• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Illinois CDL TEST

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Hello everone, I have decided to go and try to get my cdl(class A). Can anyone tell me what im in for and guide me to some practice tests? Any feedback and advice will help. Thank you!:)

I have the book from the dmv and have been studying that to prepare for the written test.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Ok so I just got back from the dmv and passed the general test but failed the combination vehicles test so I gotta go back tommorow to take that test again along with the air brakes test which I am confident about. Heres a funny story though..... While I was waiting to take my test I was wacthing out the window as an 90 year old man was trying to park his car as a part of a driving test......... Well he dident do so well.... he rammed into the concrete post twice, tearing up his car. I never laughed so hard and then to top it all off they passed the guy!!! I was so pissed. Life aint fair!!!

7AXLES

Occupation
Haul big toys
Good luck in Illinois....I've heard they are really tough on the pre-trip.

Turbo21835

I just did my Michigan class A, airbrake, doubles, tank, and hazmat tests today. Really not that hard, i read through the book twice, went and passed the test no problems. From what i hear, pre trip is going to be the hardest part of any cdl test. I should have a leg up on that. IUOE 324 provides two trucks at our training facility. They are also a state of Mi cdl testing facility. Im calling them tomorrow to see if i can set up a day or two with out instructor. Mostly so I can go through pre trip with him. Ill spend the rest of the time driving the truck around the grounds, and pacticing manuvering.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Ok so I just got back from the dmv and passed the general test but failed the combination vehicles test so I gotta go back tommorow to take that test again along with the air brakes test which I am confident about. Heres a funny story though..... While I was waiting to take my test I was wacthing out the window as an 90 year old man was trying to park his car as a part of a driving test......... Well he dident do so well.... he rammed into the concrete post twice, tearing up his car. I never laughed so hard and then to top it all off they passed the guy!!! I was so pissed. Life aint fair!!!

Easy now !!!!!!!! you don't have to be old to run into stuff you know:D. Some day your be old too if your lucky enough to make it there.Yeah ! Your right life isn't always fair :cool2

Theres a lot of things to remember when it comes to the pretrip part.Ask if you can use a memory card for the pretrip.Keep studying.Good luck !!!!!!:usa

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Man you got it made not having to go through the combinition vehicles test!
And for anyone else out there I found this one too

www.roadwars.com

texascadillac42

Im "cheating" and taking the test twice. I really just need a Class A to drive my 1 ton pickup with a gooseneck, but since it has no airbrakes I would be rather limited with that CDL. I dont have any real time behind the wheel of a tractor trailer so my plan is to take the test twice. Once with a straight truck with air brakes, and then with my truck and trailer, giving me a Class A with air brakes. More money, but easier for me. Thanks for the other link...

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
It's been about 17yrs since I got my CDL in PA, but yes if nothing else Ace the Pre-trip. They were pretty particular on it then because it was the transition period from getting grandfathered in and the test as we now know it.
Anyone who has gotten a CDL recently that I know of said they were tough on the pre-trip. When I moved from PA to IL a CDL was non transferable and I had to take the written portion all over again. Not to mention the guy at the counter screwed mine up and I lost my Hazardous and Tank endorsements. (Didn't really need them anymore away) It sucked taking the written test again but was not as bad as if I would have had to do the driving test again.
When I moved to WI they just transfered it, no questions asked, just had to provide a current Med card.

Good luck to all!!

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Does anyone know if in Illinois you can use a note card for the pre-trip?

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
i lucked out...when i got my A it was the instructors first time ever giving a big truck test...he normally did the car testing but just passed his tests so he was the truck guy now...easy as pie for me:D

dirt digger

Occupation
Does anyone know if in Illinois you can use a note card for the pre-trip?

you don't need a note card...just start in the cab, make sure oil comes up, horns, triangles, and fuses...then step out, make sure you take the keys and show the instructor the door properly latches...then start walking around, stick you head in the wheel wells, check for broken parts...and don't forget about the airbrake test

i was really nervous for my test as well...i took mine about 3 months ago...once you get there they know you're nervous and they will tell you to relax...then just do what seems to make sense...you can take as much time as you need

dirt digger

Occupation
well put it this way...here in PA i never once read a single thing about time limits...i was told by a guy they want you to keep the pre-trip to 30 minutes or less but i never verified it....i think all in all my pretrip took 10 minutes, 1 try at parallel parking, 1 try doing the pull up/back up exercise...so from the time i started to the time the actual road test began was around 35 minutes, and most of that was the guy reading off the sheet to me telling me what to do...overall my test took 1 hour including road driving

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
What exactly is a med card/certificate? Is it just a record of a recent physical or is it an actual standardized form or card?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It's a standardized card issued by the ICC that must be signed by your Doctor. It certifies that you've successfully completed a medical physical that meets or exceeds their specifications. Not all Doctors are familiar with the requirements, so you must find one that knows what is required.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
The most important thing anyone will tell you including the grader is to relax. i don't know about time limits but they may be out there. Like Mr. Frazier said in a nut shell be organized and make your pre trip routine. develop a system from your routine and you'll have it down pat in no time. When i tool my test i started with the exterior and moved into the interior then while in the cab did the air leak down test. If at any time you remember something you have forgotten tell the tester and ask him if you need to show that part to him. if he needs to see the part (some states actually require you to check everything as you do the thing some don't) if he does return to that area after you have finished everywhere else. Hope this helps it's been a few years since i took mine and may be forgetting some of the strategies i used. stay relaxed they aren't there to give you a ticket or give a cavity search! :D :eek: