• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How heavy is too heavy

1fastmofo

I'm in the market for a mid sized excavator specifically a kobelco bladerunner. I want to be able to move it on a pintle hitch trailer behind a l9000 tandem ford dump truck. Can it be safely done considering the machine to be a kobelco ed190 approx weight 45k

AzIron

With a 30 ton trailer yea but that also means the trailer will have three axles

you might be asking a lot of that l 9000 depending on what it's got for power

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You will be pushing limits with that, if 3208 T could have enough butt to get out of its own way. What type pintle is On the truck now? There are different ratings and types, best in this app is a six bolt air chamber dampened at least 50T unit to take the stress and not beat the back of the frame off the truck. They do make a 45T set up four bolt but is pretty well at the limits of what you are wanting to do with trailer weight/added buckets/attachments added in.

crane operator

45k excavator, 12,000lbs trailer, 20,000lb truck? 50,000lbs gross is about all you really want with a 3208. Some guys would say 30,000lbs is plenty.

I'd say you need more truck.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
But as flat as Gulfport, MS appears, do you think he maybe has a chance with the old 3208?

One of those things, run it until it earns the money to get a better truck maybe.

I know they are selling a lot of big trucks out of California due to emissions regulations....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Seen the lot of 3208 and 6.6 diesels with the guts destroyed trying to do too much with too little. The 7.8 and 3208T survived a little longer but do not deal well with too much weight. Hope he enjoys shifting, a LOT.

1fastmofo

Currently no pintle so i could add whichever one... The entire back "bumper" is gone. My truck is na...it wouldn't be moving it very often I'd say 3 times a month at most

AzIron

...when she sits on your face & u cant hear the stereo..
Sorry.. I thought this was the Humor forum..

Well there was the coffe spitting moment of my morning

If what you got is what you got you can make it work we've all been there and a lot of us are still there from time to time on the this is safe but it sucks parts of doing business

If your not moving but a few times a month in your situation I would either buy a slightly smaller machine or look to hire out the transport of it or spring for a truck with more engine

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Be easier to buy a strictly transport truck/trailer and buy big enough machines to handle most anything, it could sit with the machines until needed.

AzIron

D Miller said it that's actually ho I am set up but it cost a couple bucks to get there but it's way more convenient and for everything

The problem with the excavation business is what it takes in support equipment so your not at the mercy of others schedules

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I’ve owned a couple 3208 cats and it will be pretty weak. Yes it will pull it very slowly, I would bet you’ll never use the upper 2 gears in transmission
I’m sure you’ve loaded to the max already. How did it do?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had dump trucks come into the last public shop I worked, 3208 the older 1160, and 3208T all similar in power, T a little stronger, city delivery single axle tractors with them too. Most really weak on their own, add a little bed material with a trailer they were sick weak.

suladas

Not sure how much HP the 3208 is but I pull a similar setup with 330hp with Allison 6 speed and you're not going anywhere fast. Starting out on flat ground is ok, but getting going on a hill it's tough, it's very very slow. I would not even consider it with any less HP, or with similar HP on a tired engine.