• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injection pump for cummins. Please help me with ebay issue

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
YUP.. locked timing screw STILL ENGAGED.. what an ma roon..
He obviously doesn't know what he's doing because if he did, he wouldn't have asked the question in the 1st place> does it fit my machine.??
All u have to do is compare the #'s on the name tag..
I feel for ya man.. your probably gonna take it in the shorts.??
EVEN WITH the timing bolt UNLOCKED u can hardly turn it by hand..
I never lock them if the drive shaft is keyed.. JUST FOR THAT REASON..
People don't know how to time them when/BEFORE they remove them, so the key isn't going to be in the correct position anyway..
U wouldn't believe the emails I get.. I simply tell them to rotate the drive until the key WILL LINE UP & line up the timing line marks on the mounting flange..

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Woohoo!

Well, i walked him through it. Timing pin was the issue. I agree, wish he was more knowledgeable.

At least now, i think if he screws it up, i sent all messages through the ebay system. Maybe enough evedince in my favor.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Dam Hansen, I thought we were buddies.??!! Lol
The problem w/ walking him thru it is>> are the pump #'s THE SAME???
They ALL LOOK alike.. but running the same is a different story..

hosspuller

Thanks for the E-bay selling lesson. I bought a A/C compressor on E-bay that specified installation by other than a certified tech voided the warranty. I wonder how E-bay would handle that sort of sale condition.

I see several instances of items sold as "for parts" ... "not working" to head off issues like OP's

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Dam Hansen, I thought we were buddies.??!! Lol
The problem w/ walking him thru it is>> are the pump #'s THE SAME???
They ALL LOOK alike.. but running the same is a different story..
You mean all Cummins pumps aren't interchangeable? A pump off a 4B 3.9 should work just fine on a K19 right?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
hahaha.. THATS EXACTLY WHY I never wanted to learn the Cummins PT pumps.. {over the road drivers}
I've seen it too many times..about 1000..
fella walk in says I need my pump rebuilt.. comes back the next day & picks it up.. 3 hrs later the guy is FUMMIN MAD at the front counter.. throws the pump up there & says its worse than when I brought it..
A couple of questions into the conversation & come to find out, THAT PUMP was his "buddies" & he wanted to use it as HIS "spare".. 2 totally different engines.. 2 totally different specs.. BUT HEY> they looked the same..so THEY MUST BE the same. right?
NO, NOT right.. & I aint dealin with it..
It happened time & time again.. & all it woulda taken was just a quick question & answer session.. whats your CPL.. did this pump come off the original truck? Whats the engine serial #.. Whats it "turnin now"..
& only 1 question EVER had an answer.. "its turnin about 3000 now".. can u make it go faster?? I'm haulin Propane.. lol..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
& THATS WHY I don't have a Pay Pal account.. TO MANY dirtbags out there trying to get something for nothing..
They take your "stuff" then cry to PP & PP takes the money out of YOUR ACCOUNT & gives it back to them.!!
NOW they have YOUR STUFF AND YOUR MONEY..

Dave Neubert

YUP.. locked timing screw STILL ENGAGED.. what an ma roon..
He obviously doesn't know what he's doing because if he did, he wouldn't have asked the question in the 1st place> does it fit my machine.??
All u have to do is compare the #'s on the name tag..
I feel for ya man.. your probably gonna take it in the shorts.??
EVEN WITH the timing bolt UNLOCKED u can hardly turn it by hand..
I never lock them if the drive shaft is keyed.. JUST FOR THAT REASON..
People don't know how to time them when/BEFORE they remove them, so the key isn't going to be in the correct position anyway..
U wouldn't believe the emails I get.. I simply tell them to rotate the drive until the key WILL LINE UP & line up the timing line marks on the mounting flange..
I had a 5.9 Cummins with a VP Bosh the pump went out I changed it out darn thing woud not start. Got Cummins out they could not figure it out turns out it was timed to the wrong letter on the timing gear and the key way was taken out. I don't knowhow many times someone took that pump off and on to set it right without the keyway. I took off the front cover and set the gear to the right letter put pump on and it ran great. You never know what someone else has done before you get to it

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Yup.. NOBODY KNOWS that the keyway sets the timing & is mated to the pump..
WE charged extra for a pump that came in for exchange, that didn't have a key. {not a complete core}

Dave Neubert

Yup.. NOBODY KNOWS that the keyway sets the timing & is mated to the pump..
WE charged extra for a pump that came in for exchange, that didn't have a key. {not a complete core}
Yep had to get the offset key from Cummins then don't put it in backwards if I remember it has a dot on it that is supposed to face out

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Nothing directly to the pump but on the old NH/NT engines where the air compressor crank went all the way though to the pulley on the front of the engine.

On those you could get into all kinds of problems trying to set valves and injectors. See once in a while someone would install a new or used compressor and not pay attention to the timing marks.

No problem as the timing of the gear had nothing to due with how engine ran. But when you tried using the marks on the accessory pulley to position the cam at the right place to set valves and injectors you were out of luck!

At least Cummins was nice enough to put a pipe plug in the front cover so you could see the timing marks without pulling the front cover, if you knew where to look!

Also Cummins did sell reman compressors without the crankshaft so as long as your crank was good you just had to work the rod around over the end of the crank and not mess with the timing marks.