• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Testing Equipment Storage

Zewnten

Slowly building up the my hydraulic testing set but I'm trying to figure out what to store it all in. Obviously everything is covered in hydraulic oil, usually leaks a little bit, gauges are bit delicate so can't just shove them in a loose box (or can I?), leads are long and bulky, and of course lots of adapters and fittings. I was thinking of a cantilever tool box.

What system do you guys use: totes, multiple boxes, 5 gal bucket?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Rubbermaid action packers for the bulky stuff. Old school Caterpillar tool boxes; the orange panted sheet metal ones. If I was starting from scratch, I would use Milwaukee Packout and Kaizen foam.

JD955SC

Mobile or shop?

For shop I found small trays for my gauges that keeps the oil contained to the tray and as a bonus they fit in my shallow toolbox drawers (the very shallow kind that are mainly good for screwdrivers, punches, etc)

Hoses I have connectors that loop them with the quick connects and I hang them on a peg on the side of a steel cabinet

fittings I keep in plastic grinder/milling machine tooth boxes or ammo boxes.

Coaldust

Occupation
Good point about ammo boxes. That’s how I store caps & plugs.

Old Doug

Trying to store stuff and make it handy is a never ending problem. Just when you think you have it figured out you out grow it and have to start over agin.

Coaldust

Occupation
We’ve had some good discussion on this topic in the past. I’ve tried all sorts of ever-evolving storage solutions. I’m very impressed by the Milwaukee Packout line. I hope Milwaukee doesn’t lower the quality or move Packout umanufacturing to China.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have put several sets together for companies where I worked. I had access to some old Craftsman steel tool boxes. I got some cheap open cell foam I got for another project and cut it to fit. My original box got a little too small so I got a little bigger box from a relative throwing it away. Here are some photos.
IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1911.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The foam is from the old box so doesn't quite cover the bottom. I don't do much of that work anymore an don't have the foam right now anyway. Here are the gauges sitting on the foam.
IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

The biggest storage issue is what to do with the hoses. Right now they are just sitting on the floor from the last job that I used them for.

I set this all up so that I could just throw everything in the truck when I thought I was going to do a troubleshooting job. Normally all this sits on a shelf in my shop.

Zewnten

Thanks guys. It's in a shop now, if I were mobile I'd honestly have more room than what I do now. It looks like I need to find a tray or tool box to set up.