• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I get this wheel off ?

Joe H

Old storage trailer, probably 10 years without moving but it's got to take a 1000 mile trip so needs some tires.

Got the LR outer off and inner says no way.

Gave it a drink of secret sauce and quit for the day.

Joe H

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 75

Truck Shop

Nothing wrong with stud pilot. left hand thread, if stuck on hub use a tire bar through hand
holds against drum to loosen or leave thimble nuts loose and remove jack and roll trailer
forward and back to loosen.

Joe H

I need a square socket to take those studs out ? If they're as tight as the nuts were I can see where that end just twists off.

Socket available where, and what's it called ? Guess call the tire shop in the morning might be my best option as this point. Rolling the trailer isn't going to happen, I have no way to move it. Brakes are an unknown too, although plenty of lining I can see.

Maybe the elves will come tonight and sort it out for me. Maybe not, can't depend on them, only the gremlins show up.

Joe H

Mike_27

I need a square socket to take those studs out ? If they're as tight as the nuts were I can see where that end just twists off.

Socket available where, and what's it called ? Guess call the tire shop in the morning might be my best option as this point. Rolling the trailer isn't going to happen, I have no way to move it. Brakes are an unknown too, although plenty of lining I can see.

Maybe the elves will come tonight and sort it out for me. Maybe not, can't depend on them, only the gremlins show up.

Joe H
It has been a while since I've used it, but i think this is the socket I have;

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I have seen a socket that cam in the tool boxes, nut socket one end and a square in the other and holes for a cheater bar. spose they are like rocking horse shyt now.

eastroad

13/16” square socket should be readily available on Amazon or ebay. Tire guy should have one on his truck if you hire the job out.
I like the idea of popping the tire off and mounting a new one without removing the rim from the truck, but I have never tried that on an inside dual. Done it a few times on a front wheel. If you can get the wheel off, that would be seem to be easiest way to do the job.

Truck Shop

Plus changing a tire while wheel mounted on axle--depends on side wall and casing.
The other is getting it seated even on the rim, rim should be off laying down on air up.

cfherrman

I had a guy change a front tire and he mounted it then seated the bead. I just did the same on one of my front tires with a can of ether. I really liked it and it can't go anywhere.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Been years since I even saw a Budd wheel, but after doing some looking I see several different sizes so guess it would be important to measure the square of that "nut". Also would I be right to recall that the "nut" is stamped "R" or "L" to let you know which way to turn them.