• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How high can it go

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Airline-fuel.PNG

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Not sure about the US, but I asked the other day about the price of fuel, and the operating costs this summer, and I was told that the company gets money from the government to help off set the costs of fuel. Only for infrastructure projects, not private, but that would be a huge help.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
********* ** **'* ******. **** *** ** ***** *****. *********

(Can't talk out loud about those things)
The thing that concerns me, and while I am glad to have my employer have help, cause if they don't make money, I don't make money.... is this a case of help the big guy, and screw the little fella?

Shimmy1

The thing that concerns me, and while I am glad to have my employer have help, cause if they don't make money, I don't make money.... is this a case of help the big guy, and screw the little fella?
Depends on your perspective I guess. There isn't a safety net for me, why should there be one for anyone. I guess if they have like a 5 year contract for work, and this is a fuel surcharge when fuel gets above "X" dollars per gallon, then that's one thing.

Personally, I wish the gubment would just quit trying to help.

suladas

Your customers aren't affected by higher interest rates?

Some are, but many build with cash or are doing upgrades with cash, if the real estate market tanked it would have more of an effect for sure. One of the things right now keeping me busy is house demos though which are largely not dependent on the market, the city is starting to clamp down on them being vacant because homeless keep getting into them and threatening owners with fines or tearing them down themselves and billing them for it. Which i'm happy to do, i'd rather do all demos and not even bother with excavation if I had enough of them it's way better money. But for my costs my only debt is my mortgage which the rate is locked until early 2027 no other debt at all and i'm going to be lending out a fairly substantial amount in the next few months so the higher rate I can get the better, or if things are looking like they are going to take a bad turn using the cash to buy up stuff to flip. So if things stay busy i'm happy, but i'd guess I will profit as much or more if things take a turn.

suladas

Holy crap that's a big difference between gas and diesel, I thought diesel being like 10-15% more here was stupid.

joe--h

I think a couple weeks ago there was article about Jet shortage on the East coast & it was coming in by sea rather than pipelines.
That would raise the price some.
Joe H

chidog

Those prices represent, Jet fuel for the average small guy (business jets, helicopters etc) costs way more than for the airlines. First off our inflated prices pay their way, then there may have been some incentive we may not know about that let them switch to jets back in the early days of jet airliners. Famous Eddy Rickenbacker that ran Eastern airlines didn't like the jet engines at all, huge fuel hogs. Example years ago Boeing got huge tax reliefs from the state, I'm remembering 10 billion or so not sure. But if peeon chidog doesn't pay his tax what happens?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Last time I was part of a discussion on fuel, it came out that airlines buy their fuel in lots and pay what are essentially bid prices. What was explained to a few of us back then was that it worked similar to the stock market. The airline committed to a certain amount of fuel in a specified time period. This arrangement was a buy and pay so much whether you used the fuel or not. Say the airline committed to buying half a million gallons at say $2.00 per gallon for the first quarter of a year and didn't use the entire half million, that was too bad. Let's say that the fuel prices dropped during that first quarter, it wouldn't matter as the price was already paid. I don't know about the taxes for airlines but wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of advantage given for all the jobs they provide.

JD955SC

Bobby Goodson, owner of Goodson All Terrain logging is retiring and shutting down his company after 40 years in the business solely due to fuel costs. He announced it the other day.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I saw that on YouTube. I also saw something about a fuel shortage coming to the east coast. Anyone else hear anything?

AzIron

What's the possibility of market correction by retirement of companies