• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How high can it go

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
When do you get the GPS?

I can't agree more with replacing labor with technology.

I'd be real interested to hear your experience with it.

I've considered getting a base and rover just because I can't always rely on surveyors. Everyone is always 2-3 weeks out and when the job is in constant flux with weather/change orders I can't abide the delay. I know it won't always be this way, but I can't tell you, or maybe I can...lol, how many times I've been on the site lately thinking....man GPS sure would be nice.

Thought about getting base/rover and then later upgrading to some machine control. I still don't have a dozer so it's sort of a moot point.

Savman we put our order for the GPS system in last Friday with a 4-6 week lead time. The base station and rover is roughly 1/2 of the cost with machine control the other 1/2.

Sometimes we can't depend on what the surveyors layout out when they do show up.

savman

Dang I could have swore I talked to somebody that was a Topcon dealer a year or so ago and base + rover was 30k.

I assume you are going Trimble? Also I don't know enough about them to know the capabilities of what I was quoted vs your package. As an example a 7 second vs a 2 second total station.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Dang I could have swore I talked to somebody that was a Topcon dealer a year or so ago and base + rover was 30k.

I assume you are going Trimble? Also I don't know enough about them to know the capabilities of what I was quoted vs your package. As an example a 7 second vs a 2 second total station.

Yes going Trimble through Sitech.

Our local Leica dealer quoted us a base station and rover in the $45-50K range with a $100K all in package with machine control for our D3. I really liked the Leica system but Leica has an exclusive territory agreement with our Deere dealer so that won't work, been around long enough to know if we had an issue it will be a finger pointing fiasco - it's Cat's fault, it's Leica's fault, etc, etc.

I haven't broken the Sitech quote down but I assume the costs are split similarly as Leica's. We're looking at total GPS, no total station. Total stations are more accurate than what we are looking at. All we need to get to is +/- .10' of proposed grade.

ianjoub

I'd like to know your ideas on that as well. For me anyway I like to know my financing costs before I purchase something with a loan.
I got an ARM (adj rate mort) at a lesser interest rate than a fixed. If I were to refinance, 1. the rate would go up. 2. If the rate does go up, refinancing would cost up front points. 3. If it goes up, I can just write a check and be done with it.

As I said, overly broad statement. There are times it makes sense.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Cuttin edge. I assume that is price per gallon. In sunny manitoba we are $ 203.2 per litre or $922.41 per gallon.
Yes, it's $2.45 or $9.27 per gal, $7.28 US here in New Brunswick. Gas is $1.81. Going up .11 cents tonight. Just noticed that there is no cents sigh on a computer keyboard.

Shimmy1

I got an ARM (adj rate mort) at a lesser interest rate than a fixed. If I were to refinance, 1. the rate would go up. 2. If the rate does go up, refinancing would cost up front points. 3. If it goes up, I can just write a check and be done with it.

As I said, overly broad statement. There are times it makes sense.
Well, thank you for clarifying. An adjustable rate on a 20 year purchase is a bit different than an adjustable rate on a several hundred thousand dollar machine that you have to pay for in 3-5 years, as you explained.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used to be adjustable rate loans based against Prime Rate, banks had issues with those as had clauses on limited adjustments over a fixed time span. Last one I had was One Adjustment every four years, that one slipped instead of rose as seemed to hit the Prime Rate Drops rather than rises where the loan manager pled with me to refinance as was losing them money. Had that loan ten years and a few months and not once did it tag a rise then sold the property. The late 70s had some weird/wild attempts at Adjustable Rate systems.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Used to be adjustable rate loans based against Prime Rate, banks had issues with those as had clauses on limited adjustments over a fixed time span. Last one I had was One Adjustment every four years, that one slipped instead of rose as seemed to hit the Prime Rate Drops rather than rises where the loan manager pled with me to refinance as was losing them money. Had that loan ten years and a few months and not once did it tag a rise then sold the property. The late 70s had some weird/wild attempts at Adjustable Rate systems.

i wish I understood a word of that. Fortunately my only debt is my mortgage and my service truck payment and I owe less on the house.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think we have seen the last of cheap interest rates for a while. They raising the interest rates rapidly. I would use the cheap interest instead of cashing out equipment that I could have paid for to keep operating capital high. That philosophy I don't is going to work out any more.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In 1979 I purchased a Industrial Rental Income Property but to gain that purchase I had to sign a Adjustable Rate Mortgage, ARM with a four year revision clause. I used that Shop and lot for close to three years off and on as a Independent Mechanic mainly as a Base of operations until I moved to a different locale and rented that property to another mechanic for his workshop. I retained ownership and made payments on it where at a Four Year mark that loan was set to adjust against Prime Rates, in '83 had a Prime DROP where my loan went down .2 point all the while the kid that had written that note basically tried to convince me I NEEDED to get into a Fixed Rate loan most of which in 80/81/82 were Screaming UP. Then again across to 87 prime DROPPED a full Three Points and the same context had been played out but my note went DOWN again. By the time I sold that building (At a LOSS;)) rates were still down and the other guy bought it from me thru that same bank, Half a Point LOWER than I was paying!!:) Missouri First State Bank was bought up not long after by IIRC First Bank Corp. ARMs became Annual or Semi Annual review thru them.

suladas

It's insane how fast rates have went up. I had a 1.99% variable mortgage and locked it in in october at 2.09%, now that rate is around 4% couldn't have timed it better. With rates jumping so high it really made sense to sell the rentals, unless you raise rent through the roof won't be making any money. I've got to assume equipment financing rates went up a ton. I've paid between 7-8% years ago I would they got to be like 10% now.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's insane how fast rates have went up. I had a 1.99% variable mortgage and locked it in in october at 2.09%, now that rate is around 4% couldn't have timed it better. With rates jumping so high it really made sense to sell the rentals, unless you raise rent through the roof won't be making any money. I've got to assume equipment financing rates went up a ton. I've paid between 7-8% years ago I would they got to be like 10% now.
It was easy to see they were going up. The Turdo put the rates down to " Help Canadians get out of debt". Everyone went farther into debt, and now they're screwed. I'm locked in till 25, and then I suspect my house payment will take a huge jump. Fuel is $2.57 now, gas is $1.91

suladas

It was easy to see they were going up. The Turdo put the rates down to " Help Canadians get out of debt". Everyone went farther into debt, and now they're screwed. I'm locked in till 25, and then I suspect my house payment will take a huge jump. Fuel is $2.57 now, gas is $1.91

Yea it was expected they would rise but not as quickly or as far as they have. As much as I don't want to wish bad on others, the higher they are the more it benefits me.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Yea it was expected they would rise but not as quickly or as far as they have. As much as I don't want to wish bad on others, the higher they are the more it benefits me.

Your customers aren't affected by higher interest rates?

chidog

I'd like to know what airlines pay for a gallon of jet fuel? 1 gallon of kerosene at a hardware store is just nuts.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I'd like to know what airlines pay for a gallon of jet fuel? 1 gallon of kerosene at a hardware store is just nuts.
Probably about .99 cents per gallon. It seems to me that they don’t always have to play by the same rules.