• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to raise cab on a d6n xl dozer

Anthony93

So I couldnt get the blade to move and when i checked the hydraulic tank it was low so i added hydraulic to it and tried again. the blade still wouldnt move. i shut down the dozer and checked the hydraulic again and it was low. i looked everywhere and found a massive leak directly under the dozer. i know its a hydraulic line but my question is if needed how do i raise the cab so i can get to the rest of the hydraulic lines.... any information will help. thanks in advance.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have you check to see if there is an operators manual in the machine? Often they are located in a pouch on the back of the seat.

Anthony93

When my company bought this dozer it didn’t have any kind of manuals in it unfortunately

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
You don’t raise the cab on a d6n. You can pull the floor plates and covers inside the cab as needed or pull a stump pan. Cab is one unit and is usually left on for leak repairs.
Sounds like you may have a main pump line leak so probably start by removing the floor mat and taking the plate off under your feet.

kshansen

Occupation
When my company bought this dozer it didn’t have any kind of manuals in it unfortunately
Well I just spent a good amount of time looking on SIS at the operator/maintenance manual and could not see anything about raising or tilting the cab! Could it be there are floor panels under floormat that you can remove for access?

Guess taking time out to accompany wife to doctor let Mobiltec come up with the answer, should have checked before writing my reply!

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Not sure if the company would be interested but here is what can be had for a S/N prefix of NJN which I think might be your machine, note the bottom info about being able to download the files in place of waiting for the CD's:

$49.00 for operators manual would be a bargain in my mind, parts manual for $109 also a good deal if you are going to be keeping the machine for any length of time! Heck $638 for the Service manual would probably pay for itself in one or two service calls from the dealer. And NO! I don't get a kick-back from Cat for promoting these manuals I just know how handy they are for any machine be it a D6N or a washing machine!

Attachments

• NJN manuals.pdf
    170.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Anthony93

Unfortunately I found the problem and yes it’s the main hydraulic hose that’s leaking. I have to go underneath to get it. Is there an easy way of doing that because that pan looks heavy. It’s got 6 1 3/16th bolts on both sides to remove. Thank you everyone for your replies!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have to go underneath to get it. Is there an easy way of doing that because that pan looks heavy. It’s got 6 1 3/16th bolts on both sides to remove.
No easy way and be careful, that guard will be much heavier than you think because it will be packed full of oil-soaked dirt.
It would help if the tractor was on a concrete surface or at least some sort of hard floor, and you'll need a hydraulic jack as well. See attachment.

Attachments

• Guard.pdf
    827.1 KB · Views: 9

Anthony93

That arrow is where it’s leaking

Attachments

• BAC5C896-3229-4E94-AB55-54C00FE83BE0.jpeg
    BAC5C896-3229-4E94-AB55-54C00FE83BE0.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 30

Anthony93

We can’t move it is the bad part. Once the dozer starts it just pours out All the hydraulic. This is where I believe is that best option to get to that hose..

Attachments

• 6E6FBCA3-E148-4323-8EA8-9B1F76F0B5FB.jpeg
    6E6FBCA3-E148-4323-8EA8-9B1F76F0B5FB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 5F139EE6-05B1-4CEE-AE69-789336DC7EBF.jpeg
    5F139EE6-05B1-4CEE-AE69-789336DC7EBF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26

Super S

I have used a piece of 3/4 plywood with a floor jack to support the pan. Or in a real bad spot a few heavy duty ratchet straps will hold it up until you get all bolts out.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've always used a 3/4 or 1 ton come along with the ratchet hook on one track that the hook on the other. I'll pull everything up tight and loosen the bolts to start with. Once loose I can reach them from under the tracks and take them out. The I lower the pan. Sometimes I would pull the pan out of the way, in swampy ground, I would just leave it there and work from on top of it. When the machine is running I would move it off and clean out the pans for going back up.

Plywood will have to be pretty thick to hold up the weight on one of those pans with a floor jack.

Anthony93

Ya the plywood I used kinda sunk a bit but I finally got it. Thank you all for your feedback. It helped a lot today

Attachments

• EE9B56C5-29D8-4890-A8B4-53F41898C969.jpeg
    EE9B56C5-29D8-4890-A8B4-53F41898C969.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Those stump pans are widowmakers. Do not underestimate them and stay as clear of them as you can when taking the bolts out even if you think they are securely supported.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Those stump pans are widowmakers. Do not underestimate them and stay as clear of them as you can when taking the bolts out even if you think they are securely supported.
I must admit I was also sweating a bit until you reported that you successfully managed to remove it. Be just as careful putting it back, even though it will weigh less.