• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How old is your truck?Pics please!!

440chevy

I read in your lowboy thread that you can gross 72K with that set up, is that the most you can get for the bridge formula due to the trailer being short? How many ton can you haul? What is the tare weight of the truck and trailer? Nice set up!

With my gross at 72 I haul about 21 ton in it, which isn't bad considering how maneuverable it is. Empty weight is 29,500, but the trailer is pretty heavy duty with Ar-450 steel for hauling concrete, so that's not to bad either.

-NICK-

Occupation
Driver
Here are a couple of shots of ours.

Attachments

• 114_0166x11.jpg
    114_0166x11.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 102_0026x.jpg
    102_0026x.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 100_0054x.jpg
    100_0054x.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,213

ddot430

I built the tilt bed so I could haul my D4 and tow the 5th wheel travel trailer to tractor and truck gatherings. The tilt bed mounts only to the 5th wheel and the D4 holds it down in place with some guides. It will tilt and rest on the ground the I just climb up it. Here are some pics of the bed.

When I get to the gathering I simply drop the travel trailer, unload D4, forklift off bed, latch on to available trailer and start trucking tractors to and from the gathering. The woman takes her car and goes shopping and I go trucking, the best vacation a man can ask for :IMO

So how do you pick up the bed on the frame of the truck to lock it in the fifth wheel

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
ddot, very simple, C the pics - worth a million words :D

If your thinking off building a bed I will share all my pics and info with you.

Attachments

• bed 003.jpg
    bed 003.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,053
  • Woodland 019.jpg
    Woodland 019.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,058

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
sar

i i have a 1978 SAR kenworth, it came out new with a 290 cummins, the guy i bought it of fitted a detroit d dec 2, 18 speed and an air bag rear end out of a freightliner, i ran it for 2 years with no problems, replaced it with a 2004 MAN and now have it for sale. they are are great old truck.

Attachments

• P1040162.jpg
    P1040162.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4,358
  • P1040159.jpg
    P1040159.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3,158

amunderdog

My 1993 or 94 Ford LN8000
8.3 Cummins with a 6spd
Ford LN8000.jpg
It is a work in progress. Last of the no electronic trucks.

This is the old 1968? Chevrolet 60 series my dad wore out.
It had a 402 with 5spd + 2spd rear.
Dads old truck.jpg
He made good money with that old truck.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
i i have a 1978 SAR kenworth, it came out new with a 290 cummins, the guy i bought it of fitted a detroit d dec 2, 18 speed and an air bag rear end out of a freightliner, i ran it for 2 years with no problems, replaced it with a 2004 MAN and now have it for sale. they are are great old truck.

Your steering wheel and shifter are on the wrong side!!!

Dirtmaster

8v71

are you in the military or is this your hobby? I noticed the truck says USMC.

Hiya. No, never been in the military. The USMC stands for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. :usa This is just play stuff. We take it to parades and shows. Just had it at Ft. Lewis in Washington State for Armed Forces Day festivities. Major hoot!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Steve,doesn't that pic just scare the heck out of you?Something tells you that there would be no problem driving it but if I found myself in a "situation",having to rely on instints,sitting on the wrong side of the truck and driving on the wrong side of the road too most likely I am not sure how I would react to it.
I drove a '78 KW for years,the long nose one pulling the lowbed and dumptrailer and it was an excellent truck.Ron G

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Steve,doesn't that pic just scare the heck out of you?Something tells you that there would be no problem driving it but if I found myself in a "situation",having to rely on instints,sitting on the wrong side of the truck and driving on the wrong side of the road too most likely I am not sure how I would react to it.
I drove a '78 KW for years,the long nose one pulling the lowbed and dumptrailer and it was an excellent truck.Ron G
i have been to the US several times and have done plenty of driving(cars and bike,no truck),when you have to be careful and concentrate is turning left or right at intersections as you tend to steer toward the side of the road you are used to driving on, another tricky one is coming out of a gas station , i came out of one in orlando and turned left in to incoming traffic, luckily there was some room to head off to the side of the road and miss the cars.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Last of the no electronic trucks.

Love them old Fords. I wish I was around when there were less or no electronics in everything. It's weird to have our New Holland skid steer beep at us every time we get into it, just as weird for the same on my quad. :dizzy

Do my eyes deceive me, or did the roof collapse on the front of the old Chevy? It's a shame it's in such a condition, but I guess there comes a day when trucks get put out to pasture. :(

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
found some pics of a couple trucks from Red Top Trucking out of Gary, Indiana which unfortunately hasn't been in business for about 20 years or more. from what i hear they were a great bunch to work for too. they were one of the largest trucking companies in NW Indiana and Chicago. if it fit in a dump or flatbed RedTop hauled it. the first one is their Hendrickson lowboy tractor which had a custom lowboy built for it and it was the largest lowboy in the greatlakes region. not sure what the engine model is but i do know it was the older brother to the 3408 cat. :notworthy

the next picture is one of their later Hendrickson triaxles that had a 3408 cat. dad said he had the chance to run it for a day cause something happened to his truck and he wished he bought the old henry when it was sold.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,573
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3,025

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
I wish I had pictures from where I started out! I was 13 and the neighborhood boys and I went into this old what we thought was a shed. I there was an old bed, and a stereo with speakers, or I should say HiFy, some advertising stuff in a case, and old desk. I thought that if the man really wanted this stuff, he'd put it in his 8 bay truck garage. I thought like his dogs he didn't want them any more, so I took 1 speaker, and some old keys like to dressers, and cabinets. There was nothing in the shed these keys seemed to go to! There were some old kind of brown signal fuses, that none of us wanted. We figured the mice had gotten to them fro all the sawdust in the wooden case.

Well about a month after the first time we took some stuff, we went back, and looked around again.There was the wooden file cabinets, and the desk not much else. Except for the fuses. I took one out, and there was sweat on it I wiped tho of it off, and when it hit the floor, there was a bang like an M80. This scared the poop right out of us, so I ever so genitally put it back in the saw dust, and we all got the h e double toothpicks out of there. An other kid took about 4 of those fuses, and was running from the cops when he fell. The ones he had were dried out. This kid snitched on me, and I had the cops show up asking about how much dynamite we took. I asked what dynamite, I thought those were safety fuses? You got to remember we grew up around smudge pots, and red globe kero lanterns for traffic control.

We were taken to court, and I had a year of probation. I went to the man and I tried to talk to him. Tell him I was sorry. He was a fowl mouth old miserable shell of a former hard working man. Finally after about a week I was able to plead my case with him. I told him that the speaker I got I thought he didn't want, so like trash I just took it. I said with the condition of tis shed I thought he'd abandoned it, no windows, sagging floor 3 dog skeletons, and rats. What did the lock on the door mean? I thought you didn't want the either, and then I told him that I work off the damages, thinking that I'd be mowing his lawn, and cleaning up around his construction yard. He told me that if I was serious about making it right, to be there 6:00 am the next morning with a lunch, and plan on the whole day! I showed up a 5:55 am, and regretted it by the end of the day. I shoveled a truck load of top soil, and he dumped it in an other spot. He was kind of laughing, and told me to be back tomorrow the same time. Thinking I would show, he didn't come down until about 9:00. Not really knowing what to do, I toped the fluids in his B47, D3 Cat dozer with backhoe, the crane, and his pickup.

After about a month a farmer west of town called for a load of top soil. Wanted 15 yards. Elton was too blind to see to drive. He had me take the load at about 1:00 and told me if I wasn't back by 2:00, he'd know that I had problems. He knew I was 13, and I didn't have a license. That alone sent him on a cussing spree that lasted just over 20 minutes, which boiled down to either your going to work, or your a liar and a thief.

I'll never forget the look on my dads face when I drove up the access road which our driveway was on. My dad was a pro driver driving truck for a living. When he got home he asked me if I was the one driving the old mans dump, and I said yes. He then told me that I was to NEVER Driver unlicensed on the street ever again. The liability to him was too great, which was one of dads favorite catch phrases. I learned a lot about trucks and gas motors with 5X3 and 5X4 twin sticks.

In 2000, I was driving a twin HI/LO/RX5 in an R model with a 238 diesel triaxle! A driver in a condo unit was cussing me because I just got on the expressway, and I was working her up to speed when he came up on me. If you can't drive that thing then get it off the road was the gist of his complaint. I simply with being mad said that I was a newer driver and I didn't know everything, and I sure would like him to show me how to shift a twin stick. Silence. I repeated that any help on driving a twin stick Mack would be helpful. Still silence. I then told that driver that he show never complain about what another driver is doing. Someone else said I think you scared him off with the twin stick talk. I made sure that this was no BS that Mack had 2 sticks the changed gears coming up out of the floor!

nedly05

I went down yesterday and dug out my plow and snow tires because lets face it winter is nearing. Well I thought I would take a pic the first truck I drove after I got my CDL, its a '74 GMC 7000 427 gas, 5+2 trans, air brakes, 10 fronts, 23 rears, 200,000+ miles. I was thinking I should put a new motor in a use it as a site truck. It was a good old beast, really makes me appreciate the granite!!!

Attachments

• old 74 GMC.jpg
    old 74 GMC.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 2,509

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
It's going to need a little work .

Attachments

• !Bc+,jFgBGk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEq3!t422KBK246kks+w~~_12.jpg
    !Bc+,jFgBGk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEq3!t422KBK246kks+w~~_12.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,292