• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far before you stay in a hotel

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
An hour to an hour and a half is pretty normal in the Seattle area if you live in the burbs and commute to down town. When I started working for the dealers, labor was pretty cheap, two hours drive to a job was OK for a weeks work and you went back and forth. When the changes came, the customers wouldn't let you leave until the job was done. When I got out of the truck it was common to leave on Monday, get home on Friday night or Saturday, sleep and change laundry on Sunday and Monday start all over again. That's not something I'm ever going to do again. Knock on wood.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
One of my customers works for Cat in the big city, and he lives way out a long dirt road. Drives his car out the road, down a long country road to finally get to the main highway, from there all the way to the dealer. Maybe 1/2 hour on crooked roads plus one hour on straight roads.

Funny thing is, he works in tech support. He could work from his house just as easy but they want him on site to hold that phone.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
When I was a road mechanic with a company truck the normal travel time was 1.5-2 hours when using my truck 1hour max .
I wouldn’t travel to where I had to get a room .already paying for one home not paying for two.