• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much leakage before you rebuild a hyd cylinder?

ozybob

Silicon enemy # one

Hi! to everyone,

I have been reading the messages with great interest and have found that most of the trouble we all have to face is "Silicon enemy # one" in other words dirt, it is a real component killer. I work for a Caterpillar dealer: We a lab that tests each oil sample and then a trend is built up and any abnormal wear or even the slightest increase in readings can be evidence that that component may have a problem, such as a high metal in a front wheel bearing, could indicate the hrad surface of the bearings is failing and a quick look at the bearings for example could save the spindal etc, in other words lots of money. You can have a look for at another oil analysis company, they are called "Wearcheck" I have pasted a web link to an aryicle you may find intersting, there is a wearcheck in the USA, simply go to the link below and follow the sites very intersting technical articles.
http://www.wearcheck.com/literature/techdoc/WZA003.htm

I would advise everyone to use the many Caterpillar dealers SOS oil analysis centres. A little effort and a few dollers spent, could save one Thousands in replacing or repairing failed components. One last thought, do you know that it only takes one tea spoon of dirt, ie. silicon to contaminate a 45 gallon drum of hydraulic oil? That oilcould not be used in a clean hydraulic machine circiut.

Hope that I have not bored you all to tears, just trying to help.

Ozy Bob

alco

I figure if you're starting to measure the leak in gallons per minute, a rebuild may be getting close...lol.

Brian

joispoi

It will only cost you more in hydraulic fluid if you wait to make the repair...and maybe lost referrals. Most customers don´t want leaky equipment on their property.

Image is important. Showing that you take pride in your equipment indicates that you probably take pride in your work, too. If it´s leaking, fix it.

crossthreaded

It will only cost you more in hydraulic fluid if you wait to make the repair...and maybe lost referrals. Most customers don´t want leaky equipment on their property.

Image is important. Showing that you take pride in your equipment indicates that you probably take pride in your work, too. If it´s leaking, fix it.

I had a contractor show up to my course with a leaky machine that he was going to be running in one of the fairways :pointhead