• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your truck?Pics please!!

mackman

I did not know M A N was still building trucks? That one dosen't look very old. You said automated gear box dose that mean auto like an allison or manual with auto shift?

Iron Horse

It's called a Tipmatic transmission . It is like a conventional manual box with 3 counter shafts and syncro's etc. but has no clutch pedal . The computors tell it when to change gear via a hydraulicaly operated clutch throwout bearing . It does'nt shift like an auto , it is just like a manual . The engine revs build up , and then die off , the change is made and the truck accelerates to the next change . Going back down , the computor blips the throttle and changes down a gear .

The truck is on air bags and the cab rides on 4 air bags . The engine is wrapped in soundproofing , the cab is quieter than my new car .

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Hello I'm new to the board, sure some nice rigs posted :notworthy. I have a historical '79 KW with a fresh big cam 4 and a 13speed. I use the truck to haul tractors for shows and the fun of it. Mostly the fun of it :D

Going to attempt to load some pics. The big High Output cable D8 is mine and the D4 being carried piggy back.

I got some more pics of me hauling old antiques if guys are interested?

Thanks

Attachments

• D8 loaded 12.JPG
    D8 loaded 12.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,480
  • Woodland 006bb.JPG
    Woodland 006bb.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,480
  • Woodland 007.jpg
    Woodland 007.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,480
  • Woodland 02.JPG
    Woodland 02.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • Woodland sixty's bb.JPG
    Woodland sixty's bb.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,455

nedly05

Hello I'm new to the board, sure some nice rigs posted :notworthy. I have a historical '79 KW with a fresh big cam 4 and a 13speed. I use the truck to haul tractors for shows and the fun of it. Mostly the fun of it :D

Going to attempt to load some pics. The big High Output cable D8 is mine and the D4 being carried piggy back.

Thanks

Of course we're interested! Im intrigued by that flat deck set-up, does that slide into the 5th wheel? Very nice!!!

special tool

Thanks

You're kidding, right?:p
Post every single pic you ever took - how's that?

Also - what is the SPECIFIC paint name of the old Caterpillar grey??
Anyone know?

Red Bank

Of course we're interested! Im intrigued by that flat deck set-up, does that slide into the 5th wheel? Very nice!!!

Yes I am interested in that set up too, I was going through the pictures and was like "whoa, that is neat!" Also, very nice truck:notworthy

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
I built the tilt bed so I could haul my D4 and tow the 5th wheel travel trailer to tractor and truck gatherings. The tilt bed mounts only to the 5th wheel and the D4 holds it down in place with some guides. It will tilt and rest on the ground the I just climb up it. Here are some pics of the bed.

When I get to the gathering I simply drop the travel trailer, unload D4, forklift off bed, latch on to available trailer and start trucking tractors to and from the gathering. The woman takes her car and goes shopping and I go trucking, the best vacation a man can ask for :IMO

Attachments

• bed4.JPG
    bed4.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • bed3.JPG
    bed3.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,599
  • bed1.JPG
    bed1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,582
  • bed5.JPG
    bed5.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,598
  • bed and KW.JPG
    bed and KW.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,582

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
One thing I ask before hauling someone's tractor is that I get to load and unload it. Some frown an little bit but I got a smile on my face. I consider myself pretty lucky to operate these old classics. The owners are happy to get them hauled for only fuel costs.

Some more pics.
1. Turbo cable blade D7
2. D7 and track type :beatsme
3. RD7 + D7
4. Thirty Five + RD7
5. Twenty Eight + D4 + Fifty

Attachments

• 6Woodland 03.JPG
    6Woodland 03.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 7Woodland 3.JPG
    7Woodland 3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 8Woodland 009b.JPG
    8Woodland 009b.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 10Woodland 010.JPG
    10Woodland 010.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,429
  • 11Woodland 012b.JPG
    11Woodland 012b.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,436

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
OK I'm just going to "give it till it hurts" LoL

1. Holt 10 ton
2. Diesel Seventy Five
3. Best 60
4. Cat 60 + Holt 2 ton
5. High crop 10 + RD7 + Farmall

Special tool, I believe this to be the paint code for the grey 595B-26134.

Attachments

• 13Woodland 519.jpg
    13Woodland 519.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 14Woodland 021.jpg
    14Woodland 021.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,433
  • 15Woodland 521.jpg
    15Woodland 521.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,427
  • 16Woodland 24.JPG
    16Woodland 24.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Hauling 002.jpg
    Hauling 002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,420

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Before you guys think this is all fun and games, it can be very frustrating starting these old jewels :Banghead . Usually the owner starts it and I load it. Then at the show I have to start it back up.... I call him up :cussing he says "did you remember to crank it half turn with 7/16 choke, wait 4 seconds, kick left track twice, hold your breath, then it should fire, you forget?":eek:ops Few times I just have to pull start them, after about 2' and they fire up.

1. Cat Fifteen + :beatsme + Harvester on 9 axle's trailer. Thanks for letting me use it Todd.
2. :beatsme was the hardest thing to operate. One wheel steers it and one is the clutch. When backing up it will rip the wheel out off you hands and jack knife just like that.
3. Me loading a Cat Sixty
4. Me on a Sixty that twisted sideway while getting ready to take it home :eek:. The hard part is to not panic on an unfamiliar machine.
5. My D8 and Utility Trailer

Thats it, thats all the pics I have. Hope you enjoyed them.

Attachments

• loading sixty.JPG
    loading sixty.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,411
  • Woodland 045.jpg
    Woodland 045.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 18Woodland 046.JPG
    18Woodland 046.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,416
  • loading sixty 2.JPG
    loading sixty 2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,405
  • D8 on Utility trailer.JPG
    D8 on Utility trailer.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,397

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Before you guys think this is all fun and games, it can be very frustrating starting these old jewels :Banghead . Usually the owner starts it and I load it. Then at the show I have to start it back up.... I call him up :cussing he says "did you remember to crank it half turn with 7/16 choke, wait 4 seconds, kick left track twice, hold your breath, then it should fire, you forget?":eek:ops Few times I just have to pull start them, after about 2' and they fire up.

1. Cat Fifteen + :beatsme + Harvester on 9 axle's trailer. Thanks for letting me use it Todd.
2. :beatsme was the hardest thing to operate. One wheel steers it and one is the clutch. When backing up it will rip the wheel out off you hands and jack knife just like that.
3. Me loading a Cat Sixty
4. Me on a Sixty that twisted sideway while getting ready to take it home :eek:. The hard part is to not panic on an unfamiliar machine.
5. My D8 and Utility Trailer

Thats it, thats all the pics I have. Hope you enjoyed them.

I do believe that "hardest thing to operate" is near the top of my list of the most crazy looking contraptions I've ever seen! I love it! :p:p

nedly05

Awesome pics!! That flat deck is too cool, does it have a king pin in the bottom to match the truck? What keeps it from turning from side to side?

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Thanks RB and tree mover.

ATCO, that crazy contraption would not load on the trailer forward due to lack of traction. Tried it in reverse an it kept jack knifing so we just winched it up.

nedly, the bed king pin simply latches into place. Then I drilled and tapped it so I could draw it down tight to keep the bed from bouncing when empty. One time I forgot to tighten them and it didn't bounce around. So if I ever got to repaint, I'll probably just weld it in place.

My truck has a long 5' 5th wheel track so I slide the 5th back to set the bed on. Toward the front of the bed are some guides that rest against the sides of the 5th wheel track to prevent it from twisting. This also keeps from wearing on the aluminum frame. Sorry no pics of the guides but here is a pic of the king pin.

Attachments

• king pin1.JPG
    king pin1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,371

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
K100G Kenworth Cat 18 speed on hendrickson airbag. Legal gross of 64 ton. So far its been a good slave ,paticularly the fact that most of the time its on dirt and 10 ton or so overloaded.

Attachments

• DSCN0199.JPG
    DSCN0199.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,508

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
nedly, no I haven't been stopped in the scales with any of my loads yet. I now have 2" bold letters on the doors saying "Historical Truck, Not for Hire" so hopefully this answers any questions before asked.

It also helps that the truck looks good and I do keep up on it. One of the latest repair was new air bags for the Pete air/leaf suspension.

Nextdoor, nice truck! What do they give you for weight on your axles or axle groups?

Charlie, only 600 hours, what a great find. Any rust around the cab? I bet you don't get any speeding tickets in it LoL. What is the top speed while towing?