• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injection pump for cummins. Please help me with ebay issue

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
This community has been very helpful to me in the past. Hopefully there are some that can offer me some advice. I will try to be as brief as possible, but there are lots of details.

Through my employer, I came to posess an injection pump. This was from our store room and was a rebuilt spare with tags from the rebuilder and plastic plugs. Checking the number on the tag showed that it was for a Cummins 4B 3.9. This jived with the equipment owned by the company.

The pump did not fit my particular 4B 3.9, so I put it for sale on ebay. I stated no warranty, and no return. Due to that, I priced it well below the same model pump sold by rebuilders that included warranty. Before the buyer who ultimately bought it, he had asked me some questions but was not sure it would fit his engine. He said it was for a 1845c, which I now understand is a Case skid steer.
Last message before purchase.
okay thanks i have a1845c know will tell if it will work on it

Now, a month or so later(purchased Dec 8th), he has initiated a return through ebay. Stating that the engine won't run because the pump is "lock up".
hello I just try to put the pump on and it is lock up?it will not trun

I suspect that is false and he just wants his $ back because the application is not correct. My experience with ebay is substantial, but they usually very much side with the buyer.

I am just looking for advice, as i do not want ebay to force me to refund the $.

Thanks

Worry-free shopping.
Get the item you ordered or your money back on virtually all items.

How the eBay Money Back Guarantee works:
  • Step 1: If your item hasn't arrived or isn't as described, go to My eBay. Find the item in your purchase history and select "return" or "item not received" within 30 days of delivery (or estimated delivery date.)
  • Step 2: Contact us if your issue is not resolved within three business days.
  • Step 3: You'll hear from us within 48 hours – we work hard to make things right and get your money back quickly!

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Here is my listing description.

Listed for sale is a rebuilt Delphi injection pump for a 4B3.9 12 volt system. CPL # 0591. This genuine Delphi pump has been fully rebuilt and re-calibrated by Valley Fuel Injection Service in Roanoke, VA. I am not affiliated with the re-builder and do not offer a warranty.

I got this with some other engine parts, but my engine takes an inline Bosh style pump. This pump will not fit my engine, so I am selling it.

I believe the Cummins number is 3908646 and Lucas / Delphi / CAV number is DPA 3042F210. This item is a original Delphi injection pump, not an import.

This 3042F210 pump may fit other applications. Please check that it fits your engine.

Normally, these pumps require a $300 core deposit. My pump is sold without a core required. This saves you $$$

Also included is a new genuine Delphi 7185-900 solenoid and there are the 4 seals for the injector lines, and the key on the shaft.

See the pictures to answer your questions.

BigWrench55

I’ve sold stuff on eBay and one of the things I did was to make inconspicuous marks and took pictures so I would know if it was mine being returned to me. I would make him return it and if everything is good then tell the buyer he can take it back at his own expense or lose it but no refunds. If you get it back and it’s damaged then no refund. The fact is that the buyer should have done his research before pulling the trigger and buying something he can’t use. It shouldn’t cost you anything because he didn’t know what he needed.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Good points.

I have responded with a question or two, but have not received any answers yet. I am considering just offering a partial refund soon so that I get 1st choice, so to speak. Giving a little back is better than all of it.

But like I said, ebay is not really in the seller's corner

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Was the pump in the locked position when you sold it?
If the new owner fitted the pump & tried to run the engine with it locked, well that's hardly your fault....

It's all hard to prove, short of opening up the pump & taking a look.
If you said it has no warranty, well he has agreed to that when the purchase was made.

Jonas302

Your going to end up paying return shipping and full refund might as well do it on a good note and keep your positive feedback
If it is locked up from sitting you wouldn't want to stick the buyer with it If its not your out $20-30 and can relist it

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Based on your listing I think you’ve covered your rear as far as what it will fit or not fit. Hopefully you have enough pics to verify it’s your pump and also that it hasn’t been damaged. I’ve never dealt with a return through eBay. Tough part is if they decide you owe a refund they’ll just take it through PayPal or whatever banking setup you have.

I hope it works in your favor. We can’t fix stupid!

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
He just responded...
Says it will not turn by hand. Has not installed it yet.

I did not check when i had it, as I did not want to effect the timing. I suppose it is remotely possible it is locked up, but I find it hard to believe. I will gave him remove the plugs while trying to turn it. It coumd be hydro locked

BigWrench55

The buyer says that the pump is locked up. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and never seen a injection pump lock up. I’m not saying that it cannot happen just unlikely. If I’m not mistaken isn’t the Delphi pump the one that you remove a screw and spacer. And then install the screw back to lock in the pump to time it.

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Screenshot_20181227-194042.png My experience too. Not sure, the pump I sold was the rotary one. Mine is inline.

It would have to have lots of water contamination for it to lock up, is my thought. Perhaps a timing pin is in it?

Screenshot_20181227-193825.png

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
He said he has put penetrating oil in the line fittins, with no luck.

Perhaps a timing pin like Paul mentioned? Where is that on this pump?

In my quick search, i see that the Case 1845c may be turbo??

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Just remember that with ebay the buyer is faultless and the seller is scum, always, all the time.

If he has not installed it, have him send it back, and relist it once you figure it out.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
if was just rebuilt that lock screw would still be set , I just put a rebuilt pump in my tractor and once I had it set and timed I had to unlock it with that bolt in your picture

partsandservice

The pump shop has it LOCKED IN TIME!!! He should not turn the pump or release the lock until it is installed with engine TDC 1. If he turns the pump prior to installation he is going to try to tell you the pump is bad because it wont run the engine because he has the pump out of time.

Reactions: DB2

partsandservice

Also, after one has installed the pump in time, the lock bolt would be loosened prior to and the tab the bolt goes through would be slid to go under the lock bolt so it can't go all the way down and tightened. If the lock bolt is not reset before turning the engine over the pump will be damaged.