• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic hose replacement cleanliness

Columbo

I’ve seen a few comments made here about the importance of keeping the hydraulic system clean when replacing hoses. I’m pretty good about capping off the lines, etc when I removed a hose. However, what is the best way to clean out a new hose to remove assembly debris before installing? Is compressed air sufficient? Some type of solvent? Thanks in advance!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The practice may be industry standard for franchised equipment dealers and factory hose distributors but it is far from standard for your basic auto parts dealer or job shop to provide. Most of the bottom feeders as are know in this area don't even know about those foam plugs and probably decide they aren't worth the cost to begin with. They have a point in that any kind of medium and high pressure hose will be returning any debris back through a return filter before it goes into the hydraulic tank and it is more likely than not to get caught there. On the other hand, when a machine is started up cold, the thicker oil is usually bypassed around the filter and drops straight into the tank.
You might talk to your supplier and bring up the subject. It is worth the discussion.

Columbo

I’ve got a couple hoses that are in need of replacement so I will drop in to the local hose shop soon and ask what they do for cleaning. Outside of the foam plugs is there anything the end user can do to clean the hose before installation?

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer
I’ve got a couple hoses that are in need of replacement so I will drop in to the local hose shop soon and ask what they do for cleaning. Outside of the foam plugs is there anything the end user can do to clean the hose before installation?

On our own equipment in the field, we use breakleen and 120 psi air. I know its not the best, but its what we can do.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The field hydraulic service outfits here also clean as per Niges post so it can be done. If they don't or won't don't use them. Loss of business may change their minds.

Jonas302

If its for your cat hoe in the pic You may be surprised that cat hoses are relatively reasonably priced and are far better than others right length, clocking angle on fittings,clean,have caps on them to stay clean ,proper orings, proper psi rating ect can order and have hose in hand when removing the old one all stuff that adds up to a good value

I have never seen anybody other than Cat clean hose or even have proper caps available or even bags and tape to maintain any cleanliness then if you send someone to get it they think its a good idea to throw it in the back of a work truck rolling around in gravel for a few days before installing

Cmark

I'm kind of surprised the sponge gun isn't better recognised. I've owned one for years. It will be getting extensive use on the 963C rebuild.

excavator

Local hydraulic shop is supposed to use these when building new hoses. I had it one time that they built a pilot hose for a wheel loader and didn't clean it. Had a small piece of metal lodge in the pilot valve and cause a bit of a problem. It's such an easy procedure and when you look at what they charge it certainly should be standard.

Columbo

Thanks for all the replies! I’ve had hoses made by Cat before to replace hoses that I could not remove until I had replacements available. They certainly seemed to maintain a high degree of cleanliness and the hoses were a reasonable price. However, the Cat dealer is 1.5 hrs away while the local hydraulic shop is 20 minutes. I’ll inquire what they use for cleaning next time I’m there.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
None of the hydraulic hose shops near me have those guns, I've asked all round over the years. The response is usually a not bothered, not interested shrug, they've never heard of them kind of look.
I've considered buying one and doing after, but can you clean them after the fittings are on? I assumed the bare hose was cleaned after cutting and skiving.