• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 2400 backhoe/loader

danielm

Anyone familiar with this machine? It has a U1111 backhoe and a U9111 loader. I believe it may be the equal to the ag IH 454. It has a D179 three cylinder diesel.

Seller says it hasn't run in a yr or two. I've yet to see it run. My plan is to use it around the farm. Price is $3K which is high for scrap iron so I'm holding out 'til I can find out more about it.

I'm finding very little info about the 2400. Weight, knowned problems?

My first 'official' post here. Glad I was directed to the HEF. Looks like a few knowlegdable folks here.

danielm

It runs with a few small leaks at one of the loader hoses. Everything stayed up so it seems fairly tight.

The boom does not swing however, it will move if pushed manually as long as the swing lever is pulled. Odd to me because the swing lever valve (spool) looks to be supplied with the same pressure as the arm, bucket, outriggers...
One big hydraulic valve sandwich.
So, how could this be???

I hope I can move it.

OneWelder

Most of the smaller Internationals of this era used a Diverter valve - You could swing or you could steer!
look around the hoe part of the cab - as I remember most were a black push- pull button similar to an air brake release button, but I am sure they had other styles

danielm

Most of the smaller Internationals of this era used a Diverter valve - You could swing or you could steer!
look around the hoe part of the cab - as I remember most were a black push- pull button similar to an air brake release button, but I am sure they had other styles

It steers OK so this could be.

However, all the hoe levers are sandwiched and supplied by the same pump.

Although, I don't see any place to put steering, brake fluid in. Must all run off the same system.

I'm hoping it's not more than 8K lbs. I only have four tires under the trailer.

The AG equal (IH454) weighs 3600lbs. Add to that the loader and backhoe plus front end weights.

I need to haul it about 45 miles to get to the farm.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
This machine might be similar to what you have and it had the diverter valve as OneWelder said. I think it was under the seat. I saved a picture of it. Phil:)

Attachments

• International 3414 backhoe.JPG
    International 3414 backhoe.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 6,586

OneWelder

to be a Little more specific ; it probably has two hydraulic pumps( could have three but doubt it) One for implements, and one for steering . they used a diverter valve on the steering pump circuit so they could use a smaller implement pump
some models had flywheel driven hydraulic pumps, some one crankshaft driven in the front ( implement) another driven by ft. eng. gear train (power steering pump)
It should have common hydraulic tank located in front of the windshield, next to the fuel tank. Hydraulic tank has the larger cap, probably has filter under cap.

danielm

Very similar to the pic Phil posted.
I found one pump hanging off the side of the trans housing just about under or, to the rear of the drivers right foot.

The entire backhoe hydraulics appear to be controlled with valves that are sandwiched (stacked) together with a common supply.

A diverter valve would make sense given the problem here. I would think the seller, who has used it for yrs, would be aware of it.

Here's a pic. Only a mother would be proud.

Attachments

• IH2400.jpg
    IH2400.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 5,796
Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums danielm! :drinkup

danielm

Thanks!

Retrieval of the IH2400 was delayed this weekend. I'm fighting two intermittant trailer brake problems.
Fed up so I rewired the trailer. Now I found two broken solder joints in the controller.
Maybe Tuesday...

Return hydraulic filter?

Owner of a 2400 back hoe (IH 454?) for 8 years. Hearty machine.
Is there a return hydraulic filter on these machines ?
Not sure what the device is locataed in a large canister under the driver's right foot.
Machine running like a top, leary to touch anything that I don't know.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums roache@wildblue! :drinkup

danielm

Owner of a 2400 back hoe (IH 454?) for 8 years. Hearty machine.
Is there a return hydraulic filter on these machines ?
Not sure what the device is locataed in a large canister under the driver's right foot.
Machine running like a top, leary to touch anything that I don't know.

I noticed that can under there near the pump. It looked to me like it might house a filter element.
I'll post details when I get this one to the farm and go thru it.

Do you have any idea what it weighs?

Very small trailer

My 2400 backhoe was delivered privately 35 miles on a small 4 wheel trailer.
He too was concerned as it was a rather small trailer, but no problems.
With 4 nose weights, would guess the weight about 6200 pounds or so.

danielm

My 2400 backhoe was delivered privately 35 miles on a small 4 wheel trailer.
He too was concerned as it was a rather small trailer, but no problems.
With 4 nose weights, would guess the weight about 6200 pounds or so.

Excellent!

My trailer is very heavy with four 16" load range "E" tires. About 8K of load is my safe limit for the tires. Although, I drove over the scales once at 19,860 total. :eek:

Do you see a diverter valve on your 2400 backhoe mentioned in the previous post?

Easy rider

Easy for me to say, however, trailering should be just fine.
Looking at the photo, great rubber on back, many years of service ahead.
Compared to my 2400, yours is a real "looker".
You got a good price, in these parts, a running machine with the usual leaks, sticky hydraulics and broken hour meter,( almost always broken at 1500 hours ) fetch $7,000.
You have a lot of wiggle room to work on her.
Great machine, IH geared down around this time when Tenneco took over.
Popular utility model, short production run however.
She is under 2 inches of snow, and ice over that. Will check for a diverter valve.
Two hoses weather fatigued in 8 years, haven't had occasion to examined the hydraulics.

danielm

I be diggin

Thanks to John (roache@wildblue) who PM'd me with words of encouragement the IH 200 is working smooth now.
I'll add this for anyone searching for info on a IH2400. Although, it seems to be somewhat rare.

This machine has two hydraulic pumps each with its own filter pulling from a common tank that hold about 15 gallons of fluid.
The left side pump uses a WIX part # 51668 and supplys pressure to the boom swing and power steering.
Right side pump has a larger filter located in a return line canister just under the drivers foot. The right pump runs the loader and remaining hydraulics.
My problem was found to be a clogged left side filter. This was due to the incorrect filter being installed in the rt side canister. It was too small and was bypassing fluid. Left filter had to do all the filtering.
The left also has a very fine mesh screen on the inlet side of the filter. I found this to be plugged also.

All new fluids and filters and she is working perfect after sitting for what appears to be about three years. I expect to get alot done with her at the ranch.

I'm diggin it...:D

Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
I found this picture I took of an International hoe I'm trying to buy. Not sure of the model or how similar it is to the 2400.The steering doesn't work well at all says the owner, and he found water in one of the rear compartments. Maybe the gearshift boot is letting it in. Maybe it's a newer machine, maybe the same one. Anyway I wanted to post it to see if anyone has more info about the steering system. Like a page out of a service manual?:p Reading the previous post is interesting, and I'll save it, in case we make a deal:drinkup . Phil

Attachments

• International backhoe.JPG
    International backhoe.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 5,352
Last edited:

danielm

Phil, Thats the same machine except my 2400 has ROPS.
Water in the hdy must be a common problem for these. There's a couple of places on top of the case that I could see where it might get in if exposed to a hard rain. If not operated often enough to heat the oil up and dry it out it might accumulate.
The power steering and hoe boom swing both are supplied by the left side pump. You'll find a filter can with the WIX filter, mentioned earlier, in this can with a screen on the inlet to the filter. Both were plugged with sludge in my case.
One thing to check on these old machines is the boom swing mechanism. It is a rack and pinion type device where the rack is the hyd pistons (one on each end) and the pinion is the boom pivot axis. These parts are no longer available.
If it doesn't swing you can test the mech by manually pushing the boom left to right. It should only move when the boom valve lever is pulled/pushed as it will be in a hydraulic lock with the valve centered.
Also, I believe the IH2400 and the AG IH454 share a lot of common parts.

Phil

Occupation
Thanks for the reply, I'll bet that's what is wrong with this one. I've seen this same hoe attachment on other internationals of different models. It's a good working unit, and I can still get on one and remember how those hoe levers work.:eek: Is there a torque converter in your machine? I was curious about the oil compartments from the flywheel back and what they take. Are there 2 sections, one taking #90 gear oil, the other hyd/clutch type oil? Is the hydraulic tank up by the fuel tank, on top, or supplied by the torque/shuttle compartment?Phil:)

Last edited:

danielm

Three drains on the bottom all drain the same hyd fluid. One filler pipe located between the seats. Takes about 15 gallons of hytrans.

Clutch, no torque converter on this one.