• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do combine operators know when to unload - from within their cab?

Cartoondude135

I'm not sure if Combine Harvester counts as a heavy equipment, but after watching this
- especially while eating jelly-filled donuts, I feel satisfied - as grain makes up bread, pastries, noodles, etc. and watching that grain pour out of the unloading auger makes me say "delicious".

But here's something I don't understand: (as I don't operate a combine) how does the combine operator know when it's time to unload the grain, corn, or beans... without even stopping the motion of the machine to climb up to the roof to check? I'm not sure how to describe this, but we as "outsiders" can clearly see the outside of the machine; it has an open roof, and when it gets to the full point, it looks like the grain/beans/corn is about to "boil over". But somehow, the combine operator knows when it's time to deploy the unloading auger and summon the grain wagon tractor without even stopping to check.

ahart

There’s a paddle switch at the top of the grain tank that as the grain level rises it contacts the switch and turns a light on in the cab, most farmers know how much longer they can go before it’s actually full depending on the quality of the grain being harvested.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
There’s a paddle switch at the top of the grain tank that as the grain level rises it contacts the switch and turns a light on in the cab, most farmers know how much longer they can go before it’s actually full depending on the quality of the grain being harvested.
You kind of sense time and distance and get good at being ready for the orange lights to start flashing; it's also embarrassing to let the grain run over the top of the hopper, as there's still grain pushing up in there and if you stop cutting usually it sets off a land slide of grain which you can hear pouring onto the cab roof and spilling down on the steps.

Old Doug

If you can the combine guy will start in a spot handy to unload the travel away from that spot until he has half a load so on the way back to that spot the combine will be full ready to unload.

terex herder

All modern combines have two bin level sensors, one for about 3/4 full, and another for clear full. Typically there is about 40 bushels of room after the full bin alarm before the golden shower. In good corn this about a 30 second warning. Once the cart operator can see the corn above the side of the tank he knows there isn't much time left. On some hillsides the corn may pour over the corner before the full alarm is triggered.

You don't ever want to fill going up a steep hill and have the corn pour over the rear of the tank into the engine compartment. The fan can grab the kernels and beat the fins on the radiator full shut.

ahart

The fan can grab the kernels and beat the fins on the radiator full shut.
This was one of my first field jobs when I worked at the Deere dealer, 9500 was black stacking under a load. Found the aftercooler fins beat flat from running corn over the back of the bin and going through the fan.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
As mentioned. they have pressure switches for alarms. Mine has 2, 75% and 100% full. the 75% full also turn on the outside strobes so the cart guy know to get going.
Plus almost every newer machine has a scale that measures grain combined. It can be set to zero after every unload. so the operator can see excactly how much is in the hopper.

56wrench

Well, if not using radios or other communication, the cart driver should know roughly when to expect that combine to be full, especially when going back and forth and be trailing the combine just out of the dust zone ready to pull under the auger before the tank runs over. A cart driver can see the grain piling up in the combines grain tank if they’re paying attention. I know because i used to occasionally run the grain cart if my wife was running the combine

ThatGuysFarm

Side view mirrors look directly at the windows in the hopper extensions and you get a really good idea. Once the window is full you better be swinging your auger out. And the guys that have years and years under there belt can tell how full at the max on how the combine is handling with body roll, power used (depending on how soft the ground is) etc. I was 98% of the time the truck driver so I was never that good. But my dad had that down to a science. But what else are you going to be thinking about for 18 hours a day for 45 days when you don't ever turn the radio on. And if your really worried and the cart is still 45 seconds away kick the auger on and fill it up so you can make it another 50 yards without stopping.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Exactly right! Fill that auger and hope the chaser meets you before the embarrassing rattle of grain against steel

terex herder

It is part of the combine operators job to make sure the cart driver can get back to the combine before its full. Sometimes, it means driving the combine slower, other times it means harvesting a different spot on the field. Harvest goes much faster when the combine driver and cart operator work as a team.

Around here, anyway, everybody is always short on trucks. This means the truck drivers are most important, so combine and cart need to work to minimize truck wait times. Some combine operators can't get their head around someone else in the process being more important than themselves.