• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How heavy is too heavy

suladas

guys I don`t think the man is interested in running a hundred miles an hour he just wants to move his machine occasionaly

Sure, but that amount of HP still isn't going to do it. The only way that kind of HP would even hit 60 MPH is downhill with a massive tailwind. My 330hp truck is IMO borderline too little HP to be on the road because it just cannot get up to or maintain proper speed at certain times and that is 50% more HP and the truck is only a few years old which makes a massive difference. Considering the age of truck, i'd imagine it would kill the engine and/or transmission in short order if you tried it.

Wes J

What's the weight law like down there? In my state, I don't think you could scale that setup without permits.

Figure 22,000 for the truck, 14,000 for a tridem trailer. So you're already over 80,000 right there. But most of those pintle trailers are too short to scale 80,000 even with 3 axles. You also have trouble getting enough weight on the truck tandems.

Most guys here will try to stay under 30,000 lbs on the machine to pull with a tandem.

suladas

What's the weight law like down there? In my state, I don't think you could scale that setup without permits.

Figure 22,000 for the truck, 14,000 for a tridem trailer. So you're already over 80,000 right there. But most of those pintle trailers are too short to scale 80,000 even with 3 axles. You also have trouble getting enough weight on the truck tandems.

Most guys here will try to stay under 30,000 lbs on the machine to pull with a tandem.

Mine works out at 20,000 for the truck 15,500 trailer and 50,000 for the hoe. Allowed 53,000 on trailer axles, 12,500 goes on the truck. My trailer is 34' long, I can put all the weight on the truck I want, the hoe is probably 6' back from the front of the trailer with how I load it now.

Pretty common here to see guys pulling 200's behind dump trucks, i'd guess there is probably 10 other companies here i've seen doing it. So much more cost effective then a tractor and lowboy, and simple for short city moves.

Was talking to another guy last week with a 240, has a dump truck but has to pay someone to move hoe. Can't even bid on so many jobs because he cannot compete due to moving expense. Do some out of town jobs (maybe 20-30 mins out), by the time he would pay for moving 2 times there's no money in the job, can't be paying $1500-1800 to move a hoe on a $4500-5000 job. But for guys like me who move it myself, in one day come with machine dig, then back next day finish and bring hoe back there's good coin in it.

Wes J

You get a lot more weight than we are allowed. We are limited to 80,000 gross and 46,000 on triple axles. That machine would require a permit for every move in my state.

suladas

You get a lot more weight than we are allowed. We are limited to 80,000 gross and 46,000 on triple axles. That machine would require a permit for every move in my state.

It does require 2 yearly permits, one for over width, and one for the tridem axle group. But at $75/year for both, not a concern at all and one that anyone needs to move regardless if a tag or fifthwheel.

Wes J

I get the feeling it's a lot easier up there than here. In my state, you can get an annual permit for dimension, but not for weight (possibly in some narrow cases). And the weight permit is only good for state roads. Any county, township, or city road requires a separate permit. You can get an annual permit for a short trailer that does not meet federal bridge law, but again, only for state roads.

In fact, many county roads are still limited to the old state weight limit of 73280lbs.

It's a paperwork disaster. That's why more folks here stick with a smaller machine that does not need permits, or a really big machine that can justify the hassle.

1fastmofo

I've been told it's 54k in ms but I have not verified that, I'm now specifically looking for the ed150 which should be right at 35.5k my truck weights about 16 according to the local scale

rondig

Occupation
excavation
It is all about speed....3 times a month ....and your ok with 45-50 miles an hour down hill....then yep it would do it...tri axle trailer for sure....watch your temps on everything...also adding pintle/apron for 50t can get costly....trailer air and wiring is also fun.