the first on the scene people made sure our driver did not have to see the other driver. The impact broke motor mounts and bent all the crossmembers of the Mack.

That truck was replaced with a brand new 1993 Superliner and the same driver was still driving it when he retired about a year ago.

5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Weird thing about those R series and Superliners, This one below belonged to the previous company I worked for, and it too was involved in a head-on collision/fatality.

002.JPG

DMiller and RZucker like this.
  6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Article I read said 240 tons. I think that's metric tons, so a little over 500,000lbs. Its kinda sad when it rolls off the trailer and you can hear it bounce.

I'm guessing the tilt/ bank of the corner, and the auto suspension got them, kinda like a air suspension dump truck.

dirty4fun, Pixie, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  7. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

DMiller likes this.
  8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I agree. The hollow clang that thing made when it rolled off the trailer didn't give me the impression that it was particularly heavy but then again it's a fair size so maybe it's heavier than it looks.

I would've thought that the reason the tank sits on only two supports, one on each bogie, so that the bogies can be steered round corners. each support has to be dead centre on the front and rear bogies. Check out the video at 1:34

From the video text 430 metric tonnes (950k pounds) is stated as the total train weight.

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  9. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

If it indeed weighs 240 metric tons. I want to see the crane matt setup on that wet ground for the crane or cranes that sets it back on a trailer. That should be another photo op.

dirty4fun, Pixie and DMiller like this.
  10. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I see the other tank in the background.Looks like good planning to send two tanks 1 to test the road one to make it to the site . Built in redundancy.

Pixie, DMiller, hvy 1ton and 2 others like this.
  11. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

Shoulda filled it with helium, afore transport! (whoops, wrong thread!;))

DMiller likes this.
  12. LN Pipeline

LN Pipeline Well-Known Member

How reliable are they with emissions equipment on them? I’m pretty sure I once read an add that claimed they met particulate standards without an exhaust particulate filter.

DMiller likes this.
  13. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I think at least one of modules had a suspension failure. Even after the tank fell off, a big chunk of the trailer is leaned hard toward the inside of the corner. The back of trailer looked level-ish even before the tank went for a roll.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Couple things come to mind.....I bet one end of the trailer was setup for one style of leveling and the other end a different. They can be configured several different ways, basically four corners or three in a triangle shape facing either way. Plus if you run too fast it can’t level quick enough....he was moving along at a pretty quick pace.

Also, my method of calculating the stability triangle says a standard width trailer isn’t sufficient for that load and it’s COG. There could have been route restrictions that made it difficult to run wider but to me if it’s sketchy why even do it. You can configure them to run double wide or 1-1/2 wide. They had plenty of lines for the tonnage.

I want to see their computer simulations. All the platform trailer companies have software for that. It’s like a crane though, it’s only going to help if the inputs are correct!!!

dirty4fun and hvy 1ton like this.
  15. Pixie

Pixie Well-Known Member

killing trees, fixing stuff
    Looks like they had it strapped to the back trailer tight enough but were short a few bungies for the front one. Wonder if they had to bring in a different trailer or if that one survived.

Looks like it was windy out...that can't have helped.