• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersoll Rand/Isuzu Diesel on Runs with Key ON

Parts

Parts... Thanks for coming back to share the solution. It grinds my gears when someone gets suggestions and then ghosts the forum. It's a disservice to future searchers and rude to the forum members that tried to help.
Totally agree with you. I love getting and giving help...I don't love giving help and the mystery of the repair remaining unsolved in my mind :D. What would have really helped in this case was being a better electrical diagram reader. I need to find a book and read read read until I am as good as you guys.

Parts

Trying out the brain trust again on this one before I do any further digging...got the same machine in again (different machine but same engine and wiring diagram). This one will not crank until I unplug the gray wires that go to the fuel shutoff solenoid. Just to do some diagnostics I checked every sensor and 1 side is hot with the key on. I made a jumper wire for each of the engine and air end sensors (except the water temp sensor as I did not have the correct wire ends - and perhaps the issue is with that sensor) and still no start. Not sure if one of the sensors should be able to prevent starting or why unplugging the solenoid would allow the starter to crank. Any input appreciated - will be in the shop on this one tomorrow. Thanks all.

Parts

Really scratching my head here. If I by pass wire the oil pressure, water temp, and 2 air end sensors then what else is left? I don't believe there is a low fuel shutdown on this machine because there isn't anything going to the tank. I definitely have 12V going to both sides of each switch that I bypassed (with key on that is). Like I said above it will crank just fine if you unplug the gray wires at the fuel shutoff. Both relays tested fine. Could that glow plug timer do anything to hurt starting? The oil pressure switch is coated in oil so I am sure it needs replacement but I have it bypassed anyway at the moment.

hosspuller

CHeck grounds. Seems from the diagram, the grey wire supplies power. With power there's no voltage difference, disconnected, power flows backwards.... And the relay closes & cranks.

Parts

CHeck grounds. Seems from the diagram, the grey wire supplies power. With power there's no voltage difference, disconnected, power flows backwards.... And the relay closes & cranks.
Thanks. Gray is power for sure. So can you help me understand a little better. When I unplug gray (and manually hold fuel lever) it will crank and run. So I am guessing gray isn't getting power right? I will check with volt meter tomorrow but if it was getting power the solenoid would move (solenoid is working fine when connected to battery). Now you're saying gray is not getting power because of a bad ground so ill add a clean strap and clean current ones. But what is gray grounding that won't allow any cranking unless I disconnect gray?

hosspuller

Thanks. Gray is power for sure. So can you help me understand a little better. When I unplug gray (and manually hold fuel lever) it will crank and run. So I am guessing gray isn't getting power right? I will check with volt meter tomorrow but if it was getting power the solenoid would move (solenoid is working fine when connected to battery). Now you're saying gray is not getting power because of a bad ground so ill add a clean strap and clean current ones. But what is gray grounding that won't allow any cranking unless I disconnect gray?
No.. I'm saying gray is applying power ... If two wires are both connected to + 12 volts .. the net voltage is zero across a coil. When you take away the grey, then the net voltage is 12 volts through the loads grey is supposed to energize. And some relay coil energizes.

Parts

Gotcha - makes sense. I'll clean the grounds but maybe add a block to frame/battery ground to ensure everything attached to the block is grounding. Will report back.

equipodezorro

machine was in for repair. Customer complained unit would not stay running without them holding the fuel shut off lever open. Found discharge temp switch bad, and the starter protect relay burned up. replaced both. unit started and ran however alt was not charging replaced alt and battery. two months later machine returns, found the fuel solenoid burned up, and also the same relay cooked again. replaced those, try to start and no go fuel sol will not stay energized long enough to run, i jumped out water temp switch and thermal sensor on sep tank and still no go