1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How to quickly blow the new seals in track tensioner cat 311b

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by slwbid, Jun 21, 2016.

1. slwbid

slwbid Well-Known Member

OK...so recently I bragged a little about how quickly I was able to get the 2nd of 2 cat 311b track adjusters out, replace the seals and re-install it.
    Well this past Saturday, I got humbled. I told a big brute of man who works for me sometimes to go tighten the tracks up good and tight. He did all right. As tight as he could possibly get them. He blew the new seals out of both track tensioners just by putting the strength of his leg sized biceps on the grease gun. I didn't know that could be done. But trust me. He did.
    I should be pretty darn good at removing, rebuilding and replacing the tensioners after this. Henceforth, I will personally tighten my own tracks. I'll just let this man pull up stumps and pile them in burn pile for me.... with his bare hands.

Best wishes to all
    Stacy

2. backhoe1

backhoe1 Well-Known Member

why would you want the tracks that tight?

3. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

All track machines have a specified dimension of sag . . . often measured across carrier rollers with all the slack on top.

Cheers.

4. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    If you have a good grease gun they can push out 10kpsi. I hate when someone humbles me like that but I'm usually the guy breaking things so its sort of self punishment. :D

5. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Its helpful to have an employee that can push start a D8 without assistance.