• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I love winter

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
-9 at 5:30 this morning. trucks don't start, and everything seems to fall apart. phone rang steady from customers today. supposed to be even colder tomorrow. gotta love winter, its great if you're in the repair business!

02Dmax

we had 4 with a -20 windchill the day after christmas here in northwest missouri, and its been only in the lower 20's for highs ever since. I've put in at least a dozen block heaters and thawed a bunch of brake drums on trucks. Sometimes I wish it was my truck that was froze down so I'd have an excuse to stay home, lol. It's not bad though, I'd be bored at home by 8 o'clock anyhow.

250c

Mike I remember those days, I grew up in Houlton---- now any morning with a frost is a cold one lol.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
29 this morning. Had work lined up so I'd be in the shop most of the day. Got a call before even getting to work- 160 won't start, batteries are shot. Double drum diesel walk behind won't start.

A fresh set of batteries and a propane torch took care of things.
At least they were both on the same job site and the sun was shining.

Dualie

i was super unpleased when it was 42 deg this am. I might not come out the house if it got cold enough to freeze standing water.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It got down to 6 degrees F last night here, coldest night of the season thus far. Currently 11. I have to plug my truck in if I expect to start it.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
and i spent yesterday afternoon clearing mud and semi frozen mud from dozer tracks... all so it doesnt turn into a solid block.

cutting edge

I had a 3/4 impact gun frozen to my bare(dumbass) hand last week....had to carry it to the truck and thaw it out in the cab to get it unfrozen......tell me more about winter.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Yeah its -31c where iam at the moment got workers complaining about working with the tools also driving the machine with no cab on is no fun in the cold and snow moving from the workshop floor to the painting room (500m away)

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
It is +3 degrees F here this morning (Sunday). Wind blew like crazy last night, dead elm tree down across the driveway this morning. Guess it is going to get pushed out of the way with snow plow on truck for today then cut up when it warms up. Going for -12 degrees F tonight. Oh ya, it was +45 degrees F yesterday.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Current forecast for this week:
.monday night...mostly cloudy. Snow showers likely...mainly in
the evening. Additional snow accumulation possible. Cold with
lows around 5 above. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow
70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 13 below after midnight.

.tuesday...partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of snow showers.
Little or no additional snow accumulation. Cold with highs around
10 above. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Wind chill values as low as
15 below.
.tuesday night and wednesday...mostly cloudy. Lows zero to
5 above zero. Highs 15 to 20. Wind chill values as low as
15 below.

I know it doesn't compare to places further north, but that'll be the coldest it's been here for a few years, and I'm not looking forward to it.

mitch504

Supposed to be 45f for a high tomorrow, 21 tomorrow night, and 48 wednesday, I am miserable already, even though it was 64 today and not even supposed to frost tonight.

Yeah, I know I'm a wimp. :eek:

The coldest I've ever seen here was 4f in 1985, and I wound up fighting fire all night.

HATCHEQUIP

Mitch I remember 1985 I was in lagrange georgia on a big treatment plant job Id work all day and then sleep in the job office and go around and rev all the equipment up and then go around and idle it back down every hour or 2 so that they could work the next day best I remember we had it that way for 3 or 4 days and they sure werent used to it down there