• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Install thumb on excavator (cost?)

Hendrik

Thinking about putting a rigid/mechanical thumb on my little baby SK005 (to make it feel like a big machine:D, well actually it's a safety thing as picking stuff up with a bucket is precarious to say the least, other day I was trying to pick up some left over concrete bits and one slipped off the bucket and nearly squashed my foot, yesterday I was fiddling in the back yard and picked up a branch that turned and nearly bashed me in the head:eek:)
This thumb is the closest in size that I could find http://www.excavatorthumb.com/mt618_mini_excavator_thumb.html I like the way that the thumb is just about straight, whereas others tend to curve them, which in my situation is a negative as I am space challenged, plus that thumb looks well engineered.
Anyone here have any experience with USAattachments?
I have emailed them in regards to shipping costs and how much more it would be to custom build a thumb for my ex, they got back to me pretty quick and reckoned another 50 slides would get me a custom job (wonder if that includes a flame paint job?) That would bring it to 650 Oz bucks plus shipping (which is usually a killer).
Another option is to have one made locally but thumb manufacturers are a bit thin on the ground, while back I got quoted a grand for a little bucket which I got cheaper interstate. Also it would have to be engineered well because I have 72mm width to play with.
I could build it myself but am not really set up for mid level fabrication. I suppose I could make it out of 10mm plate but the big problem would be drilling holes, plus I only have a 240V welder. Might have a chat to some local engineering places to get some idea of how many beans they want for a job like this. Got a little coupling made up a few months ago and that was over a hundred bucks:mad:

Hendrik

I have had some conversations with this mob:
There are a few Qld based attachment manufacturers but bugger all in SA, however it is a fairly straight forward engineering job.
Anyway see how I go, I am toying with the idea of having two thumb attachments, one for Mr. Nasty the 200mm trenching bucket with tiger teeth and one for Mr. Smooth the 600mm final trim bucket. Something like that would more than likely have to be done local.