• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to quickly blow the new seals in track tensioner cat 311b

slwbid

OK...so recently I bragged a little about how quickly I was able to get the 2nd of 2 cat 311b track adjusters out, replace the seals and re-install it.
Well this past Saturday, I got humbled. I told a big brute of man who works for me sometimes to go tighten the tracks up good and tight. He did all right. As tight as he could possibly get them. He blew the new seals out of both track tensioners just by putting the strength of his leg sized biceps on the grease gun. I didn't know that could be done. But trust me. He did.
I should be pretty darn good at removing, rebuilding and replacing the tensioners after this. Henceforth, I will personally tighten my own tracks. I'll just let this man pull up stumps and pile them in burn pile for me.... with his bare hands.

Best wishes to all
Stacy

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you have a good grease gun they can push out 10kpsi. I hate when someone humbles me like that but I'm usually the guy breaking things so its sort of self punishment. :D

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Its helpful to have an employee that can push start a D8 without assistance.

slwbid

Turns out i was wrong about why my man blew the seals on both track tensioner.
The real issue was that both tracks had work and stretched past the viable lenght of the rod in the tensioner. Once past a certain point, the seals start being exposed and they blow right out.
But i cut short rods to add to ends if the cylinders - to “butter” them, and got many more useful hours out of the tracks.