• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hyundai problem CUMMINS LOOSING POWER

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I agree with ATCOEQUIP. Check the wastegate valve for operation. It could be a broken line, ruptured diaphram or mechanically stuck.The next thing I would do is lock one track up and put it in relief. Then lock the other side up and put it over relief. You can do that by using the bucket teeth or a block of wood. RPM's should be the same. Typically MFG's have a pump for each track.

rustylhurtt

good news everybody ive fixed the machine it had two problems that resulted one it had tha algae in the diesel that had a line stopped up i flushed it out and it was better but not perfect then i noticed a cut wire on the battery i repaired it my lcd screen lights all came on and its it works great now i am new to this forum but i really appreciate all the helpfull info does anyone know where to get a manual for this machine thanks again

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
good news everybody ive fixed the machine it had two problems that resulted one it had tha algae in the diesel that had a line stopped up i flushed it out and it was better but not perfect then i noticed a cut wire on the battery i repaired it my lcd screen lights all came on and its it works great now i am new to this forum but i really appreciate all the helpfull info does anyone know where to get a manual for this machine thanks again

All right! Glad you got it fixed! :) This one just didn't sound right from the get-go to troubleshoot on a forum, too many things that can cause the problem. Algae in the fuel? Yeah, that can screw things up in a hurry! You need to either drain the fuel or use it up to an empty tank quickly then add some fresh fuel to the tank. Keep draining that tank to get all the dregs and water out of it. The bad wire at the battery? What's up with that? Any excavator should only have "battery cables" connected to the batteries, nothing else. If you have additional wires connected to the battery terminals, there's something not right. :beatsme

Iron Horse

then i noticed a cut wire on the battery i repaired it my lcd screen lights all came on and its it works great now i am new to this forum but i really appreciate all the helpfull info does anyone know where to get a manual for this machine thanks again

Does that mean the two speeds are now working ?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Any excavator should only have "battery cables" connected to the batteries, nothing else. If you have additional wires connected to the battery terminals, there's something not right.

Naw sorry on this one Atco, I dont consider it unusual for there to be additional small wires at the battery. I admit sometimes its a cowboy radio connection :rolleyes: and I would not like to have to explain what any of those additional wires do :eek: but its not unusual in my experience. :drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Naw sorry on this one Atco, I dont consider it unusual for there to be additional small wires at the battery. I admit sometimes its a cowboy radio connection :rolleyes: and I would not like to have to explain what any of those additional wires do :eek: but its not unusual in my experience. :drinkup

Your absolutely right, and I don't disagree. I guess I just meant "for it to be proper, there should only be battery cables connected to the battery.", and I'll admit there could be exceptions, but most excavators operate with a battery disconnect solenoid with all the power supply distributed by that solenoid. If "other wires" are connected to the battery terminals, it could indicate that someone has done a little monkey work on the wiring. I guess I'm just kinda picky about things being as they should be and being nice and tidy. When someone brings me a machine to repair, I make every effort to do it proper so their problem is fixed and they're happy. ;)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Congratulations and thanks for letting us know what you found.

I have seen extra wires coming off the batteries but usually they are in molded terminal ends. What happens is the end gets corroded and when they are replaced with the auto parts store terminals the extra wires are cut and reconnected to the battery bolt. I'm also thinking this is a Hyundai and there are some funny things done with wiring even from the factory.

Thanks again!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm also thinking this is a Hyundai and there are some funny things done with wiring even from the factory.

Sounds like you know them far better than I, John. I haven't had the pleasure of working on a Hyundai. :tong

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
usually they are in molded terminal ends. What happens is the end gets corroded and when they are replaced with the auto parts store terminals the extra wires are cut and reconnected to the battery bolt.

That is a very good point John, and could quite easily be what I have seen. :drinkup

BIGJOE

Sounds Like Fuel

Some machines are more tempormental than others with fuel. I would drain the fuel tank. I know this is a pain but there might be debris clogging the bottom of the tank. I have had machines that suck in debris and clog the line. I use an air line and blow back into the tank. When the motor can't get its required fuel flow when under load, it will bog down. Once you let up on the load, the motor will come right back up to high RPM. You can run a machine wide open sitting in one place with no hydraulic function. Once you move the controls, the machine will bog hard. This is a classic fuel problem.

The main problem I have seen over the years is the fuel supplier. Some are better than others. You will not believe the junk you will find in your fuel if you have auto delivery from a fuel truck. Some machines will eat it up, others are very delicate. I know for a fact the Cummins is a delicate fuel machine from hard experience with multiple motors in the field.

**You also have to watch the low pressure fuel pump which is the same unit you hand pump to prime the machine. This is key to performance. When it gets weak, you will have a hard time priming the machine and keeping it running. Other than these two problem areas, the Cummins is an extremely reliable machine. Although not excatly a fuel "sipper".

Last edited:

rustylhurtt

Some machines are more tempormental than others with fuel. I would drain the fuel tank. I know this is a pain but there might be debris clogging the bottom of the tank. I have had machines that suck in debris and clog the line. I use an air line and blow back into the tank. When the motor can't get its required fuel flow when under load, it will bog down. Once you let up on the load, the motor will come right back up to high RPM. You can run a machine wide open sitting in one place with no hydraulic function. Once you move the controls, the machine will bog hard. This is a classic fuel problem.

The main problem I have seen over the years is the fuel supplier. Some are better than others. You will not believe the junk you will find in your fuel if you have auto delivery from a fuel truck. Some machines will eat it up, others are very delicate. I know for a fact the Cummins is a delicate fuel machine from hard experience with multiple motors in the field.

**You also have to watch the low pressure fuel pump which is the same unit you hand pump to prime the machine. This is key to performance. When it gets weak, you will have a hard time priming the machine and keeping it running. Other than these two problem areas, the Cummins is an extremely reliable machine. Although not excatly a fuel "sipper".

thanks ive got some trash in the fuel tank i think ive got it out its done it to me three times

watchzeitgeist

Kinda hard to say since we're not there to see/hear it. I agree with looking at fuel first. When your tracking up a hill, as you describe, and it pulls down; when the engine is near stall and you quickly let go of the drive levers, does the engine rev up quickly or very slowly? If slowly, I'd say you have a fuel delivery problem. If the engine revs quickly, then you go to drive again just to stall all over again, you could have a hyd pump that's doing an overstroke delivering more hyd oil than is needed by the system.

I have this problem with my caterpillar 215. how do you fix the overstroke problem?

regards
John