• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how do you move a dead excavator

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I will defer to those with specific JD/Hit knowledge but I will say I have never come across a procedure to move a dead excavator using an external hydraulic source. That's not to say it's not possible.
The usual way of thinking in the circumstances you are facing is to use a much larger machine than the failed excavator to do the towing and oversized everything in the towline, shackles, etc, dept.

fxbeaver

I will defer to those with specific JD/Hit knowledge but I will say I have never come across a procedure to move a dead excavator using an external hydraulic source. That's not to say it's not possible.
The usual way of thinking in the circumstances you are facing is to use a much larger machine than the failed excavator to do the towing and oversized everything in the towline, shackles, etc, dept.
unfortunatly i dont have access to a bigger machine.

Why do you need to tow ? Major engine failure? Electric fire? Hydraulic failure? Please remove cover from inside final post pic of travel motor area.

Sorry couldn’t see clear enough. Basically need to know how many hydraulic lines are in that housing. 3 probably has brakes internal to motor or requires motor to have hydraulic power 4 probably has brakes internal to final housing that line can be pulled and pressurized with ports power to release brake

fxbeaver

Sorry couldn’t see clear enough. Basically need to know how many hydraulic lines are in that housing. 3 probably has brakes internal to motor or requires motor to have hydraulic power 4 probably has brakes internal to final housing that line can be pulled and pressurized with ports power to release brake
There is 3

So pop final cover pull gear reinstall cover and tow will have no brakes. To hook another machine up hydraulically will require a fair amount of redneck engineering

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/11...k-in-mud-cant-be-moved-because-permits-needed
This machine was driven out with the aid of another machine and a powerpack connected to the boged digger. A bloody expensive exercise though. Usually machines have a design feature built in so they breakdown in the worst place on a job and that's why I advocate for the removal of the sprockets retaining bolts, no environmental damage, no mechanical damage because shyt can't get in. Also with an excavator with track drive problems the upper works can still be used to assist.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
One fellow I worked with years ago was from another dealer in the chain. He was saying at the shop he came from they had a powerpack type setup and they'd connect it to the drive motors when doing midlife overhauls. Split the hoe in half, walk the undercarriage out the door and then walk it back in again once it was time to put it all back together.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We had a hydraulic powerpack for towing the big Cat off-highway trucks. It could be hooked up to the dump body cylinders to dump the load if the truck happened to be that way. It provided hydraulic pressure to get the parking brake released, and also provided power for the on-board electric supplemental steering pump so the towed truck could both steer and stop. Fantastic, stupendous, it did exactly what it said on the can - the only drawback was that it cost around $100k...!! :eek::eek:

fxbeaver

We had a hydraulic powerpack for towing the big Cat off-highway trucks. It could be hooked up to the dump body cylinders to dump the load if the truck happened to be that way. It provided hydraulic pressure to get the parking brake released, and also provided power for the on-board electric supplemental steering pump so the towed truck could both steer and stop. Fantastic, stupendous, it did exactly what it said on the can - the only drawback was that it cost around $100k...!! :eek::eek:
oh ****!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can pull the sun gear in the finals for about thirty minutes of labor. You can pull the travel motors and cap the hoses for about $100 in caps and plugs and labor. You can unbolt the sprockets and probably leave them in place and hope they don't get tangled up in the tracks against the final and track frames for a couple of hours of labor. Add renting another machine to tow the broken unit onto a trailer to move it somewhere it can be repaired.

You can try to haywire some hoses into the main control valve and find some kind of other power unit to move the machine and pay at least of couple of days of finagling labor, the cost of the hoses and all the diapers you will need to catch the lost hydraulic oil that spills all over when you start breaking fittings loose. Add to that the cost of another machine with a hydraulic system and the same time to haywire the hoses into its system and then move the machine onto a trailer. It's all dollars and cents to which ever way to want to use your money.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You can pull the sun gear in the finals for about thirty minutes of labor. You can pull the travel motors and cap the hoses for about $100 in caps and plugs and labor. You can unbolt the sprockets and probably leave them in place and hope they don't get tangled up in the tracks against the final and track frames for a couple of hours of labor. Add renting another machine to tow the broken unit onto a trailer to move it somewhere it can be repaired.

If the tracks are properly adjusted the sprockets slip on the hub without any tangles, you can even do turns like on a windy road. As I've post before I had to do this on multiple occasions.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
If you run hydraulics to the main system to allow folding, braking, swing, etc, you still need electrics and switching to open the appropriate solenoids. Have a dead Kobelco digger with similar problems I'll get to some day. I plan on using a port-a-power to release the swing motor brake, and either the sun gear out or unbolt the drive sprockets to run it onto the trailer. Folding it up is just going to be messy and will all be done with a skytrak and chains/load binders.

Last edited:

Kiwi-truckwit

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/11...k-in-mud-cant-be-moved-because-permits-needed
This machine was driven out with the aid of another machine and a powerpack connected to the boged digger. A bloody expensive exercise though. Usually machines have a design feature built in so they breakdown in the worst place on a job and that's why I advocate for the removal of the sprockets retaining bolts, no environmental damage, no mechanical damage because shyt can't get in. Also with an excavator with track drive problems the upper works can still be used to assist.
I've picked up a dead excavator from ACE before. We lifted it with a crane, but it got to their yard on a transporter, with the help of a guy who has built a remote power-pack for recovering dead equipment