• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How long is your noonbreak?

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Greg , your right , I used to cart timber onto a wharf and they had the same deal . Walk off time was all part of it and they all had their own scooters to run between lunch room and work place , lunch time a few used to ride to the pub for lunch , they were even more useless when they got back . This was a few years ago now

robin yates uk

years ago in the UK the pub/bar was where many construction workers went for their break.Many used to come back pissed as a rat(pissed as a rat means drunk in the UK )Thankfully this bad habit was stopped by the Health and Safety.However many seem to use "blow" or "weed" instead. This was common in the early 2000's, no idea if it still goes on now as I'm retired:drinkup

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Start work at 6 then get a 15 minute break at 9am, then 30 minutes at lunch then quit a 2:30 sometimes we work OT. If we work alot of OT we can opt that time on Friday for a longer lunch. In the hot part of the summer we have a little longer moring and then an added 10 minute break depending on the temp.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
Two half hour breaks in a 12.5 hr shift. 6.15 start, 6.45 finish. Breaks start at 10.30 or 11 for the first and 3 or 3.30 for the second. Same for day and night shift.

alco

Did a job on the west coast several years ago. Equipment got loaded on ship for export. Longshoremen did the loading. Their schedule follows:

8:00 AM start, 15 minutes walk on time from where they parked 200 feet from dock.
9:15 AM to 9:30 AM walk off time for 9:30 to 9:45 Break, 9:45 to 10:00 walk back time.
11:45 to 12:00 Noon walk off time for 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM lunch, 1:00 PM to 1:15 PM walk back on time.
2:15 to 2:30 PM walk off time for 2:30 to 2:45 break, 2:45 to 3:00 PM walk back on time.
4:45 to 5:00 PM walk off time , quit at 5:00 PM.

That comes to a total of 5.5 hours per day. All in their contract.

I won't say that this is typical of all the Longshoreman Locals, but was for this one.

Greg, you might want to check the math on that. It adds up to 3.5 hours per day, which is still ridiculous, but not nearly as bad as the 5.5 hours you mention.

JDOFMEMI

I think he is referring to 5.5 hours of work time for the day.

As you said, still ridiculous by any sane persons reasoning.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . CM1195. I thought you blokes said "drunk as a skunk"? Some places here say "pissed as a plover (or parrot), then there's "full as a fart" and "full to the gills" Must be a regional thing hey?

Cheers.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yair . . . CM1195. I thought you blokes said "drunk as a skunk"? Some places here say "pissed as a plover (or parrot), then there's "full as a fart" and "full to the gills" Must be a regional thing hey?

Cheers.

Yep, "drunk as a skunk" is one of my favorites as well. I don't know if it's a southern thing or not but I have heard it my whole life.

Sometimes my wife says I am "full as a fart" or is it "full of farts" :confused:....

Last edited:

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Just plain old "Pissed" covers it here . And it doesn't mean your angry

Last edited:

dirty4fun

I usually take 10 minute lunch, and only stop for a drink of water when I need it in the summer time. When running the excavator in the summer my water jug is with me and a quick sip when I need it, is my only break.

NoCrapmatsu

I just left my job in carpentry for rig work, but when we were going it was start at 7, show up early though, then break at 10 for 15 mins, then lunch at 1230 for half an hour, then go until 430. But your breaks werent paid. whenever i ran equipment for companies though i didnt take breaks. when you got guys out working hard for hours and they only take a 15 why should i take it when i sat on my ass for that time. Biggest reason im not into the whole operating gig anymore really.

Colorado Digger

we take 30 mins form 12-12.30. some times we may take 45 mins depending on the day. we don't really take breaks. i pay the guys for a straight day..meaning they are on the clock during lunch.
we are known to take a break under a shady tree every now and then as well.
regards,cd

Dig_Texas

When we're digging in a loop we normally only stop for lunch and dinner and keep at it until either done or dark.

When we are installing a new unit in the attic in the summer, breaks every 15-20 and a drink of water. Three of us go thru 3 cases of water and no bathroom break. Makes one appreciate working outside under a shaded canopy.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
When we are installing a new unit in the attic in the summer, breaks every 15-20 and a drink of water. Three of us go thru 3 cases of water and no bathroom break. Makes one appreciate working outside under a shaded canopy.

Really makes you appreciate an A/C cab.:D

Spangles

7 am start, 5 pm finish. Two hour break. That's what my guys get although this might change in a few months time as operators are getting real pissy lately and I'm looking into recruiting operators outside the country.
Do note the operations are not in uk just in case anyone wants to shoot me for bringing in foreign workers.