• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How long is your noonbreak?

Spangles

somewhere over the rainbow...just kidding :D
in your pm. How's Philippines treating ya?

Sam

robin yates uk

I made a critical error when I came here 4 years ago.I didnt realise I allowed my UK citizeship to lapse.If I get back home I have to reapply for healthcare etc etc and no guarantee they will grant it

Spangles

I made a critical error when I came here 4 years ago.I didnt realise I allowed my UK citizeship to lapse.If I get back home I have to reapply for healthcare etc etc and no guarantee they will grant it

I was not aware uk citizenship can lapse...how is that even possible?! if you're British and hold a British passport then you're still entitled to healthcare regardless of how long you've been out of the country.

robin yates uk

they rescind free healthcare if you are out of the UK for 6 months.I can avail healthcare but at the full cost.I am trying to get accepted with my old GP Surgery but there is no guarantee of this being successful.I need help but don't think this is forthcoming sadly

Spangles

GP's don't know if you've been out of the country or not. so long you can register with them you're all good. there's no need to tell your new gp or old one you've been out of the country. just need an address to give to them when you register. Alternatively apply for an European Health Insurance Card which is free and pop over to france for free medical treatment.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Robin is that down to Pay related social insurance payments??

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
30 minute lunch break for my crew, and it seems to extend to 45 mins quite often

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Did a job on the west coast several years ago. Equipment got loaded on ship for export. Longshoremen did the loading. Their schedule follows:

8:00 AM start, 15 minutes walk on time from where they parked 200 feet from dock.
9:15 AM to 9:30 AM walk off time for 9:30 to 9:45 Break, 9:45 to 10:00 walk back time.
11:45 to 12:00 Noon walk off time for 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM lunch, 1:00 PM to 1:15 PM walk back on time.
2:15 to 2:30 PM walk off time for 2:30 to 2:45 break, 2:45 to 3:00 PM walk back on time.
4:45 to 5:00 PM walk off time , quit at 5:00 PM.

That comes to a total of 5.5 hours per day. All in their contract.

I won't say that this is typical of all the Longshoreman Locals, but was for this one.

This is similar to the rental work I do for Union Pacific. Most of the time I just move the equipment in and out while some of the more "seasoned" operators fill the seats.

I have come to the realization that it takes a special kind of person to work for the railroad. Being able to watch paint dry and watch the grass grow is a must. Plenty of reading material and a large enough lunch box to carry a thanksgiving feast also helps.
I guess I'm too hyper and self motivated to fit in with that crowd. There have been days where I've sat in a loader, taken the mandatory rest breaks, lunch breaks and sat thru the safety briefings without even turning a wheel....and billed UP for 12 hrs. Those were some of the longest days of my life.

As far as breaks....I take them if I have to. I'd rather work thru and go home early.

BPMfore

We eat when we get a break during the day, don't take 30 minutes,just 10 - 15 minutes.Plus our 10-15 break for coffee around 9:30.

trainwreck

This is similar to the rental work I do for Union Pacific. Most of the time I just move the equipment in and out while some of the more "seasoned" operators fill the seats.

I have come to the realization that it takes a special kind of person to work for the railroad. Being able to watch paint dry and watch the grass grow is a must. Plenty of reading material and a large enough lunch box to carry a thanksgiving feast also helps.
I guess I'm too hyper and self motivated to fit in with that crowd. There have been days where I've sat in a loader, taken the mandatory rest breaks, lunch breaks and sat thru the safety briefings without even turning a wheel....and billed UP for 12 hrs. Those were some of the longest days of my life.

As far as breaks....I take them if I have to. I'd rather work thru and go home early.

I dont know how the railroad gets anything done, all the do is sit around and go to safety meetings. there has been time where i sat for days and did nothing, but we still billed them for what ever time i was on site.

As for breaks, we eat when ever we can, someday you might get to sit for 20-30 minutes and eat other days you eat as fast as you can and keep working all day.

alanmurfee

Occupation
Blogger
Ours is for 45 minutes lunch break and two 15 minutes tea break as well, one in the morning and one in the evening.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Breaks and food occur when the opportunity comes along. However they get paid for a complete day. Sometimes we will have a scheduled down time for lunch but not often.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On the job at 6:30 no later than 6:45. Machines roll at 7.

If it's all operating time (no manual labor) then lunch break at 11:30 with no set breaks in between. :30 min lunch break usually takes :45 but I only cut 1/2 hour. Quit at 3:30 for an 8 hour day or work OT if the job requires it.