• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How interchangeable are pins and bushes?

Simon Sprott

I've bought a Messersi M22U mini digger, the dealer wants a ridiculous amount of money for a set of pins and bushes, I was wondering whether these things are pretty much the same for all mini diggers, so if I find a JCB pin that is 30mm and the correct length can I just use that? The bushes I assume have finer tolerances so I guess they have to be spot on, but again are they fairly standard between machines?

Vetech63

I've bought a Messersi M22U mini digger, the dealer wants a ridiculous amount of money for a set of pins and bushes, I was wondering whether these things are pretty much the same for all mini diggers, so if I find a JCB pin that is 30mm and the correct length can I just use that? The bushes I assume have finer tolerances so I guess they have to be spot on, but again are they fairly standard between machines?
All you need to do is have accurate measurements of what you need, and make sure they are the correct hardness. 30 mm is the same on your machine as it is on any other that has 30mm pins, the same with the bushings.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It isn't the measurements that make the difference in price. It's the metallurgy and partnership between the bushing and the pin. They are mated in hardness to wear equally.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I found with Case backhoe, size was nominal. Order a bushing, it'll match the pin. I found them to be slightly undersized. Can't remember the 2" pin dimension, sticks in my mind it was something like .012 under.

Simon Sprott

Thanks, I think I'll bit the bullet and get the manufactures ones. Just feel a bit ripped off as they seem to be massively overcharging for them.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, I think I'll bit the bullet and get the manufactures ones. Just feel a bit ripped off as they seem to be massively overcharging for them.
There are many sources for pins & bushings other than dealer. I use ConEquip & Broken Tractor. Typical prices are about half what I pay at the dealer.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I haven't priced them, but there is a facility in Vermont where they make them to your specs.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
IMO: I see no reason a local machinist cant make them out of 4340. Bring him your old pin and he'll make you a new one.
They can be hardened if you wish, or you can buy pre-hardened 4340 and the machinist can simply machine that. Material costs are just outrageous these days.
America needs to get back in the steel game.