• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic oils

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Has anyone tried NOCO's Torque TDH hydraulic oil in preferably a late model Deere? Specs look identical in their PDS to HyGard,just want to make sure.Price is $17 cheaper for a 5 gal. can. $51 vs. $68.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
OK--let me re-phrase here then.What other hydraulic/trans. oils has anyone else used here on a LATE model Deere besides HyGard that was reasonably priced and got good results from?I'm app. 300 hours past my 1,000 hr. changeout,so I can't put this off much longer.

pointrow

Occupation
drainage/farming
I changed to Chevron Hyd Fluid from JD HyGard in my older equipment. HyGard got to be way over priced and I could buy Chevron for about $350 a barrel less. Both have the same specs although it is a little darker than the JD.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I changed to Chevron Hyd Fluid from JD HyGard in my older equipment. HyGard got to be way over priced and I could buy Chevron for about $350 a barrel less. Both have the same specs although it is a little darker than the JD.

Thanks. I was thinking about using Chevron actually--they make HyGard in the first place.You mean $350 less for a 55 gal. drum? Do you remember the specific type?

blitz138

Chevron "Synthetic All-Weather THF" meets JD J20C and J20D specs. Viscosity at 40*C/100*C is 44.7/9.5 cSt.

Chevron "THF W" meets J20D only. Viscosity at 40*C/100*C is 34.4/7.3 cSt.

If I remember right John Deere says you can use motor oil 10w-30, 10w-20. That seems weird to me, motor oil additive packages are very different than hydraulic oil packages. Amsoil makes a synthetic for JD, its probably really expensive though.

Have you looked at who is on the OEM sheet for your Deere?

icestationzebra

You didn't specify what your "late model" Deere is or what system the oil is for so it is hard to be specific. I wouldn't be worried running a major oil brand as long as they specify J20 compatibility and it is the appropriate viscosity for your climate.

J20 is Deere's copy of IH Hy-Tran, the original "tractor oil," and is designed for multiple uses - friction modifiers for wet clutches/brakes, extreme high pressure additives for gears, protect piston pumps, be compatible with yellow metals, and the ability to absorb up the 1% water to help prevent corrosion. Given these requirements I would not substitute engine oil unless you are desperate.

On the other hand, I would be worried about the crud that may be in the barrel you get. The barrels do not get cleaned very well so I filter all of my oil before it goes into the machinery. (I have seen this first hand in multiple barrels from multiple sources.) Any equipment with electronic proportional valves or 5000psi systems should get filtered down to 5-10um. For older equipment 15-20um would be OK. Some people also use water filters but I don't know how effective they are. FYI - The big boys do this on their lube trucks.

I do a three stage pre-filter before it goes into my storage tote: 100 mesh trash screen, 30um and 5um. I also have a 5um filter/breather on the tote. Then you need to keep any oil transfer containers clean.

ISZ

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Chevron "Synthetic All-Weather THF" meets JD J20C and J20D specs. Viscosity at 40*C/100*C is 44.7/9.5 cSt.

If I remember right John Deere says you can use motor oil 10w-30, 10w-20. That seems weird to me, motor oil additive packages are very different than hydraulic oil packages. Amsoil makes a synthetic for JD, its probably really expensive though.

You can NOT use engine oil in the hydraulic system of a Deere.As you say,complete different packages.As stated already,Chevron makes HyGard.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor

I was specifically referring to my 410G TLB,but I might also use the same oil on my 450D dozer.For the record,I have run HyGard and other''will fit'' oils for years in many Deere rigs over the years.HyGard has really priced themselves out of the market for small owner-operators like myself recently.I've never had any problems with good name generic oils that met Deere's J20B and C specs in the past.I just would like some feedback from anyone who tried a particular brand that met the specs AND has had no issues,especially in the area of the tranny and brakes regarding chattering,or the lack of it I should say.I'm a firm believer in just because that cheapy $38 5 gallon pail at Sam's Club says it meets JD specs.,not to completely believe in that.Real world experience is what I'm looking for--that 410G is my baby and it has to last me a long time.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Just found out that Chevron's 1000THF oil is completely compatible[probably identical except for orange color--of course the Chevron engineer wouldn't confirm] to HyGard.

icestationzebra

I can't speak to Chevron, but I have a lot of experience with Mobil, Petro-Canada and CNH HyTran with no oil related issues.

I did look up 1000THF in particular. It is made with "ISO SYN" which is hydro-cracked group 2 base stock (group 2+). In general terms each group up provides improved thermal/oxidation stability and low temperature properties. Group 1 is the cheapest while group 4 is synthetic. Only very high end non-synthetic lube oils will use group 3. From what I can gather the main thing to watch with hydro-cracked base stock is that once the anti-oxidation additives are consumed they are more prone to sludge formation.

No matter which oil you choose, I would recommend you have a regular oil analysis program in place as cheap insurance. I don't know who is in your area, but most CAT dealers provide the lab service.

ISZ

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
This is not related to this thread, but i would like to know what gear-box oil is recommended for a TE20 Ferguson tractor, sorry if ive messed up here, thanks, Garrie.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I can't speak to Chevron, but I have a lot of experience with Mobil, Petro-Canada and CNH HyTran with no oil related issues.

I did look up 1000THF in particular. It is made with "ISO SYN" which is hydro-cracked group 2 base stock (group 2+). In general terms each group up provides improved thermal/oxidation stability and low temperature properties. Group 1 is the cheapest while group 4 is synthetic. Only very high end non-synthetic lube oils will use group 3. From what I can gather the main thing to watch with hydro-cracked base stock is that once the anti-oxidation additives are consumed they are more prone to sludge formation.

No matter which oil you choose, I would recommend you have a regular oil analysis program in place as cheap insurance. I don't know who is in your area, but most CAT dealers provide the lab service.

ISZ

icestation---Again,I'm looking for REAL life experience here from someone who has a late model Deere or Deeres,preferably another small mom and pop like myself who gets their hydraulic oil in 5 gallon pails who doesn't want to overpay at Mother Deere for HyGard and using an EQUAL alternative to it.I thoroughly researched Chevron's 1000 THF along with some other name brands, but for me that's not enough--I want actual feedback on the results.Regarding SOS,I use Schaeffer's labs,along with their products for most of my luby duby needs.

icestationzebra

"Again,I'm looking for REAL life experience here from someone who has a late model Deere"

Understand. You will probably have better luck on a different board that specializes in oils, but from what I have seen they usually bombard the poster with opposing opinions and no evidence.

I would do a google search for Deere and 1000THF, and you will get some hits.

ISZ

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Nobody running Chevron huh?Maybe it's because the dealers are far and few between.Only 2 in all of NY.

cutting edge

You can NOT use engine oil in the hydraulic system of a Deere.As you say,complete different packages.As stated already,Chevron makes HyGard.

Uhhhh....depending on the serial number of your 410G, it may have come with 10w30 as factory fill for hydraulic oil (the change was made someplace along the production run of the G's)

post up the s/n and we should be able to tell you.