• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Info Availability from OEM's

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
As an individual owner/operator shopping for excavators & skid steers, I have become increasingly frustrated with the non-responsiveness of most equipment sales people. I find that most of them really don't know the machines they are trying (?) to sell, & when you ask for real technical information or a detailed quote, in writing/email, I wind up waiting for days...or weeks..., or get told that that kind of information is not available.

What's wrong with this picture...?? Aren't sales people supposed to want to sell equipment?? Why do they look not busy, complain about lack of business, & then not follow-up promptly with what you ask for?? Are they lazy??

As a retired civil engineer & computer systems manager, I've always had a low opinion of most sales people. But, you could usually work around them by finding a better sales person at another vendor who handled the same product. Likewise with buying a car or truck. But equipment dealers typically cover a huge area, so that finding another dealer for the same brand that is reasonable convenient is usually not possible. So, you're stuck with a non-responsive dealer/sales person & have to rely on the OEM for information.

But I find that the OEMs are not much better. Most have flashy websites that are full of random pictures & sales BS, what I would call "fluff" or "empty calories". They are short on useful sales info (like specifications, machine pricing, detailed option descriptions & pricing) & on technical info (like operating manuals, shop manuals, parts illustrations, service bulletins).

In my opinion, the OEM's are NOT customer or owner friendly. Yes, they are the in the business of making & selling equipment, but they should NOT be in the business of selling information about that equipment. If they made information about their equipment more readily available, I think it would encourage sales. And in this day & age all this information could - & should - be available on-line - & for free.

I have checked the web sites of the principle OEMs for availability of typical sales & technical info. I offer my findings in the attached chart.

View attachment Info Availability from OEMs.pdf

I would welcome any comments or changes. And referring to the chart, I would offer some observations:
• The ONLY OEM that offers operator's manuals on-line & for free is GEHL. What an enlightened approach!! But oddly, their on-line availability of specifications is limited.
• New Holland & John Deere show a lot of green (relatively customer friendly). Deere goes further by selling operator & shop manuals on-line, but NH's parts illustrations & ordering are easier to use, I think.
• Case should be virtually the same as NH, given their CNH link, but many of Case's on-line tools don't work.
• Bobcat is making progress in the right direction, but some of their on-line parts tools don't work.
• JCB's on-line availability of information is dismal...their specifications download doesn't work. Oddly, their overseas websites are better.
• Cat probably has more info available than most, BUT it's only available thru their subscription SIS program. I would welcome some enlightenment on the SIS program (who qualifies, what it costs, & what info is available).

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I have dealt with multiple salespeople over the years from numerous heavy equipment OEMS. Salesman are like any other employee, 10% really really rise to the occasion. The first salesman became a regional manager for the dealer, the second guy was his PSSR and took his place.

In the 90's you couldn't come close to competing with the information cat provided from there parts and service books to there performance handbooks and sis. Everyday deere provides easier access to their information, free parts look up online, the ability to buy and print service manuals right off the Internet.

I am currently trying to "crack the code" for pegson crushers. My local parts guy is nice but nearly worthless, and when I call an out of state parts department , even out of country, they will give me part numbers but tell me to call my local guy.
Part of the issue here is the information you talk about doesn't even exist. From what I have been told from a pegson field mechanic that I have known for nearly 20 years the service manuals do not have "flow charts", wiring diagrams ", "systems operation" information! That is it for now......TIO

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I'am glad that I'am not the only one that feels this way about salesmen these days. It seems like when i was a kid they salesmen came buy every other week at least once a month now they don't even come buy when you call them then it's are you ready to buy today OH they just bought one thats what you need why do you want specs on that I will see if I trip across it in an email then i will send it to you I gave you a quote on that machine 9 months ago why didn't you buy that machine from me last week you never called me back to sign the order

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
For the most part I find sales reps of all heavy equipment dealers to be whiny little girls that want to get everything done for them, complain about how over worked they are, grand stand every sale like it could have never happened without them, and whine some more about the money they make.

Years ago sales reps mostly came from some type of engineering background or were former end users that had at least a basic understanding of the job a machine was supposed to do. When I started this journey there were no reps under 35 years of age. Today the usual background is in finance, psychology or communications and many if not most are in their twenties. The ones with potential will tell that up front and ask for information from their customers. The poor ones will blow smoke and generally not last very long. If the rep that calls on you doesn't provide what you are asking for, call his boss and make sure the rep's short comings are known.

Technical information for all manufacturers is considered need to know for all outside their sphere of influence. Information is not given away if there is the chance it can generate income. The rate of change today is at the speed of lightning. Today's design and manufacturing depend on catalog engineering where components are sourced through many different companies with varying capabilities of writing those manuals for their own products and no idea of how those products are integrated into some other machine or vehicle. Think about the air bag controversy happening right now for cars. Consider all the safety systems being integrated into man lifts and cranes. Now try to write a comprehensive service manual for a model that will only be in production for a few years. Web sites and published materials are written by marketing personnel and not engineering staff. The fact that all you get from them is blue sky should be no surprise.

StumpyWally

Occupation
For the most part I find sales reps of all heavy equipment dealers to be whiny little girls that want to get everything done for them, complain about how over worked they are, grand stand every sale like it could have never happened without them, and whine some more about the money they make.

For most sales people, I agree...

Also, you raise the point that most technical info today is written by marketing personnel & not engineering staff & is not all that great. I agree...but that is all the more reason why the OEM's should NOT be charging for it & should make it much more available. If it is not worth that much, why charge for it, or why charge SO much for it in some cases??

And please note that I do NOT equate availability of info with quality of equipment. Nothing can substitute for equipment quality, but ease of getting info can make already good equipment great!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Years ago sales reps mostly came from some type of engineering background or were former end users that had at least a basic understanding of the job a machine was supposed to do. When I started this journey there were no reps under 35 years of age.

Same for parts counter people. We had a local Cat dealer where one of the guys on the parts counter worked as a "tech area" mechanic for several years then wanted to transfer to the parts counter. He was an excellent source of info. I could call him and ask, "Can I remove the governor shaft from such and such engine without removing the pump?" He could walk me through all the steps pointing out how to be sure weights did not come out of place. While we still have some good guys and one gal on that parts counter I do miss the knowledge he had.

On another point has anyone looked at the wiring diagram for an early 1970's Cat loader, say 966C and then looked at one for a 2012 980K? Just the wiring for wipers or heater of the 980K is more complicated than the complete machine of the 966C!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
StumpyWally,
Many things would, could and should be made easier, cheaper and quicker to find. Unfortunately we can only deal with the hand that it dealt to us. If you can change the system from your end, I'll buy you a drink and we will both feel better about the world.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Shimmy1

I have found that most salesmen will change their tune after you make a call to the store manager or even call a different dealer and raise some cane. They get a little pissed right away, question you about why you went around them and so on and so forth, but get past that and they tend to pay a little better attention to you. Just what I have found to work. Ruffle things up too hard though and it can work against you.

StumpyWally

Occupation
Attached is an updated chart, to reflect the following:
1. I just discovered (or it just became available) that Case now offers a way to purchase operator manuals & shop manuals on-line.
2. Case's online parts pricing & parts ordering now works, because their select-a-dealer now works.

View attachment Info Availability from OEMs.pdf

Now, is somebody going to educate me on how Cat SIS works (e.g., do you have to own Cat equipment to use it, what it costs, & what info is available)??

StumpyWally

Occupation
Member BSAA65LB just made me aware that Gradall has the following info available (among other things) on their website (& I have just verifed that):
1. Posted list prices for their machines.
2. Free pdf viewing or download of machine specs.
3. FREE pdf viewing or download of operator's manuals, shop manuals, & parts manuals. These can be looked up by model, or more specifically by machine serial #.

This is an enlightened approach to customer service, & they should be complimented!!

I didn't include Gradall in my original availability chart because I don't think of them when I focus on excavators & skid steers.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Now, is somebody going to educate me on how Cat SIS works (e.g., do you have to own Cat equipment to use it, what it costs, & what info is available)??

I have a Cat account at the local dealer that I can access the parts diagrams, check availability and order parts. It's free as I have a parts account. The prices for parts are also shown.

My PSR set my account up.

Kater

Occupation
Retired (computer teacher and marketing/advertisin
I contacted via facebook Sievers Equipment, hoping that the HEF person who talked about selling JCB's will step up to the plate and give me a quote on a JCB 260 and an itemization. I specifically asked for the person on this forum if possible, and have not had a call last night or today yet. I never received the requested service or intro manuals, either to study before purchase. I also messaged

Last edited: