• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how old are you?

how old are you?

• under 20

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • under 30

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • under 40

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • under 50

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • under 60

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • under 70

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • under 80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80 and older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none of your bussiness

• old enuff to know better young enuff to still act stupid

• Total voters

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
i was just wondering what kind of age range we have on the board.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
main reason i ask is alot of people have issuse with younger guys being in charge. ive worked for a lot of larger compaines and have been put in the postion of supervisior or site boss. and some of the older guys have had issues with this. im 25 will be 26 in march ive been around this type of work since iwas born. so ive been around for a lil while not always on the payroll but still around.
so does some ones age play a roll in how you judge there knowledge? or do you take them for what they can do and know?

and for the record your never to old to learn. as a matter of fact im register to go back to college this coming fall. im not done in this line of work just going to take a new approach.

thanks to all who answer.

payton

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Knowing the work is only part of what's needed to be in charge. "People skills" are just as important. I think that's especially true if you're younger, because you do need to prove yourself. Once you get old, people are more likely to *assume* that you know the work, and that isn't necessarily true either.

I know it's sort of "circular reasoning" but if you have the people skills to lead even those older than yourself, it doesn't matter that you're younger.

(Just for the record, I just squeaked in to the under 50 group.)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm in the same group as digger242j.

I'll agree with your reasoning that your never too old to learn, life is one big education, start to finish.

By the same token, I've seen quite a few young know it alls, (I may have been one myself!) who think they've got the world by the tail because they've had some education. It's my belief the school of hard knocks will give you the best education and that a good dose of common sense will carry you a long ways in this world.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
Originally posted by Steve Frazier
I'm in the same group as digger242j.

I'll agree with your reasoning that your never too old to learn, life is one big education, start to finish.

By the same token, I've seen quite a few young know it alls, (I may have been one myself!) who think they've got the world by the tail because they've had some education. It's my belief the school of hard knocks will give you the best education and that a good dose of common sense will carry you a long ways in this world.

i agree hard knocks is the best school it taught me alot. hard knocks as in growing up on the farm if i did something wrong i wasnt told so.. i wasnt told what i did wrong i was hit up side the back of my head and told i beeped that up. now fix it. lol i hated it growing up and im sure not that way now but it taught me alot bout problem solving and steping back and looking at different ways of doing things.
i also agree personality is a big one. i get along with 95% of people .. once they talk to me but when you or any body first meets me im looked down upon. ive got tats -percings and people dont accept that around here
and yes there are alot of know it alls ive meet a few myself that just get under my skin.. but its great when a know-it-all says to do it this way you say no it should be this way.. he says im the boss we do it this way. you do it his way(the wrong way) the owner of the company shows up and ask what the beep your doing. and why your doing it this way..

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
My 2 cents worth:

I'm now a spry 51, retired at 48 from 26 years in the Army. Was a Colonel, so I've had my share of experience working with, for and over others, in various different situations.

Took a job as a "new" operator, on a three man crew with a 30 something as boss, and a 20 something as the better operator of the two already there. They were naturally wary of my age and experience, but I was inclined not to be overly proud of my past, and tried to just follow along. Four months later, the 40 something quit over unrelated issues, and I became the leader. Big boss decided a few months after that to get out of the dirt business (primary business was building log homes) so I was on the street, while the 20 something strapped on a nail bag and joined the log crew.

Guess the lesson here was that it's the personalities of those involved as to whether older guys can work for younger guys without problems.

As for me, I've never had problems with working for someone "younger" if he (or she, for that matter) knew more than I did. I'm the type that's never to proud to admit that someone else may know something I don't. I just want to learn a bit more each day. I have seen situations where "older guys" simply cannot tolerate youth, and it's their problem, not the youngster's.

End result - the boss did me a favor by "firing" me, as I've linked up with a couple other guys for whom I work occasionally, and I'm a hair away from buying my own equipment, and doing what I've always wanted to.

Bit of advice to any older guys out there - Smarts and experience can come from lots of sources, don't discount the "youngsters on the basis of youth, alone.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I'm probably the youngest one here... still a young little frosh in college! Then again, I don't run or take part in a business...

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
BobcatS250 don't sell yourself short. You probably know more technical info about skidsteers than most dealers do. I don't know how much you recall off the top of your head or you look up but I know you've helped many a person on Lawnsite for quite some time. I hope someday soon you get to drive a few machines you know so much about. Thanks and keep up the good work.:drinkup

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
BobcatS250
Just to agree with badranman. I see you post on tractorbynet as well and you have a good handle on Bobcat as well as a few other mfg's. I always read your post with interest. Wouldn't have guessed your age.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Sorry been away for a short while... I try to keep updated with most of my information. Most of it's memory but certain nitty gritty (model number and aspiration of every Deere engine in a skid steer, for example) is over my head.

But thanks for the comments. Appreciate it.

Anyhow -- have a great holiday!

killdozer

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Age ain't everything!!!

I don't know if I am the eldest on this forum, but I can't be too far behind. I'm 65 years old and today I am 7 days away from hanging it up. I started in this field when I was 12 years old and I ran an old Allis-Chalmers grader. The only thing powered on that machine was the small motor that supplied power to the wheels, of which there were 4, 2 drivers - 2 steerers. The blade was raised by 2 large cast steel wheels connected to the blade by chains. To raise the blade one applied muscle to the wheel on the side to be raised.

I've worked with young men who were wise and I've worked with old men who were perfect as--s. I have also run into a few wise-old-men who's every word I listened too intently. If you've met one of them, you know the kind I mean.

I think the best motto for a workman is "Do the best you can and every day try to learn at least one new thing."

I personally have never met a man I couldn't learn something from.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Age ain't everything!!!

I've worked with young men who were wise and I've worked with old men who were perfect as--s. I have also run into a few wise-old-men who's every word I listened too intently. If you've met one of them, you know the kind I mean.

I think the best motto for a workman is "Do the best you can and every day try to learn at least one new thing."

I personally have never met a man I couldn't learn something from. [/B]

I agree... and will definitely take that to heart.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
What is that old saying?

The older I am the smarter I become
The smarter I become the dummer I relise I am.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Killdozer.................the very best to you in your retirement.I will be 64 in May and am getting close myself.
I started this line of work in 1960 at FT Leonard Wood Missouri during my basic training in the army and have been doing it in some form ever since.The comments you make are things that I say myself often and I agree that we can learn every day.
The only difference between us is that I don't care what I run.
When I run junk it just makes me appreciate the good stuff more:)) Ron

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
age before beauty

I'll be 40 next April.Heavy equipment is all I know.I worked in a Tony Roma's kitchen from 16 to 18,but started in a Cat dealer's shop after I graduated from high school,in 1983.Haven't held a job outside construction,or mining,since.
I've had my share of arguments with "older" co-workers,but,I was trained by some hard-core,old school,journeymen.When I'm unsure,I listen,when I'm sure,I don't back down.
SAFTEY-comes first. You never do anything that may endanger a co-worker's life,or limb.
QUALITY-Is second.Never compromise your professional integrity.
COMPANY-is third.If your treated with respect,by the outfit you work for,hinge your choices by what is best for the outfit,we all should be working toward the same goals.If the workers do better,when the company does better,it's everyone's job to do better.
This is what I use to guide my "professional" life.Most of the people I work with,seem to have the same perspective.For 14 years,I've watched K.W.Pipeline grow,and prosper.The people around me have started families,bought houses,and generally lived better.It's my responsibility to insure the equipment is available,to keep the jobs on schedule,that insures 40 hour paychecks for operators and laborers,young and old alike.I take this seriously.

redbmwrider

well i may be the youngest at 17. but ive been around the construction world all of my life with my dad, and plan to take over the buisness in a few years.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
wow i forgot i had posted this.. thank you one and all for your views.

payton