• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

If you had to choose one machine for a landscaping business, what would it be?

CRS95

Hi there, thought I would join this forum just to get some opinions and ideas from people with some experience.

I will be leaving school soon, and I'm looking to potentially start a landscaping business in the next couple of years. I used to work doing some basic soft landscaping, as well as digging graves, but I'm looking to focus more on hard landscaping, one idea I had was to offer a garden makeover service. This would mean I would have to undertake tasks possibly including levelling, trenching, digging ponds/water features/pools etc, turfing, paving and building patios/decking.

I have worked with micro excavators in the past, but nothing too big, only a small Kubota. However, i know a couple of different guys who i can hopefully work with over the next couple of years who have some bigger machines.

If I was to start up my own business what machine do you think I should look at getting though? Originally I assumed a mini digger would be best (around 1.5 tonnes, something with a bit more power than the Kubota but able to be towed with relative ease) but now I'm starting to think that a mini skid steer loader might be a better option, as the massive range of attachments could cover a huge amount of different jobs. I could potentially buy a used skid steer (Bobcats seem to be the cheapest option where I am) for not much more than a used mini digger, and get a dozer for levelling, landscaping buckets and possibly even a backhoe. I've also looked a compact track loaders and wheel loaders, but they look like they might be too expensive for a start-up business. Also would it be worth getting a dumper?

What would be the most valuable machine for landscaping? Or combination of machines (i.e mini digger and a dumper). Bear in mind that it has to be a fairly cost effective option, and that if this does happen I would have the potential to expand in future. Of course, I think the best option is probably to get one machine pretty early on, then hire if I need something different for certain jobs.

Thanks any advice or ideas appreciated

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
most landscape guys i know around here started with a zero turn mower and basic lawn tools and rented a skid or mini ex as needed until they could go out an purchase one. then again here in Miami grass grows fast all year round

CRS95

Yeah I had kinda guessed I might need to hire for the first few years, but I was sort of looking for what I should be aiming for. I'll probably get a decent mower for the start, but there isn't a great deal of money in lawns where I am. In the autumn and winter the grass doesn't grow too much because it gets cold and frosty normally.

Canadian_digger

If you can only get one machine what about a Kubota b21 or b26. They can dig trench spread and move ground everything you asked to do. Then if things work out and want to buy more then you could do the mini ex and skid steer combo.

CRS95

I suppose a Kubota with a backhoe could work well, any idea how much they go for? How much would one weigh? I'm looking to probably tow with a Land Rover Defender to start with.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I was sub ed out by many landscape contractors with my bobcat. I started with a 743 and a backhoe attachment. How about the target area you will be focusing on. I'm sure if you are starting out you will take what ever comes your way, but if larger yards are common then a compact machine may not be what you will need. Also don't forget instead of subbing out the work you most likely will be able to rent what you will need best for that job. An added plus to that, is you will be able to use different machines and find out what works best for your situation. Good Luck!!!!

Canadian_digger

I suppose a Kubota with a backhoe could work well, any idea how much they go for? How much would one weigh? I'm looking to probably tow with a Land Rover Defender to start with.

They weigh around 1800kg or 4000lbs
Not sure how much they would go for in the uk

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I was in your spot when I started my business. On start up I rented machines, most times it was a Terra-Mite backhoe/loader. When I got enough business where the rental fees were exceeding a machine payment I made the move and bought a skid steer. It's probably the wisest purchase I've ever made. Make sure you consider one that will lift a full pallet of bricks, here that amounts to about 3200 pounds. My machine is only rated for 2000 lbs but I can unload pallets from a full size flatbed and move them where I want them. There have been times where I wished I had a compact track loader for less damage to turf and the ability to move in slick conditions, but as you mentioned cost is a consideration. On top of the initial purchase, the track and suspension maintenance costs are much higher as well.

I purchased a number of attachments, pallet forks, 4 way bucket, Harley Rake, grapple rake, jib boom and snowblower that make the machine very versatile.

A compact tractor with loader is a consideration too but you'll lose the capability to move full pallets of bricks, even with my friend's Ford 545 skiploader I was barely able to move them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Get your business started first, landing the projects you want to do. Rent machines as needed to complete those jobs and figure out what will work the best for what you need. You may find out a machine you think you need now is either too large or too small, or not the right machine at all.

Also keep your overhead low and your cash reserve plentiful.

grandpa

Cm 1995, can you expound further on your concept on keeping your "cash reserve's plentiful" . I seem to really suck in this department.

CRS95

I think most of you guys are spot on with the hiring thing to be honest. In fact, the guys I used to work with a pretty old now, and aren't exactly busy most of the time, I'm good friends with them so I'm sure they wouldn't mind me using the small Kubota digger for a small fee. I also know another bloke who's an agricultural contractor, he has a big JCB backhoe loader and a JCB mini excavator too.

I think long term my goal would be to get a decent skid steer loader, or compact track loader, with an array of attachments as well as my own mini digger.

I doubt I will buy any machines to start with, like people have said I don't really know what size areas I will be working with yet. I'll probably just use the Kubota if possible, and maybe hire something bigger when needed to start.

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Have you considered a small stand on machine like the Vermeer s600/800? Light weight can fit in very tight places (I have seen one in a building lift before) and heaps of attachments. Due to the light weight you can put it on a trailer and still have room for your attachments.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Start with a rake and shovel and build your business from there. Make each tool pay for the next. First you will need a truck to work out of. I would suggest a 1 ton dump truck. Works much better then a pickup or flatbed as you will need to haul materials to and from 90% of your jobs. A dump trailer would also work as you can also use it to deliver the equipment you rent. From there only buy what you need. Remember an excavator will not work in the snow as well as a skid steer. Both would be the best as they work very well together.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Cm 1995, can you expound further on your concept on keeping your "cash reserve's plentiful" . I seem to really suck in this department.

Sounds like a personal problem and I am not a shrink.:tong

CRS95

Yeah all good ideas,

I know that realistically I'm not going to be able to get any heavy duty machines, but I do have some contacts and know people in my area who sell used machines

I totally see the logic around the point of starting out with a rake and simply making sure each tool is paid for before buying the next, but where I live I can't see why anyone would choose me for the contract over anyone else if I only have very basic equipment.

I think that having a machine adds value to the business, as well as greatly expanding the amount of jobs that I could potentially take on. Also, if the business is failing the machine could always be sold as a sort of exit strategy.

I probably won't buy a machine right away, but I think there would be benefit in getting something as soon as possible. What would you people recommend hiring? A compact excavator?

Thanks

AlldayRJ

Your logic is flawed thinking you can compete better if You own it, and sell it if you get in a jam. Whether you own or rent you should be charging the same to either cover the rental or maintenance and replacement of your own machine. If you're using it daily or weekly then i would look at owning

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I totally see the logic around the point of starting out with a rake and simply making sure each tool is paid for before buying the next, but where I live I can't see why anyone would choose me for the contract over anyone else if I only have very basic equipment.
You should be asking yourself why anyone will hire you over someone else if you do own the equipment. This is how you determine your market strategy.

As far as a machine recommendation, you should be the one determining that by the type of work you want to do, not us. I've already given my opinion based on what you've said you're interested in doing. An added benefit to renting equipment is you'll find out what suits you best.

Have you done any research at all on how much business is available in your area?? Where I am landscapers are tripping over each other trying to find work, there's far too many for the amount of work available. That's why I gave it up, the pricing was being beat down to where it wasn't profitable.