• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How's this for a project...?

farminHard

datsunman,
Took several days to get "accepted" over at Redpower. I was just getting ready to give up on 'em when I got the email. Be patient.

farminHard

Ray I'm not sure but I think you got too much time on your hands...! Hope I have the patience to make mine look that good.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Brad,
Anything worth doing is worth over doing!

In all honesty, my other passion is boating and I couldn’t do that in the winter. All of you have seen the results. My machine is not perfect. Years of neglect had already taken its toll on the sheet metal. But I did the best with what I had to work with. In the end these machines were designed to be worked hard. I’m amazed to see as many of these machines still in existence. This is a true testament to there original design!

Ray

farminHard

Well I thought I was making progress...

Never disassemble a carburetor with a 2 yr old anywhere close.
I did. It cost me $26 for a new float.

Still not sure where she hid the darn thing...

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
:)
Well I thought I was making progress...

Never disassemble a carburetor with a 2 yr old anywhere close.
I did. It cost me $26 for a new float.

Still not sure where she hid the darn thing...
farminHardThat sounds like a dad's retrospective. We all learn the hard way sometimes. I'll be a dad first time here in a few short months. I'll remember that carburetors and 2yr olds do not mix. Does it make you feel better knowing that I'll benefit from your experience.

farminHard

datsunman,
First off, Congratulations! Fatherhood is Great!!
As for you learning from my experience, I guess it depends on how you apply it. Don't be afraid to let your child help, but keep a better eye on them than I did!

Copy of 102_2004.JPG

wouldn't trade her for the world, regardless what she packs off!
Here's my advice, for what it's worth...
1. Never discipline while angry.
2. Say "I love you" before bed.
3. Don't spend too much time at work.
4. Chase a butterfly once in a while.
Never, Ever sweat the small stuff.
And remember, It's All Small Stuff...

Brad

farminHard

You're doing good datsunman! Hopefully mine will at least start & run this weekend. Been rebuilding the front end on Father-in-law's truck, so I haven't had any time, or room, to work on it. keep after it!

Brad

hardtail

I have some manuals for HA, 25, Hough, and Towmotor, PM me and I can look and see if I have what you need?????

Last edited:

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Hey, farminhand I just showed my dear wife that picture of you and your 2yrold daughter.
She says "Oh, how cute!" I think its sweet too. Hey, maybe she'll learn to fix carburetors and stuff just like you. When I was 5, my dad gave me a little 3hp horizantal shaft Techumse engine that was completely degreased and showed me how it went together, worked and so on. It was soon my favorite toy, usually on the kitchen table,...
datsunman

farminHard

datsunman, tell your wife I said thanks! She's my little Angel. I'm planning on teaching her how to take things apart and put them back together just like I did as a kid. My dad did the same with me. I helped him tear down and rebuild an LT1 he put in a '63 split-window 'Vette when I was 10.
He still has the car, and It'll get passed on to my daughter when the time comes.

farminHard

As for my project, I've pulled the engine assembly, transmission and all, out of the frame. Dropped the oil pan. Head's off. Old valves are out. Pulled the front cover to replace front main seal. Someone's been into the Turd before, as the rods are marked. I got new valves, and have been seating them tonight. I have my Head gasket set & Oil Pan set. Carb is rebuilt and ready to go back on. Waiting on front main seal, which'll be in Saturday.
With any luck, by this time next week I'll have Turd doing laps in the yard.

...If I can find some decent used rear tires...

I'll try to get some pics of the damage I've done so far this weekend.

Brad

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
As for my project, I've pulled the engine assembly, transmission and all, out of the frame. Dropped the oil pan. Head's off. Old valves are out. Pulled the front cover to replace front main seal. Someone's been into the Turd before, as the rods are marked. I got new valves, and have been seating them tonight. I have my Head gasket set & Oil Pan set. Carb is rebuilt and ready to go back on. Waiting on front main seal, which'll be in Saturday.

Brad
When I had to replace the rear tire on mine it was a 9inch rim so I couldn't find that size. My choice ended up to be enlarging the rim center hole of a standard trailer rim and grinding a smidge of metal off the corner of the spindle to allow clearance for the wider rim. That allowed the 8inch rim to be used in place of the original 9inch. The trailer rim isn't as heavy duty but no problems so far,,,. datsunman

Attachments

• stuff for sale 021.jpg
    stuff for sale 021.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 662

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I passed up on buying one of those several yrs ago though a friend of mine who was using it in his junk yard. He offered it to me for $500 and showed me that it in fact ran and worked fine. He was using it for picking up engines, trannys, batteries, small scrap and such. He ended up selling it and i spotted it in a fellows back yard about a month ago. This one was a maroon color and i dont know the make, model or year but it was identical to these.

Occupation
Quality Engineer

Brad

Brad,

One of these days, hopefully in the very distant future, I will pull my motor and do the re-seal thing. Right now I can deal with the occasional engine oil spots on the garage floor.

One of these little FC Waukesha's just sold on ebay yesterday for close to $1000.00. The item number was 320349295667. It was a completely reconditioned engine ready for re-assembly. Too bad no one took him up on the $400.00 "buy it now" feature before the bidding started.

Ray

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Brad,

One of these days, hopefully in the very distant future, I will pull my motor and do the re-seal thing. Right now I can deal with the occasional engine oil spots on the garage floor.

One of these little FC Waukesha's just sold on ebay yesterday for close to $1000.00. The item number was 320349295667. It was a completely reconditioned engine ready for re-assembly. Too bad no one took him up on the $400.00 "buy it now" feature before the bidding started.

Ray
Ah, that was a bargain indeed! I showed my dear wife this mention of yours and it has further proven to her that my Hough is truely worth the 500 bucks "we" paid for it. Gotta say if I had the money and my Hough needed the engine, a ready to assemble engine would be a bargain at one grand. ,...datsunman

farminHard

Been away for a while, doing other things. Still don't have Turd back together. I pulled the driveshaft(If you can call it that..)out and replaced the u-joints. The bolts holding the joints together were trashed, so I thought I'd replace them too. Turns out, in my neck of the woods anyway, those 5/16"-24x1-3/4" socket head cap screws are hard to find! It took me a while to track some down.
So now maybe, in between all my other projects, I can get the little bugger back together.
What I need to find now is a set of front drive wheels. Mine are both rusted so bad I don't think I can repair them. I finally got the right wheel off the hub tonight. It was rusted to the hub, and I had to basically pry it off.
Anyone got a set of spare wheels lying around...?

farminHard

Anybody got the head bolt torque sequence for a FC scribbled on a napkin, by chance...? Just came back in from the shop, and I have the head sitting on the block. Found the torque specs, but no sequence... Anyone...Anyone...?

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Took this picture from my engine manual since I don't have a scanner here. Hopefully this helps.
IMG_1671.jpg
Best of luck with your engine work.
Ray