• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How's this for a project...?

farminHard

After several months of research, and a lot of time lurking here and on another site, I finally broke down and bought this little loader I've been driving by every day. After I got it home I learned it was a Hough HA, although I had originally thought it to be a H25. It's in pretty rough shape, and so far I've only been able to determine that the motor is not locked up. The 2 speed shifter is stuck, but the FWD/REV shifter moves freely. I'm trying to determine the D.O.M. right now so I can start looking for parts. It has a Waukesha FC-281-G engine, but I can't find the Date Stamp on the tag. Anyone have info for the little Turd?

Attachments

• 102_2950.JPG
    102_2950.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 2,908
  • 102_2951.JPG
    102_2951.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 2,918
  • 102_2960.JPG
    102_2960.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 2,823
  • 102_2958.JPG
    102_2958.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 2,788
  • 102_2959.JPG
    102_2959.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 2,726
Last edited:

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
I own 1 just like it and mine is apparently a hough ha or h25

:usaHey, look around in here there's alot of pics of similar machines in these forums
my question is about same as yours but mine is up and running and it seems to
be ok but is ready for some engine and trans work plus a wheel hub is cracking so be sure to remove and examine the drive hub from axel the cracks hide inside the taper spline axel portion inner side. I'll share some pics of mine in side this week.

farminHard

Not sure what shape yours is in, but if you can read the panel just below the guages, thats where mine reads "MODEL HA PAYLOADER" Stamped into the aluminum of the dash panel. Reaches all the way across the dash. I'd looked at a lot of pics calling theirs H25's and H25B's, and they looked very similar to mine. I just assumed mine was too. No matter, I think it'll clean up and do just fine. I'll give the axles a hard inspect when I pull it apart. Thanks!

Brad

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
Get your butt over to redpowermagazine.com. There have been 2 or 3 of these totally rebuilt in just the last few months. These guys touched on just about everything.......GO NOW!In case you actually do go there it will be in the construction machines forum.

farminHard

egoman- I'm waiting for the Admin to give me permissions there now! I'm on the list I guess but so far I can't even post!!!

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Brad,
Congratulations on your purchase! Your Payloader appears to be a third generation machine (4 cylinder lift arrangement, “PAYLOADER” cast into the counterweight). Production of these machines began in approximately 1955. Believe it or not, yours looks in much better shape than what I started with. As I found with mine, it is very difficult to determine the exact year of manufacture of these loaders. My restoration took over a year and was one of the most challenging and rewarding projects that I ever undertook. The details can be seen over on the on the redpower site. Please feel free to contact me (or post) any questions you may have about your machine and/or where to look for parts. We'll try to get you through it.
Ray

Last edited:

farminHard

Ray,
Yours was one of the first I saw when I started researching. I'm hoping to get mine close to the state your is in now!
I'm pretty fortunate in that I work at a auto parts store, and we're in a small farming community with lots of old "Antique" tractors still being used regularly around here. We have access to a lot of the old parts still, so I'm going to take advantage of that. I'm going to take the points/cap/rotor in to work with me and see if I can get some replacements soon, and the carb's gonna get kitted so I can fire it up at least long enuff to move it around. I had to use my 1486 IH to push the little turd into the shop, and it's in the way now.
Have you ever run across anyone who can de-code the serial #'s to find date-of-mfg? I've spent several hours on-line searching, and I have'nt even been able to find a reference to the FC-281-G engine!!

Thanks to all the comments so far. I'll try to keep pics posted of the progress.

Brad

townlineterry

farminhard,

redpower has problems with their registration, you can't do it online. You have to call the phone number on the homepage and ask the woman to register you.

Terry

Raildudes dad

farminhard - I had trouble registering on redpower. After a week or so, I tried again and it went through the second time. I didn't have to call.

PS - I bought a H-25b a couple weeks ago. I haven't received the serial number yet from the seller to determine the year. Can't wait for warmer weather to bring it home:)

townlineterry

Might think about replacing the points with a Petronix module. A little pricey, but I have done it with all my gas powered equipment and never messed with points again. Yesterdaystractor.com should have the one you would need.

Terry

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Brad,
The FC-281 is just a derivative of the tried and true Waukesha FC engine. According to my documentation this engine was used in payloader S/Ns 26900 thru 27400 and 2A-27401 & up. Looking at your pictures, you may have a Delco distributor. But if it is a Prestolite, here are the Standard part numbers: Dist cap AL137, Cap cover AL136, Rotor AL102, Condenser AL63 and points Blue Streak AL5661X. For a replacement carb, try Zenith P/N 14544. If you need any engine parts try Jobbers Warehouse in Philadelphia. They hooked me up with a new cylinder head and water pump for my engine.

Ray

farminHard

Well, I had to get Big Red(my 1486) out and push the Turd(The HA's new name) out of the way to do a small weld job for my father-in-law. Afterward I was standing there thinking about the points problem. Decided to get on-line and see what my options were and....Here you guys are with the answers!
As far as the carb goes, I think(i.e. hope) a rebuild kit will fix it. I'm more concerned with the hole in the exhaust manifold right now. I'm wondering if the one off an 8N will work? Been a while since I've seen one up close, but if memory serves, they use the same block... What do you guys think? If it comes down to it, I can braze the hole shut, but I think I'd be happier if it was more solid. I've got to take it off anyway because it looks like a certain furry rodent has used it for food storage...

I'll give Redpower a day or two before I try it again.

I'm goin' back out to do some more tinkerin' while my wife's gone!:D

Brad

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Brad,
“Turd” meet “Bob the Builder”….. In all seriousness don’t worry about the transmission yet. As I’ve found it’s easier to get the transmission in gear when the engine is running. I also could not get the High/Low shifter to move, once I started using my machine it began to free up. Concentrate on the engine at first, and then worry about the transmission next. From what I’ve seen, these transmissions are built pretty tough. Does your machine have a torque converter or is it completely manual?

Keep an eye out on ebay for your exhaust manifold. I don’t think a Ford 8N manifold is compatible with the Waukesha FC. Believe me I am familiar with both and they may look similar but are not the same.

Your engine, the FC-281 differs from the previous FC-230 in a couple of ways. It is rated at 33 HP vs. 31.5 of the earlier model. I believe this was accomplished by increasing the governed speed from 1800 RPM on the FC-230 to 2000 RPM on the FC-281. I don’t see any other differences. I looked at my builder’s plate on my engine and found the date code 531. I interpret the build date as January 1953. See if your engine has the same information.

Ray

A quick picture of my carb instalation

Attachments

• P1010004 (Large).jpg
    P1010004 (Large).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,571

farminHard

Ray,
I was thinking the same thing on the trans. I expect, after all the pushing and pulling I've done to it, that the tranny does have some tension on it. I've decided the same thing...Get it runnig first!
As to your ?, mine does have the torque converter. I just finished removing the carb, then I ran up to our store and did a quick search to find a re-build kit. Just so happens, I had one. The thing that concerns me tho is the play that's in the shaft of the governor's butterly. It's got too much I think. I'm probly going to put the kit in it, then start looking for a replacement.
About the builders plate, mine has 555. If your theory is correct, then mine would be May of '55?
I don't know...
We need to find someone who can read the serial numbers! The dash plate number that says "refer to this number when ordering parts" is 2A27854.
I'm hoping I can win the bid on ebay for a "parts catalog" that my serial number falls under.
We'll see.
I'm surfing now for other stuff/info for Turd...

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Just got an opinion saying my hough's engine is a 1963

I've been thinking that mine would be a 1955-1967 cause the 67's look a little different and the old pre55's were described by Pauhl300 as not having 4-cyl hydraulics and torque converter. With no tag to get the model or any numbers to reference the last hunch was to go with the engine tag and it was looked up by a Waukesha engine supplier as a feb-march 1963. So maybe my mystery Hough is a 1963 but can't be sure the model. I still am waiting to post some pics here.

Occupation
Quality Engineer
Hi Datsunman,

Pre 1955 Payloaders such as mine, had twin displacement single acting 3.5 in. dia. cylinders on the booms. And a single displacement type single acting 3.5 in. dia. cylinder on the bucket. Early Payloaders had a manual release bucket. Patrick in France has a perfect example of one of these early Payloaders. Check his out on the redpower site.

Ray

Here are pictures of the pre-’55 cylinder arrangement:

Attachments

• IMG_1551 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1551 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_1555 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1555 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 820

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Hey, thanks so I'll bet mine is an after 1955 model. I got over to red power and the pics over there tell me likewise. I'm still waiting to become classified as a member instead of the propationary member so I'll get pic posting priviledges.

farminHard

Thanks Brian!

I assume you found that info in the Payline? I tried to order one from amazon, but they irritated me pretty bad. Guess I'll find a copy elsewhere. Thanks again for the info!

Brad