• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Impact's "Things Done at Work"

td25c

TD i looked at the thread you linked and the mount you welded on for the turnbuckle on that woods mower, I had the turnbuckle break on my 2715 yesterday right were it threaded in. I guess that was a few months ago for you, but i thought it was odd. You have some of the coolest old trucks btw.

Yeah hvy 1ton , for some reason on these newer bush hog's the manufacturer seems to do a pretty good job on the gear box & main frame and totally miss it on the landing gear .

Had a service call on a 20' wide land pride mower , gear box's looked " big & bulletproof " . Landing gear no so much , lift cylinder weld mount ( if you want to call it a weld mount ) tore loose . We patched it back up & added some re enforcement .

I reckon it gives the old trucks & operator something else to do , I enjoy it .:)

Impact

Occupation
Owner
This new cane is too smart. Was on half outriggers to lift the outrugger pads. Actually was about 35%. Told the LMI I am at full outrigger. The trailer was right beside me. The screnn called me a lieing pice of $&;: and shut the crane down. So I had to stop, and go to pinned half outriggers to operate. Grumbling here.

td25c

That's a pretty good feature that it knows what you entered in was incorrect with what is actually planted . Did it shut the engine off or just lock up controls ?

Our county road department just got a new wheeled Gradall with new operator ( Old one retired ) . It has some of those features as well .

New operator got it stuck & leaning enough it would not allow operator to use the bucket & stick to push himself out . End result was the Old Man had to go yank them out with the Jimmy & 750 .

Old Man is also retired so he needs something else to do , plus it keeps him off my jobs & other equipment . He has a little wild streak in him yet .:D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This new cane is too smart. Was on half outriggers to lift the outrugger pads. Actually was about 35%. Told the LMI I am at full outrigger. The trailer was right beside me. The screnn called me a lieing pice of $&;: and shut the crane down. So I had to stop, and go to pinned half outriggers to operate. Grumbling here.

I can't help it...when the screen calls you a "lying piece of $&;:", I can't help it, rolling on the floor laughing, and that would include if the screen called me a lying piece of $&;: :lmao

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Sorry for rambling. We did a rental job last Saturday. Lifting a 40,000# culvert at 80' radius. They had cut the street in half to lay the culvert pipe in. Job took 102,000# of counterweights. We hauled them in on a tri axle and a tandem. Backed the crane up to the ditch and backed the first c/w trailer up to the front bumper of the crane. The first c/w lift was 26,000#. The three pieces are bolted together. It is possible to break them into three lifts but not practical. With zero c/w hanging we all but maxed out to lift the 26,000# onto the deck but, we could. The next c/w bundle was on the front of the trailer and was 35,000# at a 60' radius. We were only good for 25,000# with 26,000# hanging. So, we lift the two thing slabs off (10,000#) and set on the back of the trailer. Set the 26,000# slabs on the deck and we could then stack the two thin weights on the 26,000# giving us 36,000# of c/w. We could then lift the remaining 25,000# on the front of the trailer. Grabbed them and set them on the back of the trailer. Set the 36,000# on the deck and grab the two thing slabs and set them on the 25,000# which is on the back of the trailer, then stacked them on the 25,000# setting on the deck. Moved the tri axle out and backed the tandem trailer in with the two 21,000# cheek weights. Had to lift the 60,000# before I could reach the 21,000 cheek weight on the front of the trailer. Set that one on the back of the trailer, set the 60,000# on the deck and finished stacking the two wing weights. Sheesh...dizzy yet? After 2 hours setting the crane up, we set the culvert in 10 minutes. Then break everything back down. I hope the next job allows us to back the trailers beside the crane.

Knepptune

Hey I find your rambling interesting.

Brings up another question. How many trailors do you own. Do you have enough trailors that you don't have to load and unload weights at the yard. We only own one semi trailor and we use it to haul equipment a fair amount. It sucks to come back to shop after a long day and have to set the crane up to unload weights because the semi has someplace to be the next morning.

I guess I have two questions. Does that crane have a scale of some sort to recognize how much counter weight you have on. Or is that up to the op to be honest with crane.

Last edited:

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Good questions, and I'm still trying to answer that for myself.

Trailers:
I have one trailer set up for the 100 ton crane. It carries 30-35,000# of C/W. so we TRY and leave that trailer set up for the 100T crane. But, it's an old extending trailer. Pushed up tight, it's only 35' long or so. Stretched out, it's 60' So, we find ourselves using it at times to haul funky loads. Plus the fact the 100 goes on a job and stys for long periods of time.

We have two 48' flat beds that we use for everything. If we ever need the wing weights for the 165 or the new 190 T, we'll simply grab one of those. I'd guess 85% of the time, we don't need the wing weights.

We have a 48' drop deck tri axle that we used with the 165T. We stripped the c/w off of it, and are using it for the new 190 ton now. I'm not sure at this point if I end up selling a crane later this fall, or keep them both. In the meantime, I intend to use the one tri axle for both the 190 and 165 Ton cranes. but, if we end up keeping both, I can see we'll need a new tri axle.

We also have a 35 ton detach. I also need a dedicated drop deck for general hauling. I just bought two 20' enclosed trailers for job site tools. But, what I need more than anything, is MORE land! LOL

As far as I can tell so far, this crane does not have a scale to know if you're lying to it, or programed it wrong. but, it's my understanding the newest cranes do. Another interesting thing the new ones have is called Vari-Base. If I understand it correctly, you can vary each outrigger differently, and the LMI compensates for it as you swing or increase or decrease radius.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
And what I really need, is another RT crane that stays on the yard to load the wing weights. Hard to lift a 21,000# weight with a 6,000# lift truck

Knepptune

Ye but if you get a yard crane I'll bet you'll have a job a week later for that crane. Lol

Unless you buy a crane that's rough enough you can't stand for anyone else to see it. That was our strategy on a yard forklift. So now we have a pos lull that we use around the shop that's way to rough for any rental job.

crane operator

If you only had a old tms 300, wait-you used to have one, didn't you. See- you should never get rid of cranes, you might need it someday. That's what I keep telling my wife, when I have four cranes at the shop and only one out working-like today.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
image.jpg

Brought this log over my house to the front yard. 20,000 pounds the best I remember. Everyone thought I'm crazy. I am but not because of this lift.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
image.jpg

The new Liebherr LTM 1160 just after driving it home from Houston. houston is a long way at 50 MPH