• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how do you like your deere part 1

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
this one is well done

Attachments

• burnslikeadeere1.jpg
    burnslikeadeere1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,348
  • burnslikeadeere2.jpg
    burnslikeadeere2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,335
  • burnslikeadeere3.jpg
    burnslikeadeere3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,353

JDOFMEMI

Love the fire extinguisher in the pic.
They are pretty useless if much more than a small electical meltdown.

Could have had 10 of them, probably not have made a difference.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
i think they are still working on fixing that problem, i heard it somthing to do with the bullet roter on the new ones. But i bet that guys is saying wooo hooo time 4 a new one after he gets the insurance cheak

jmac

Good point Steve, I have had a couple and lost on both, then they cancel you for having the nerve to ask for a check after paying them every month.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Not to mention lost work from being without a machine. Especially a combine, by the time it's replaced the work season will be over. I can't see anything positive coming from this.

wbardo

I prefer cat, over easy

DSC00939.jpg

Sorry, I know this isn't an ag picture. This was an incident our dept responded to. The operator was lucky, he always wears his seat belt (The other guys on the site said they never wear it) and all he had were a few bumps and bruises. The tree stopped him from making another loop into the creek. They had the excavator chained to their dozer but unhooked to move.

racsan

Occupation
assembler for a honda supplier plant
ive seen a 4wd deere articulate burnt to the ground in a feild a few years back. was hooked up to a chiesel plow. theres been a few combine fires in the area, mostly very old equipment that has alot of dust buildup and a hole in the engine exhaust pipe somewhere. by the time you realize thres a problem its past the point of being put out with a small extingusher. then by the time your local fire dept gets there its time to call your insurance co. and alot of us with old stuff dont carry that kind of coverage.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Have you ever dealt with insurance claims? I've never come out ahead or even broke even with them.

Every year there are fires started here by headers (combines) reaping lentils, there was one started two weeks ago, but fortunately it was a mild morning and all the farmers here have very good firefighting equipment. The fires seem to start by static electricity in the very fine lentil dust. A few years ago a header lit a fire in three places, which then spread into quite a major fire, doing quite considerable damage. The header was OK and there was nothing found on the machine to lead to the cause of the fire. The problem is, for insurance purposes, the header manufacturers will not accept that static electicity causes fires, and the the insurance companies always look for someone or thing or try to prove negligence, so that they can make someone else pay. If the manufacturers did accept that static electricity lit fires, they then leave themselves wide open for back claims. Everyone here drags chains on their headers to try and reduce the problem. A couple of years ago a friend of mine was reaping lentils with a late model John Deere and a fire started and the only indication they could find where it started, was on the step of the machine. After the fire was out, one the local CFS chaps grabbed hold of the chain on the header axle and the shock that he received, nearly threw him backwards. Later that night, they went back reaping the lentils, with the fire unit travelling alongside the machine and my mate reckoned that there were sparks every where as the reel picked up the lentils. I can relate several instances where the only cause of header fires appears to be static electricity. My cousin went back to his machine one night, an older model New Holland and found a patch of dust smouldering on top of the rotor. Do you have similar problems in other areas, because here it seems to be a bit of a grey area, but there is just no other explanation.

Rn'R.