• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much leakage before you rebuild a hyd cylinder?

Panorama

Just curious to hear how much external leakage you guys allow before you rebuild your hydraulic cylinders. When you see any sign of oil? When there is a very slow drip? Or When it is dripping a lot?

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
Whenever its convenient. Past the point of seepage but not to the point of a dam breaking.

ozybob

Hi!

Any hyd cylinder that is leaking should be rebuilt, as contamination of the entire hydraulic system will eventullay occur and cause lots more damage.

cheers

ozybob

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
If it is enough that you notice it might be time to re-seal or rebuild.

mathuranatha

Hi!

Any hyd cylinder that is leaking should be rebuilt, as contamination of the entire hydraulic system will eventullay occur and cause lots more damage.

cheers

ozybob

I didnt know that.Does it mean that contaminants,dust ,grit etc get sucked back in the leaking seal under certain conditions?

krich

Normally its up to you and how much your prepared to pay for oil, but rule of thumb is oil leaking out of the head is bleeding pass the head seals, as long as the wiper seal is still intact then your ok and do it when it gets annoying, but if the wiper seal is damaged or gone all together then get it done asap as you risk the chance of contamination being draw into the head seals and possibly the hydraulic system particularly if it the bucket cylinder.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
It depends on the work also

I do a lot of burning so I keep my equipment pretty dry.

:D

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Chill my dear chap, chill, I was only pulling your leg. :D

You might want to change that font back to normal though. ;)

tootalltimmy

Sorry. Just trying to help out the old guys with poor reading eyesight like me!!

I ran an old ex 200 that the boom dropped when you pulled back on the joystick. That combined with John Deere controls really screwed me up. I think they added hydraulic oil every day.

This is good info. Taking care of the cylinders is important.

ozybob

Hi!

Well sometimes we think just another bit of oil will not matter, have to get the job done. Time must always be planned to maintain the machines that make us a living, thanks for the reply.

Panorama

Normally its up to you and how much your prepared to pay for oil, but rule of thumb is oil leaking out of the head is bleeding pass the head seals, as long as the wiper seal is still intact then your ok and do it when it gets annoying, but if the wiper seal is damaged or gone all together then get it done asap as you risk the chance of contamination being draw into the head seals and possibly the hydraulic system particularly if it the bucket cylinder.

If the head seal looks okay.. no chips or cracks does that mean it is okay and I can wait a bit longer to reseal a bit longer? Or is this pushing it?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If the head seal looks okay.. no chips or cracks does that mean it is okay and I can wait a bit longer to reseal a bit longer? Or is this pushing it?

It's your choice Panorama. The wiper has one purpose, and one purpose only; to "wipe the rod of debris that would comprimise the gland seal" and keep contaminants out of the hyd system, i.e. water or grit. If the wiper is still intact, it's probably doing its job. So the question is the oil leakage. That has nothing to do with the wiper, that is the job of the gland seal. It's like this; you notice a little oil on the rod...hmmm. Oil begins to "drip", now it starts making a mess on the machine. Now it's constantly leaking, get your wallet out to buy more oil to replace what you've lost. My point is; the wiper is not the issue here, the gland seal is. If you see evidence of oil leakage, the gland seal "is" going bad. And the only thing for certain is it "will" get worse. It's just your choice as to when to repair it; while it's just seeping oil...or when you really need the machine and it's pouring oil. ;)